My laptop has totally dies it says the hard disk has failed. it has had so many problems over the years i think ill get a new one. I would prefer something i can record music and run vsts on but i need a 7200rpm hard drive. Can you even get a macbook with a 7200?
Quote by Avedas
No, get a real computer.

i have a quadcore 4gb RAM desktop if thats what you mean
Yes, why is Mac lol?

Johnny's in the basement, mixin' up the medicine.
I'm on the pavement, thinkin' 'bout the government.
honestly, mac is overhyped.

people are flocking over to be counter culture.

have you seen the South Park with all the hybrids? its like that
Quote by keithward
honestly, mac is overhyped.

people are flocking over to be counter culture.

have you seen the South Park with all the hybrids? its like that

Hahahaha "counter culture". I love buzz words that dumb people use to sound intelligent. It has nothing to do with "counter-culture", at least it shouldn't; Macs are just superior in simple terms of OS.
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
Hahahaha "counter culture". I love buzz words that dumb people use to sound intelligent. It has nothing to do with "counter-culture", at least it shouldn't; Macs are just superior in simple terms of OS.

+1 to that. Also the simple bit. Also the "you can't fuckin' upgrade it".
Quote by tuwyci
My laptop has totally dies it says the hard disk has failed. it has had so many problems over the years i think ill get a new one. I would prefer something i can record music and run vsts on but i need a 7200rpm hard drive. Can you even get a macbook with a 7200?

Yes you can.

Just go to the Apple website and check out all the options.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
hey i just want to know about the harddrive really i need a 7200rpm. please dont turn this into a flamewar
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Yes you can.

Just go to the Apple website and check out all the options.

it doesnt even say that for macbook pro
I have a Macbook. It's awesome... never gives me any problems. Everything's very easy to use. The only downside to Windows is the fact you can't open .exe files. I have spent a good year with my Mac and before that about 7 years with a PC.
macbooks only go to 5400rpm... macbook pros go to 7200rpm... why you have to go to 7200rpm if i may ask?
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
Im curious too, why do you need a 7200RPM disc? I mean, what are you accessing that you need it that quick?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
why would anyone pay that much money for a glorified graphing calculator?

you do realize for a different system it costs the same for the same specs and stuff... macs just dont sell low end stuff so they seem to cost more...
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Quote by imnopunkrocker9
you do realize for a different system it costs the same for the same specs and stuff... macs just dont sell low end stuff so they seem to cost more...

umm I paid $1,400 for a Windows laptop with almost identical specs (mine actually has 4 GB of Ram). So please, don't give me that crap.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by imnopunkrocker9
macbooks only go to 5400rpm... macbook pros go to 7200rpm... why you have to go to 7200rpm if i may ask?

Macbook can use any hard drive the Pro can. DIY. Save you a lot of money, especially on memory prices.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
why would anyone pay that much money for a glorified graphing calculator?

Mac Book Pro: $2299
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
200GB HD at 7200RPM
4GB of Ram
Mac OS X Leopard

Dell XPS M1730: $2399 (components that are the same as the Mac aren't listed.)
2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
250GB HD at 7200RPM
Windows Vista OS

for recording music, the Mac wins hands down just because of its OS not sucking RAM like a wh0re.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Mac Book Pro: $2299
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
200GB HD at 7200RPM
4GB of Ram
Mac OS X Leopard

Dell XPS M1730: $2399 (components that are the same as the Mac aren't listed.)
2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
250GB HD at 7200RPM
Windows Vista OS

for recording music, the Mac wins hands down just because of its OS not sucking RAM like a *****.

that's why I just buy a case with a motherboard and get all of the other components seperately, which is really hard to do with a mac, also if I remember correctly XP64 uses less ram than OS X Leopard (I won't argue about Vista because I think it sucks) Also windows has a lot more software options for sound stuff.

Last.fm
ya exactly almost identical and a worse OS that is susceptible to viruses... i guess its a matter of preference... for family tools/music/easy use use - mac; games/writing own software - PC... thats only my opinion
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Someone needs to write and distribute widely a devastating virus for macs, just to shut all of the mac users up about how secure they are, they really aren't that secure, it's just that no one cares enough to write viruses for them.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that's why I just buy a case with a motherboard and get all of the other components seperately, which is really hard to do with a mac, also if I remember correctly XP64 uses less ram than OS X Leopard (I won't argue about Vista because I think it sucks) Also windows has a lot more software options for sound stuff.

Most people don't know how to put together a computer from separate components, otherwise everyone would be getting them like that. If they want a new computer that was built by a computer distributor and has warranty, Mac is one of the best. Firstly, its rare for you to get XP as an option on any PC; and secondly, they have high reputation for having good build quality, unlike a lot big PC manufacturers.

They are more expensive in some areas, but if you can upgrade it from a local store (like RAM and maybe an external HD) it will be much cheaper. I'm not a Mac fan-boy, and if he was wanting a gaming laptop, I wouldn't point him at Mac; but for recording and photoshop, and video editing, and other applications like that, Mac is what I would use.
Quote by imnopunkrocker9
ya exactly almost identical and a worse OS that is susceptible to viruses... i guess its a matter of preference... for family tools/music/easy use use - mac; games/writing own software - PC... thats only my opinion

Macs DO get viruses! i don't know why people don't, they still go on the internet =/ it's just "less" are written for them.
This is true since more and more people seem to be using them these days i'm not surprised... and maybe they do get viruses but i've never heard of any of them... TS personally i think 5400rpm is fast enough for a laptop but 7200rpm would be good if you run alot of stuff at once
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Last edited by imnopunkrocker9 at May 14, 2008,
I've been using Windows PC's for about 12 years, the last being a custom built dual core (top of the line at the time) before getting a Macbook around 14 months ago, and have not looked back. I find the OS simply better, and runs MUCH smoother with less RAM. Unless you want a gaming machine or something to run technical apps like a CAD then I recommend you give the macbook a go- it will run everything else better.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

Quote by the dave
yeah man I put my hand up their skirt and pick em up like a six pack

Quote by Death_switch
mr bill0ws is right
the more popular macs get, the more viruses will be written for them. besides, linux is better than mac in that aspect. get a PC, and dual boot linux for secure things. if you get a few viruses on windows, its not the end of the world, because you can use linux when you want security. then you have one OS for safety, and one for games/connectivity. besides, macs are overpriced anyway.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Play with the OS in an Apple store. If you like it (it is very easy to use, almost no learning curve, but it isn't as friendly to keyboard shortcuts and fast clicking) then get it. There's lots of good music composition software that'll work with Macs only. Still, you'll find better values with a PC, at least with bigger screens.

One more thing, if you have a screwdriver, don't buy extra RAM. All stores, but Macs in particular, are notorious for overpricing their stuff. Then again, if you decide to get a desktop, you may have to, considering how some of their stuff is notoriously difficult to upgrade.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
the thing with music stuff, even if it's a mac only program, theres almost always a windows program that does the exact the same thing, and sometimes does it better (ie ACID pro vs. Garageband)

The only things that Macs really have an edge in in terms of software are CGI and advanced movie editing.

Last.fm