So I was in a car accident over the first weekend of May. Im hearing from one side settle and get a good 5k out of it while another side is saying push for a lawsuit which I could get a few more thousand on top of the 5k.

I would like to wait out of course and get as much out of it but I dont want to go through all that trouble and still only get what I would of gotten if I just setteled.

So of course im asking the serious side of the pit. What would you say my best intrest is?

If your wondering what happened heres a quick story.

STORY!:
May 4th I was in a car accident, sadly in a 72 nova. I was ridding in the passenger when it happened went through a intersection and the car that was making a turn onto the street has to yield to on coming traffic well he did int yield and hit us while both of us were doing about 30-40 mph.
I bounced my head of the dash (due to only lap belts).
Have alot of back pains from it.
Also currently in Physical therapy.

Is there a way I could get a good chunk of change?
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
Quote by RocknRollRay
Don't get greedy, accidents happen.

+1

be reasonable. $5000 is a good amount of money.
Personally I find Americas money grabbing lawsuit culture disgusting.

You disgust me because your clearly fine and all you care about is trying to take as much money from the other side as possible.

Your English is also disgustingly poor for someone from a developed, English speaking country.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
thats whats wrong with society
everyones so ****ing litigious
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by robertreilly666

You disgust me because your clearly fine and all you care about is trying to take as much money from the other side as possible.

yes, the fact that he said he has back pains and is in physical therapy made me assume he was fine as well.

asshat.
Quote by robertreilly666

Your English is also disgustingly poor for someone from a developed, English speaking country.

Couldn't say it much better, **** happens man, at least you can eat and have a roof over your head.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Well how much is the physical therapy?

Or would the entire $5000 go into your pocket?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.

QUOTE]

if he was fine he would not have the back pain he said he had, nor would he have to go the therapy.
don't be a greedy bastard. No lawsuit.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
yeah dude, dont be greedy. thats ****ed up. be happy your still alive. honestly, i was in an accident once too and i was the cause of it. i shat my pants for like a year and i still am cause im afraid theyre gonna sue me still.
im stupid. blahbalhblahblah
wow, never thought I would get this kind of treatment. Yea i am in a lot of pain in the back. No need to bitch about my grammar it has nothing to do with it. I never said I was money hungry person so don't judge off a post on a guitar forum. At least one or two people came in with a neutral comment, and I thank you guys for that. For the positive ones on taking the 5g side thank you and not calling me names for no reason on the suggestion on going towards another side.

EDIT:
I never voiced my personal choice where I am at in this and thats just get what the settlement is because its at that price for a reason. I thought I would bring it up here to have more of what would you do type thing cause I have many of my friends and family say milk it. While others just want it to get it threw with.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
Last edited by Down Shifter at May 14, 2008,
too many people nowadays suing for way too much money. some guy just got locked in a toilet on an airplane for a 2 hour flight and is suing the airport 250,000 for mental trauma haha. basically the moral to that was dont get greedy, what these guys have been saying
empty the bullets from the chamber
i work for an insurance company and dude, as much as it unethical, if your gettin money from the company, rob em blind, but if the person your gettin it from is payin out of pocket, settle. thats my two cents
Quote by robertreilly666

Personally I'm disgusted by a country whose inhabitants spend years and years killing each other because one side worships the same exact god as the other in a slightly different way.

See, I can make judgments based on widely ill informed generalizations too.

To TS,
Depending on how much your physical therapy costs, you might be able to get more, but you'll probably half to pay out the ass in lawyer fees. Take the settlement.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by QOTSA40
i work for an insurance company and dude, as much as it unethical, if your gettin money from the company, rob em blind, but if the person your gettin it from is payin out of pocket, settle. thats my two cents

This is all out of his car insurance what ever money the driver and I will get.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by daytripper75
yes, the fact that he said he has back pains and is in physical therapy made me assume he was fine as well.

asshat.

As far as I'm concerned, if he's not in hospital (which he obviously isn't), he's fine enough to not need some big litigation payout. I get back pains from work all the time ffs, it's just part of being alive and enduring the world, don't be a baby about it and feed the ugly monster that is cultural litigation addiction. Take the $5000 and be thankful you get anything at all.

I'm not saying that you don't deserve to get $5000; you do. What I'm saying is that there are tons of people that have worse things done to them and still get nothing. When someone gets a payout that's grossly disproportional to their suffering, it really pains others that are worse done by to see it.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
As far as I'm concerned, if he's not in hospital (which he obviously isn't), he's fine enough to not need some big litigation payout. I get back pains from work all the time ffs, it's just part of being alive and enduring the world, don't be a baby about it and feed the ugly monster that is cultural litigation addiction. Take the $5000 and be thankful you get anything at all.

I'm not saying that you don't deserve to get $5000; you do. What I'm saying is that there are tons of people that have worse things done to them and still get nothing. When someone gets a payout that's grossly disproportional to their suffering, it really pains others that are worse done by to see it.

if you read my first post, you would see that i told him to take the $5000.

my comment was simply stating that the other user shouldnt have told him he was perfectly fine and just wanted money when he knew little about the situation.
Quote by daytripper75
if you read my first post, you would see that i told him to take the $5000.

my comment was simply stating that the other user shouldnt have told him he was perfectly fine and just wanted money when he knew little about the situation.

