I'm thinking of getting my 2nd bass at some point in the next few months. I was thinking of getting a Schecter Omen 5 (5 string bass). I decided to look on ebay, see if anywhere had them cheaper than the major stores, and I noticed that the Omen 6 (6 string bass) was generally less expensive. This seems kind of strange. Is there any disadvantage to having a 6 string bass over a 5? Is the neck wider, or do they just put more strings in the same space?
From what I remember, the neck is wider, but the strings are slightly closer together.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
More notes in one position, more notes in general, coolness factor goes up.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
i wanna get an Ibanez BTB 676 bass

i don't particularly like 5 string basses - why pay more when you could pay just a little more than that and get another string
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
Quote by Lilldjuret
I always thought the Omen 6 was a guitar.
it's true - the Schecter website only lists Omen 4, 5 and 8 string basses.
First off you have to ask yourself, "do I really need a high C?" I have owned a 5 and currently own a custom built 6 string made by myself. I love 6 string absses to death, my advice to you is to go to a store and jsut ry out some 5 and 6 strings and see what you like. As to the neck width and string spacing, string spacing on 5 and 6 string basses is generally 17 mm's as opposed to the 19 mm string spacing on a 4 string bass.

Bass-man
I went back and looked at one of the listings, and right, the Omen 6 is a guitar, I guess I should have double checked that. I figured that since Schecter didn't have it on their site it was an older, discontinued model.

Well, I'm mainly playing metal, so the 6th string, I think, won't do me as much good as the 5th. I'm using a 4 right now, still learning, I think if I make the switch early it'll make it easier down the road.
Mephysteaux, I personally went from a 4 String to a 6 (I had a SR300 Ibanez, now I have a Ibanez SR506 - excellent Bass for the money).

And I love my Metal, I can advise you that if you decide to get one, you'll never look back - *if* you really want more "freedom" then you currently have with your 4, that is

One thing I did to keep my motivated to really get used to the jump, was to learn songs that make use of a large number of notes, in varying positions, so that you're not just playing the same stuff +more strings.

For example, John Myung of Dream Theater makes good use of his 6 String in various compositions, both in DT and on his own
e.g. This: Solar Groove

But as long as you have the determination to play Bass, and don't have freakishly small hands, you should be able to get over the Wider Neck/more Muting that is involved. Plus you will have the freedom to try stuff like Chords and Multi-string arpeggios
for myself, i find that 4 string basses are very comfortable as well as 6 string basses.

i have a 5. and i'm not that fond of it :/

go figure.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.