Just joking but you see so many new players trying so hard to be like other players. When if they sought out there own tone to begin with it wouldn't take them twenty years like it did me.Concentrate on being a good player tone will come with that.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
nah
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
you know...just throwing it out there...its kind of sad how people get obssesed over tone and forget to actually keep playing....for example there was this kid here (i wont mentioned any names) that talked about his tone like it was great, and yeah it was pretty good...but in one of his profile mp3's his playing was ****ty as hell...and i dont know, it made me wonder...like the TS said, concentrate on your playing and tone will come to you

ps. not by any means im saying im a great guitar player
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Otsugua713
you know...just throwing it out there...its kind of sad how people get obssesed over tone and forget to actually keep playing....for example there was this kid here (i wont mentioned any names) that talked about his tone like it was great, and yeah it was pretty good...but in one of his profile mp3's his playing was ****ty as hell...and i dont know, it made me wonder...like the TS said, concentrate on your playing and tone will come to you

yeah, that is an issue, it also really pisses me off when some guy asks about getting a new guitar because he has one that's almost unplayable and people tel him to get a new amp instead.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
well yeah depends greatly on the guitar, i mean if you have a decent guitar and a ****ty amp, go for the amp but if your guitar is too ****ty to play go for the guitar....people seem to forget is guitar playing and not amp playing
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Otsugua713
well yeah depends greatly on the guitar, i mean if you have a decent guitar and a ****ty amp, go for the amp but if your guitar is too ****ty to play go for the guitar....people seem to forget is guitar playing and not amp playing

yeah I mean if someone has a guitar with razor sharp frets, super high action that can't be fixed, and a broken truss rod there will still be a bunch of people here that will tell him to get a new amp instead.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Also some people forget if you dont like your tone or the guitar or amp your playing your not going to enjoy playing.

And If its all about practice why even get a amp just sit there an practice scales and read theory for 5 years then get an amp. People forget this a hobby to most and with any hobby your trying to have fun play a few songs you like and spend your cash on something other then um drugs lol...

With that said yes i may suck at playing but everytime i pick up my guitar and play my gear i get a huge smile on my face. And thank the lord i dont have a spider... lol
Quote by Otsugua713

Probably me
I try to maintain a balance.
I'm always getting better at guitar, and I strive to become better, but I also toy around with my tone ALOT.
As of late, i've gotten closer to a pretty ideal tone for me. So, i've been working on my skills a bit more since my tone is nearly nailed down.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
thats what im trying to say...that there should be a balance...but personally i would lean more towards being a good guitar player than to have the greatest tone...for example, look at randy rhoads
Thanks for the responeses.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I can see what you're getting at, but our influences are what make us who we are as players. For example, SRV probably would've sounded very different if he hadn't loved Hendrix so much, same kinda thing with the new metal players who draw influences from Randy Rhoads and Dimebag. When you're starting out, it's probably beneficial to "copy" one of your favourite players, and then you can work those techniques and licks into your own style.

Becoming a complete carbon copy of someone else, though, is a different kettle of fish. Maybe that's what you meant, in which case, apologies for the rambling
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
well, i am a tone freak, i like my mids high and hate the typical metal sound or scooped mids harsh treble etc, i like bass at 7 mids 6 and treble 5...mgiht change when i get humbuckers however...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah I mean if someone has a guitar with razor sharp frets, super high action that can't be fixed, and a broken truss rod there will still be a bunch of people here that will tell him to get a new amp instead.

The great thing is that these days you can buy a very playable Squier Strat or Yamaha Pacifica & plug into a Roland Cube 30 relatively cheaply, & sound great if you know what you're doing. I can sound better on that rig than some noob or intermediate player on a PRS & a Rockerverb 50. It's in the hands, man. It took me years to accept that. I've been going after the EVH brown sound for so long, when I finally nailed it, I'm like "Whoa. Eddie still sounds waaaay better". I can sound almost exactly like him for some stuff, but it's all been done to death. It's fun to have that sound if I want it, but I'm more into bluesy stuff & Zakk now.
I like how Zakk doesn't do the tapping, whammy bar, or sweeps because it's cliche'd & overdone.
Like I told my friend John here, it's about finding good grooves & staying in the groove. Rhythm, syncopation, phrasing, & vibrato are EVERYTHING, & if you have that, it'll show on whatever gear you play.

Enough typing. I'm going to practice!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

also, i hate when puppies fight with unicorns. that's also really upsetting.

ts, are we saying that young guys should stop collecting gear in some vain attempt at sounding like their fav player?

not going to happen. they all do it. and they dont read threads that arent about them. they dont read stickies. and they dont care what fossils tell them.
they piss on us.

this is ug. they never learn.
i have a thread in EG right now, some kid bumped tonight. it was from 2005!

he was answering a three 3yr old question! how did he even find the thread?

anyway

and i was jay kaying kid.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at May 14, 2008,