Was flipping through vids and found this interesting...

Pod floor running through a tiny little practice amp solid state at that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EffozsOPwLU

VS.

Spider Valve 212

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5m9dOg5PIo

Is Bogners name really worth it? Hmmmm.....
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 14, 2008,
I find comparing the sounds of amps via youtube is pointless. After all the compression, even the best of amps can come out sounding terrible. I'm not vouching for the spiders, but youtube is a poor tool for judging the way an amp sounds. Sometimes they do a good job of scratching the surface, when you're shopping and trying to get a vague idea of what an amp is like, but that's it.

EDIT: If you're looking for somewhere that gives a true representation of what an amp sounds like, sites like netmusicians.org are good. Better yet you can *gasp* go and try the amp out in person instead of pointlessly flaming it on the internet...
Last edited by T!AN at May 14, 2008,
Well, my sound doesn't work at the moment (drivers are installing now)
But, how high was the volume on the spider valve? One problem that I saw, is that you have to turn it up loud to get some tubeyness into the mix.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by T!AN
I find comparing the sounds of amps via youtube is pointless. After all the compression, even the best of amps can come out sounding terrible. I'm not vouching for the spiders, but youtube is a poor tool for judging the way an amp sounds. Sometimes they do a good job of scratching the surface, when you're shopping and trying to get a vague idea of what an amp is like, but that's it.

Not like im buying one it just tripped me out.. Come on now its a like 8inch speaker in a practice amp with a pod versus a 212 supposed beast... Even if the sound quality sucks... Its still interesting..
Quote by darkarbiter7
Well, my sound doesn't work at the moment (drivers are installing now)
But, how high was the volume on the spider valve? One problem that I saw, is that you have to turn it up loud to get some tubeyness into the mix.

Dont know just some vids i just found.

And yea only way to get those tubes heated up is to crank the hell out of it. But you would think they would of wanted a lower wattage power amp so they hit that saturation point sooner. Ehh who knows what they were thinking.. Was a good idea until i test drove one...
Quote by T!AN

EDIT: If you're looking for somewhere that gives a true representation of what an amp sounds like, sites like netmusicians.org are good. Better yet you can *gasp* go and try the amp out in person instead of pointlessly flaming it on the internet...

Listened to the clips and *Gasp* Even played one last week... And I thought it was the biggest POS and waste of money i have ever played.

They should of got Bogner to make them a Vetta power amp why waste the time, talent and money on a spider... I will never understand it...
Quote by T!AN

Quite. