Can someone tell me the best way to play chords on the bass? I mean, I know what composes a chord, etc etc, but I'm trying to learn chords because of my long term goal of learning how to play bass flamenco

I'm afraid this is something im going to have to learn this for myself...

Thanks all
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
playing a chord in flamenco is roughly the same technique just applied a little differently than one would apply it to metal or fusion.
you can do it with a pick, but just a careful sweeping motion with a finger should do it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
For chording stuff I like to play with all five fingers and pluck each string (or how many strings you're using for the chord) simultaneously it gives a really clean sound. Sweeping the strings on a bass can tend to get muddy.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at May 14, 2008,
^ this is true, but I sweep the strings and just mute the unplayed. I think that's part of the sound, atleast in the flamenco playing I listen to (which, sadly, is almost exclusively Les Claypool or Primus.)
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
You can either use a 'claw' technique, where you use the thumb and fingers to pluck all th strings in the chord together (as Bales said), or I sometimes strum down with a nail through all the strings for a sharper sound. Though again, as said before, this can get muddy in the lower registers.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
how about the fretting technique for chords

thanks for the input tho, everything helps
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Put your fingers just above the frets and hold the strings down so they play the correct notes, like normal, but on two or three or four strings. Hold a little harder than usual if you get some buzz.
tips: don't have your fingers cross each other, mute strings you aren't using.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

i know that, im talking about what is the best way to fret a chord. I mean, which frets do i press etc.

sorry for the unclear question
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
it quite obviously depends on the chord. I can't say which finger you'll always use for each interval, there's no golden rule of fingering otherwise we'd all be stuck playing the same shaped chords.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
start with the octaves, then add the 5th (I think, I don't remember all the terms).
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

the most economical way of playing it. I was thinking of stuff like not just moving up like [in degrees]
E - 1st
A - 3rd
D - 5th
g- watever

im not really sure thats really the correct or most effienct way to play them

is there a chord chart for basses anywhere?

Thanks
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
^probably.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

You can use any chord on bass that was made for guitar with a little shoe horning. In the end, a chord is a collection of notes. Any way you can play those collection of notes is fine. The 1st doesn't have to be in the bass, it can be anywhere as long as it sounds good. Once you start learning more you can start thinking about voicing for a purpose.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at May 14, 2008,
thats the kind of answer i was looking for

ill see if toying around w/ guitar chord charts will help any

thanks
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
For a good "chord shape", I like to put my pinkie on the desired root note (1), my ring finger on the fret before it on the next highest string (major 3rd, 2 frets for the minor 3rd) and then my index finger 2 frets before, one string down (1 fret for minor) for the 5th. You can barre the 5th on the G string for the octave. Simple shape, but you'll want to mix it up.

So, an A chord would be 5 on the E, 4 on the A, 2 on the D (2 on the G for the octave). Bm would be 7 on the E, 5 on the A, 4 on the D (4 on the G for the octave). Same hand patterns for any root.

Also, if you want a major/minor 10th instead of the 3rd (i.e. an octave of the 3rd), play a power chord with your middle finger on the "fret in between" on the G string for a major 10th, or just barre the root note for a minor 10th. i.e. A major would be 5 E, 7 A, 7 D, 6 G, and B minor would be 7 E, 9 A, 9 D, 7 G.

Anyway, those are 2 really simple shapes. Now devise some sort of strumming pattern to finish the sound.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I starting to think that im approaching flamenco in the wrong way. Maybe i should focus on flamenco bass [which is pretty interesting in itself] instead of trying to imitate guitar.

too bad Jaco de Lucia doesnt log on anymore. anyone else here play flamenco so I can talk to you about it? thanks
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
^ you have yet to even begin truly telling us what you want explained.

There is no simple formula for chord shapes, or fingerings, or anything like that. It's all self discovery. There are some common ones, but there are different ways to finger them. There are ones that are masterful that no one will ever know: its nearly all self discovery. I'd personally advise you to stop trying to figure out how to learn, and simply trying to learn.

On the other hand, here are the most common chords. They are all movable as I have not included any open notes, but I will simply tab them with a chord I feel like tabbing lol.
Note the slight Tool reference.

G  G5 G5/D
-4--7--7-
-5--5--5-
-5-----5-
---------

Bb F  C5/G
-----------
-8--7--10--
-5--8--10--
-----------

Bm Bm/F# Bm D/F#
-7--7-----7--7-
-9--9-----9--7-
----9-----9--9-
----------7----

as you can see, all just chords or doublestops. What makes them flamenco is how you play them.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
And doesn't Jaco de Lucia play bass along with flamenco players, as opposed to the (getting clichee) "flamenco bass" by himself?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
bass, as a whole, is the glue to stick the rythym and melody together with. Jaco De Lucia made his own bass style, but it was still flamenco bass.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

the fitz, what do you mean? to my knowledge, he played flamenco bass lines, which i'm thinking of focusing on instead of trying to imitate flamenco on the guitar.
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
He means that he just played stuff that sounded nice with flamenco guitar, not actual flamenco style. I think.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by InvaderRen
the fitz, what do you mean? to my knowledge, he played flamenco bass lines, which i'm thinking of focusing on instead of trying to imitate flamenco on the guitar.

Well, yeah. There are many videos of people playing chords on bass in a certain way with many people going "OMG FLUMENKO!" (i.e. playing flamenco guitar on bass). What I'm saying is that I understand that Jaco de Lucia doesn't play that kinda stuff - more like the bass accompaniment to flamenco guitar. I take that is what you want. Now, why not try a PM? Consider it an answering machine. He'll answer when he gets back.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Understood fitz

I PM'd him a couple of months ago. Still hopeful.

I'm considering making it my goal for the summer. Either this or phingerphunk [still waiting for it to catch on, heh]
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING