well i have a friend hes a pretty good guitarist better then my other friend whos in the band i say the or our cause i dont want to seem like a douchebag with a giant ego but im thinking should i replace him with a better guitarist like he sings better also but he also is like a stoner and doesnt know much music theory but my other friend knows music theory and is clean but yea hes not that good at guitar plus he looks kinda nerdy and my bass player doesnt really like him but hes like my best friend sorry for the horrible grammar but yea and suggestions?
I honestly, true to god, hope a grammer nazi puts you in a oven
That's the jizz
well I'll just have them like have a guitar duel and i see what happens.
In this case, I think you should first consider the attitude of your current guitarist. From what you described, he doesn't sound like a bad addition to a band at all. You said that he's a pretty good guitarist and that he's a better singer than the other guitarist. The two areas he lacks in compared to the other guitarist, guitar playing abilities and music theory, can be improved. He can become a better player and he can learn music theory if he's willing to put the time in. So I think if he's willing to work it would be best if you keep you. I think the nerdy look is a very minor problem and I think it would be very shallow to replace him because of it.

The drug use, however, is a potentially very big problem. Is it interfering with his work? Do you find drug use morally wrong?

I think you should also consider how well you get along with each guitarist. I'm assuming that you get along with the first one very well because you said he's your best friend. But how close are you with the second one? You want people that you get along well with and work well with in a band in order to be successful.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
I get along with both but my current guitarist is very uptight and his parents are strict plus he lives far away but the other guitarist i dont mind that he uses drugs but im just worried if he joins then he might miss practice due to being high or something or get in trouble but yea
^Do you find him too uptight? Is transportation a problem? Are his parents causing problems?

As for the second guitarist's drug use, I think his reliability depends on which drugs he's taking, how often he's taking them and the kind of person he is. Is he a responsible person?
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by thedefrockednun
PLZ LETS NOT START THUS CONVERSATION AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stop before damsascus and slacker arrvie, im beggin you.

for drugs see this thread and your gna wanna commit suicide: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14246400#post14246400

Too late, I'm here.
Cheers for reminding me, I'd forgotten all about that thread so I've just been back and made another post.
Like I said in the other thread, if the drug use isn't causing any problems in the band, there's no point in addressing it, it's his life to do with as he pleases, but if it ever becomes a problem, then it will need dealing with before the problem really gets out of hand.

Quite honestly thread starter, he's your buddy and you'll feel like a right bastard if you sack him, why not just add the other guitarist and have two guitar players?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 15, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Too late, I'm here.
Cheers for reminding me, I'd forgotten all about that thread so I've just been back and made another post.
Like I said in the other thread, if the drug use isn't causing any problems in the band, there's no point in addressing it, it's his life to do with as he pleases, but if it ever becomes a problem, then it will need dealing with before the problem really gets out of hand.

Quite honestly thread starter, he's your buddy and you'll feel like a right bastard if you sack him, why not just add the other guitarist and have two guitar players?

well the guy who does drugs isnt a seriously drug addict he just uses it like once in a while.
but my problem is my current guitarist is really ignorant and uptight hes like"if I could I wouldn't vote for obama causes hes black and muslim" and hes Korean so I'm like okay..
Then I was having a conversation about a certain gigantic partical smasher and hes gets pissed off and says "I'm sorry but none of that is true the only thing that could destroy the universe is god since he made it"

Then I was walking out of this class with this kid he doesn't like and he gets pissed off even though I'm doing horrible in the class thats why I'm talking with him to help me get a better grade hes really getting on my nerves

the other friend who isn't in the band I had no problems with what so ever hes funny hes also Christian but he isn't insane and ignorant, hes a good song writer since the hasn't Korean guy has written and recorded one song to date and he also played for me a song he made like a riff and it sounded horrible.. like it seemed like he was playing random notes but yet he says he knows alot of music theory but the guitarist that isn't in the band has recorded plenty of songs and has them on myspace and they all sound good.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
and by drugs all I mean is weed.
no crack or meth or somthing.
Quote by Stress Cow
but my problem is my current guitarist is really ignorant and uptight hes like"if I could I wouldn't vote for obama causes hes black and muslim" and hes Korean so I'm like okay..

Get rid of *him*. Someone that uptight will only be a problem as you go forward in the music industry, because most of it does drugs to some extent and it's probably one of the most colourblind and tolerant industries to be in (seriously, how can a guitarist not respect black people? They only bloody invented the basis for 90% of modern music...)

The weed will probably be harmless unless it's damaging his playing or his commitment. Hell, it'll probably make him more creative. Don't worry about that for a bit. Something like 30 % of Americans have tried weed, and who's betting lots of them play music as well? You'd be in a bit of trouble tracking down a new musician where you can be certain they don't and won't do drugs.

Keep the friend, get rid of the idiot. Good relationships within a band are absolutely essential.
Quote by Samzawadi
Get rid of *him*. Someone that uptight will only be a problem as you go forward in the music industry, because most of it does drugs to some extent and it's probably one of the most colourblind and tolerant industries to be in (seriously, how can a guitarist not respect black people? They only bloody invented the basis for 90% of modern music...)

The weed will probably be harmless unless it's damaging his playing or his commitment. Hell, it'll probably make him more creative. Don't worry about that for a bit. Something like 30 % of Americans have tried weed, and who's betting lots of them play music as well? You'd be in a bit of trouble tracking down a new musician where you can be certain they don't and won't do drugs.

Keep the friend, get rid of the idiot. Good relationships within a band are absolutely essential.

well yea the korean friend never talks about going into the music industry his dream is to "become a famous director" so hes not even commited to music I had some death metal and some pantera on my myspace and then he put all those bands on his myspace I mean some people differ in musical taste but he just copyed all the bands like exactly he doesn't look for other bands to listen to its annoying then i asked him to name the members or cannibal corpse or pantera .. he couldn't name them its like he just wants to play guitar to impress people.

while the other friend who isn't in the band he knows most members of pantera but he doesn't even like pantera he knows alot of bands he like some bands that I do and he also like some other bands and his dream is to go into the music industry plus he loves bob marleys music and is very open minded.

my only worry is the current guitarist will freak out if I kick him out and yea talk alot of sht about me and liek threaten to fight me even though he does that alot with this one guy well he never threated this guy but yea he talks alot of **** but never does anything.
Quote by Stress Cow
Upon further reflection, I'm leaning towards complete agreement with Samzawadi here. Good relations within the band are paramount, it's what comes first in importance in any band. Strained relations in a band just don't usualy work out.

Look theocao, at some point, you are just gonna have to stand up to this guy
Seriously, you can't have guys in the band that are only there because they'll have a tantrum if they are asked to leave. That's not how bands work. Bands are all about the members respecting one another, looking after one another and helping each other out.
Talk to the rest of the band first and see if they are in agreement with you, and if they are, confront the guy 'as a band' and tell him your problems with him.
Give him an ultimatum that if he doesn't change his ways and start to treat you with a little respect, then it will be impossible for the band to continue with him. Give him a chance to change (because if you don't, you won't be any better than he is) then if he doesn't, kick him out. He's already had his warning so if it happens it'll be his own silly fault and he should be expecting it anyway.

If the rest of the band don't agree with you, leave, find the other guitarist and put a new band together with him, you'll probably be much happier that way.