I'm having problems deciding between the two. Can you guys give me the pros and cons of each? Or just recommend me which one of those is best for a beginner. Why?
Pros for the Yammy:
It's a great guitar

Pros for the Taka:
It's a great guitar
It has a cutaway (which is good if you want a cutaway)

Cons:
Neither of them have any real cons. Both are fantastic guitars and really good value for money.

If you want to be able to reach high frets easier then go for the Takamine as it has a cutaway. If that's not important then they are both on pretty equal footing. Go and play them both (or if your a raw beginner and can't play, get someone you know to play them both for you, while you listen) and see which one you like best in terms of sound and playability.

If it was me I would get the Yamaha, but solely because in Australia (Where I live) the Takamines are a fair bit more expensive compared to the Yamaha's.
Love my Yamaha, I also paid the little extra for the tobacco sunburst which looks bautiful. The question should be do you need the cutaway?
Quote by daholl
The question should be do you need the cutaway?

Quote by johnos

If you want to be able to reach high frets easier then go for the Takamine as it has a cutaway. If that's not important then they are both on pretty equal footing.

I think that an important distinction needs to be made between "not needed" and "negative," and I would say that johnos has it right. Don't cross the Tak off your list just because it has a cutaway you don't need. Go play them both, and see which one sounds and feels better to you. Ignore the cutaway, as it has negligible effect (read: you won't be able to tell the difference) on sound. You might find that the Tak sounds/feels better to you, and the cutaway is just a nice bonus feature. Or you might find that you like the Yammie better.

I do agree that the sunburst Yammie is absolutely stunning.
I think I'm gonna go with Takamine, seeing that it has a cutaway and most of you guys say there isn't much difference in the sound.

I can't really try them out, since there's no store here.
Quote by fsb_ben
As a beginner, you won't need to access the higher frets. BTW Doesn't the Taka have crap electronics at this price?

This model is pure acoustic. Takamine's G-series dreadnoughts come in acoustic models as well as acoustic-electric. The acoustic-electric G-series Taks are prefaced by "EG" rather than just "G." Besides, who says a beginner can't use the higher frets?
Quote by fsb_ben
As a beginner, you won't need to access the higher frets. BTW Doesn't the Taka have crap electronics at this price?

Yep, No electronics and the Taka's go pretty well in terms of electronics in the low end. This same model with the electronics (EG340SC) seems to be pretty decent based on all reports. I've never plugged one in personally but Jim speaks highly of them and I'm pretty sure he's got a decent idea about all this.

And he won't need to access the higher frets. I know I don't need to access the higher frets but all the same I love having a cutaway, it just makes life easier and gives me a little bit more versatility. Probably doesn't help that I tend to learn electric guitar stuff on my acoustic first it's closer and doesn't involve going to the amp or bringing the amp to me.

Killabean:
I think thats a good choice especially seeing as you can't try them out. You won't go wrong with either but if your interested in the cutaway then best going for the Taka.
Since this will be my first guitar, what else would I need to buy for it?

I know I'm gonna get a case, but which one do you guys recommend? And strings?

What else would I need to buy?
tuner, capo, string winder, chord chart,and yes multiple kinds of strings till you find the one you want also you may need a strap and a polishing cloth is a nice plus.
oh year pics thats right and a guitar stand as well if you shop around you can find most of the accesories as a value pack and they will be cheaper than buying them seperate.
Tuner is vital and well and truly worth it in the long run. A Korg CA-30 is cheap as chips anyway. String winder is useful but not necessary, i have one and its handy and its another cheap thing. However, i didn't buy one until I had been playing for a while. Some with Capo, there handy but it depends on how often your going to use it. If you have the cash on hand you may as well grab one now. if not just grab it later when you need it.
A strap is only useful if your going to be playing standing up and polishing clothes can be bought cheaply at places other than your music store. Hell, my supermarket sells clothes that work perfectly fine for cleaning my guitar in 20packs for the price of a Fender branded on from my music shop and lint free cloths aren't only for guitars and can be bought elsewhere cheaper too.

Picks are really cheap so buy a bunch and buy different sizes. When I started off I had a guitar, a Tuner and a couple of picks and thats it. Its all you really need.
f that sh#$ about not needing the cutout as a beginner....how the hell are you gonna play mario without the cutout...u need that 20th fret.....for me its absolutely tak but im biased...
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Yeah I'm totally gonna get the Takamine. I won't need a tuner, because my brother has a guitar tuner he uses for his ukelele. For strings, I'm thinking of Elixirs, but which ones?
Quote by killabean
Yeah I'm totally gonna get the Takamine. I won't need a tuner, because my brother has a guitar tuner he uses for his ukelele. For strings, I'm thinking of Elixirs, but which ones?

the tuner built in is awesome...on the fly tuning rules
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by killabean
I don't think the G340SC has a built in Tuner, it's an acoustic.

Correct.

And as for strings. Personally I don't think Elixirs are worth the money. I can get 4 packets of D'Addario's for the same price as one pack of Elixirs and the Elixirs may last double as long as one set of D'Addario's, but if you do the math, with the D'Addario's I'm still getting double the amount of playing time for the same price.

If you are going for the Elixirs try the Nanowebs first. They feel like normal strings. The polywebs have a much different coating on them which tends to flake off after a while. They won't last as long and I think they sound pretty dead and the coating they put on it makes them feel really plasticy.