Page 1 of 2
Lately I've been trying to expand what I listen to as for metal, but the only thing I can't really seem to get into are the really deep gutteral and growled vocals some bands have, specifically in death metal. I am fine with them when there are just short parts of them in songs, but I can't listen when the whole song is that kind of vocals. I realize that a lot of these bands have some of the best playing in metal and its something that I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on. If you guys could name a few bands and albums as a starting point, it would be greatly appreciated.
Dimmu Borgir and Opeth were really easy for me to get into when I first started getting into the darker side of metal. They're both great bands as well, and I'm sure you'll see a lot of Opeth support around here. Rightly so.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Maybe some Death will help you get into death metal. They were one of the first death metal bands I listened to, and they are still one of my favorites. Chuck Schuldiner had great vocals. They weren't like a really low growl, more like a scream and on some of the first albums a more mid range growl.

And, although they aren't death metal, Children of Bodom also helped me get into harsh vocals.

Hope that helps

Edit: and +1 to Opeth. Mikael has some of the best growls in metal. And not only that, he has a great clean singing voice as well.
Last edited by IronMaiden5 at May 14, 2008,
Opeth is really the best way to go. Before them I hated those vocals, couldn't understand the lyrics and they got anoying but with Opeth is different because the vocals are not sooo deep or forced and the lyrics can be understood. Besides Opeth is a great band overall so I think you'll get into it, hopefully.
Suffocation - Breeding the Spawn.

Great band with pretty brutal vocals, though not as brutal as you can get. The technicality helped me get into the deeper vocals, but Cany Corpse is still either out of my league or I just don't like them.

Also, I'm not one for subtlety /shrug
Yeah I recently started listening to Opeth and they are a great band. I already listen Dimmu Borgir as well. COB is pretty good too, but I'm fine with Alexi's screams, they were one of the first bands that got me into some harsher vocals as well.
Personally, I've never been the biggest fan of Opeth. However, if you want to get into the deeper growling style, then they're probably the best way to go.

I'd also recommend checking out Illdisposed's album 1-800-Vindication.

I got into the vocal style with Morbid Angel, though, so I'm probably not the best guy to ask.
Morbid angel
Quote by Zugunruhe
"sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will violate me sexually."
Quote by Sibbhat
Suffocation - Breeding the Spawn.

Great band with pretty brutal vocals, though not as brutal as you can get. The technicality helped me get into the deeper vocals, but Cany Corpse is still either out of my league or I just don't like them.

Also, I'm not one for subtlety /shrug

Nah, I would definately say that Frank Mullen has more brutal vocals than both Chris Barnes and Corpsegrinder. Their all good though. The most brutal you can get is either Devourment or Guttarl Secrete.
I guess I just don't like CC then, not that Ive heard anything other than Tomb of the Mutilated.

The first 30 seconds or so of I Cum Blood (Live) is always good for lulz though
if you can handle it besides morbid angel try

hate eternal
hour of penance
beneath the massacare
through the eyes of the dead
Emeth really isn't thet low but still good,
abysmal torment is great
Quote by Zugunruhe
"sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will violate me sexually."
i also suggest death i also don´t like so much the growls and thats stuff , but death its very easy to listening and also chuck its a excellent musician , maybe later you could try listening cannibal corpse but try to get used to death first , thats what i´m doing
Quote by the~unforgiven
Lately I've been trying to expand what I listen to as for metal, but the only thing I can't really seem to get into are the really deep gutteral and growled vocals some bands have, specifically in death metal. I am fine with them when there are just short parts of them in songs, but I can't listen when the whole song is that kind of vocals. I realize that a lot of these bands have some of the best playing in metal and its something that I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on. If you guys could name a few bands and albums as a starting point, it would be greatly appreciated.

You need to check out Opeth, bro. If they don't do it for you, then I don't believe that any type of Death Metal will work for you. Remember, it's kind of an acquired taste.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Opeth definitely got me into some of the more heavier bands vocal wise....still can't get into the brutal stuff like Dying Fetus, CC, Behemoth, Nile, etc.