I never said that you didn't tell him to take the money. I also never mentioned anything whatsoever regarding him "just wanting money".

I was only referring to the part of your statement where you were mentioning back pains and physical therapy as if they were substantial repercussions from the accident. As far as car accident repercussions go, back pains (which were the only actual injuries stated) aren't that serious, considering what usually happens to people involved in serious crashes.

If someone can be involved in a serious car crash and walk away from it without needing to be at least temporarily hospitalised, I wouldn't consider the physical repercussions to be that serious. Car accidents like the one described frequently take lives, cause permanent paralysis, and leave other permanent injuries that prove difficult to cope with.

I personally find it irritating to read things like this because a family friend of ours was killed some years ago in a car accident, where someone failed to give way at a roundabout and drove straight into them. The family received NOTHING in the way of a payout from anyone. The driver was imprisoned but still, no payout. Compared to that, $5000 for a crash that doesn't even hospitalise you is a bloody godsend.

What I'm saying is, if you are dealt an injustice, seize any reparations you can get, but don't do anything to compromise them, INCLUDING getting greedy. Just simply take what you can get and walk away, don't draw it out or else there's a good chance you'll be made very, very sorry.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
I never said that you didn't tell him to take the money. I also never mentioned anything whatsoever regarding him "just wanting money".

I was only referring to the part of your statement where you were mentioning back pains and physical therapy as if they were substantial repercussions from the accident. As far as car accident repercussions go, back pains (which were the only actual injuries stated) aren't that serious, considering what usually happens to people involved in serious crashes.

If someone can be involved in a serious car crash and walk away from it without needing to be at least temporarily hospitalised, I wouldn't consider the physical repercussions to be that serious. Car accidents like the one described frequently take lives, cause permanent paralysis, and leave other permanent injuries that prove difficult to cope with.

I personally find it irritating to read things like this because a family friend of ours was killed some years ago in a car accident, where someone failed to give way at a roundabout and drove straight into them. The family received NOTHING in the way of a payout from anyone. The driver was imprisoned but still, no payout. Compared to that, $5000 for a crash that doesn't even hospitalise you is a bloody godsend.

What I'm saying is, if you are dealt an injustice, seize any reparations you can get, but don't do anything to compromise them, INCLUDING getting greedy. Just simply take what you can get and walk away, don't draw it out or else there's a good chance you'll be made very, very sorry.

Thats what im asking for as response with the last paragraph just set me in a better way of thinking instead of people yelling me for who god knows why when all I did is asking for some advise.

I am sorry for you loss those years back.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
A good idea might be to find out how much that physical therapy is going to cost you (unless you have health insurance that'll cover it) and make sure the $5000 will cover it... If it is/you're covered, then take that 5000... If not, you might want to try to get more... Just remember that no lawyer works for free...
To the TS, take the settlement. There's the chance that you'll lose the court case and have to pay for the lawyer. If you really feel the need to take someone to court to get a few more grand, that's up to you, but accidents happen.

Quote by civildp1
Personally I'm disgusted by a country whose inhabitants spend years and years killing each other because one side worships the same exact god as the other in a slightly different way.

The US had their civil war because half the country didn't want to let go off oppressing an entire race. Every war the US has fought in since the start of the 20th century has only been to serve the government's own interests and concerns. I don't want to turn this into a huge 'your country is a bigger asshole' fight, but defending a statement against the US in the way you did it is asking for it.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood

The US had their civil war because half the country didn't want to let go off oppressing an entire race. Every war the US has fought in since the start of the 20th century has only been to serve the government's own interests and concerns. I don't want to turn this into a huge 'your country is a bigger asshole' fight, but defending a statement against the US in the way you did it is asking for it.

I was simply illustrating that judging an entire country by the actions of some is usually pretty ignorant. Hence, "See, I can make judgments based on widely ill-informed generalizations too." Everyone's got some ugly spots on them.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1
I was simply illustrating that judging an entire country by the actions of some is usually pretty ignorant. Hence, "See, I can make judgments based on widely ill-informed generalizations too." Everyone's got some ugly spots on them.

Of course, I just had to do it seeing as you left yourself open for it
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by robertreilly666

I'm no fan of the litigious nature of American society today. But the fact that you've run across something that disgusts you pleases me to no end. So thank you, TS. No matter how this turns out, something worthwhile has already happened.

In regards to the settlement, maybe take some time and wait to see if you really have lingering injuries? If you do, you should ask for more compensation. If not, settle for what's reasonable and appropriate. Just my $.02
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by robertreilly666

Failure.

It happens.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
For next time you guys will have learned not to blindly trust yield signs?

Anyway, it would be perfectly fine to demand the therapy fees + a little extra for pain and such.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']For next time you guys will have learned not to blindly trust yield signs?

+1

i always slow down around yield signs if i see other cars coming. ive almost been hit once or twice because of people who dont yield.