I agree with Death being a good starting point, also go and check out Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, The Red Chord (I know they're core but doesn't really matter), The Black Dahlia Murder(half high pitched shrieks, half death growls), Abigail Williams (same as BDM), and maybe some Morbid Angel. All these bands vocalists have somewhat low growls (except for Arch Enemy, Angela has more of a deep evil shriek) but they aren't ultra low like the Cannibal Corpse like bands which I don't like at all personally.
Start with something 'easy-going', like maybe early Cannibal Corpse (90-94), Deicide (Once Upon the Cross and Serpents) or Morbid Angel - Domination. Don't just jump straight into brutal stuff, it'll put you off
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by I,Voyager
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4yu_B2pnOJE

Some nice, lighter growls to start with.

God, that was amazing, I'd never heard Disgorge before until just now.

And for other vocals, try Wormed LOLZ

No, seriously, Vehemence might be a good place to start.
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
Quote by Thirteen_Dreams
I'd also recommend Amon Amarth's Versus the World album.

Yeah that'll do.
Best band of all time: OPETH.
I love angela Gossow. do you?
Quote by Garret.
My friend found nudity on youtube the other day

that was definitely a highlight of my life
Quote by IronMaiden5
Maybe some Death will help you get into death metal. They were one of the first death metal bands I listened to, and they are still one of my favorites. Chuck Schuldiner had great vocals. They weren't like a really low growl, more like a scream and on some of the first albums a more mid range growl.

And, although they aren't death metal, Children of Bodom also helped me get into harsh vocals.

Hope that helps

Edit: and +1 to Opeth. Mikael has some of the best growls in metal. And not only that, he has a great clean singing voice as well.

Neiter Death or CoB use growls. Try the very groove oriented stuff like slam and some NY Style.

Some Dying Fetus, Dawn of Demise, some Decapitated, etc. And stuff like that too.
Definitely Opeth

Also various Melodeath bands
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by IronMaiden5

+1

Also maybe Atheist? They have really technical playing and the guy's growl isn't really low and gurgled.
Quote by Silent_Jester13
This is the biggest collection of ADD i've ever seen.
Quote by Stoner0405
Neiter Death or CoB use growls. Try the very groove oriented stuff like slam and some NY Style.

Some Dying Fetus, Dawn of Demise, some Decapitated, etc. And stuff like that too.

I didn't say they did. I said that Cob and Death helped me get used to harsh vocals. And yes, Chuck did use a somewhat mid range growl on the first couple of albums. And Dying Fetus is an an awful recommendation for some one that says they don't like low growls. I like them, but John has low growls, which is something that the threadstarter said he didn't like.
Possessed, "Symphonies of Sickness" by Carcass
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Quote by TrasherFromHell
Opeth is really the best way to go. Before them I hated those vocals, couldn't understand the lyrics and they got anoying but with Opeth is different because the vocals are not sooo deep or forced and the lyrics can be understood. Besides Opeth is a great band overall so I think you'll get into it, hopefully.

+235246244

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Definitely Opeth

Also various Melodeath bands

OPETH IS LIKE, THE BEST FOR THIS GUY.
Quote by pogo the clown
if you can handle it besides morbid angel try

hate eternal
hour of penance
beneath the massacare
through the eyes of the dead
Emeth really isn't thet low but still good,
abysmal torment is great

Quote by Selkies921
Opeth definitely got me into some of the more heavier bands vocal wise....still can't get into the brutal stuff like Dying Fetus, CC, Behemoth, Nile, etc.

I agree with Death being a good starting point, also go and check out Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, The Red Chord (I know they're core but doesn't really matter), The Black Dahlia Murder(half high pitched shrieks, half death growls), Abigail Williams (same as BDM), and maybe some Morbid Angel. All these bands vocalists have somewhat low growls (except for Arch Enemy, Angela has more of a deep evil shriek) but they aren't ultra low like the Cannibal Corpse like bands which I don't like at all personally.

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for, some of it I will still need to listen to a bit to really get into the vocals, but its still bareable.
Also I'll make sure I fill out my Opeth collection.
Also...listen to Kreator...they still have the thrashy guitar riffs and everything going on and the vocals aren't totally distorted.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by IronMaiden5
Nah, I would definately say that Frank Mullen has more brutal vocals than both Chris Barnes and Corpsegrinder. Their all good though. The most brutal you can get is either Devourment or Guttarl Secrete.

Thats because he cups the microphone.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Quote by AzureNight
Check out some Immolation, the growls are clear and you can hear the words.

+1. Immos easy to understand and the music is "catchy".
Quote by unfathomable_bo
He used to

He does on Abomination Reborn.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Quote by Baboom
Thats because he cups the microphone.

Seriously? I didn't know that.
Page 1 of 2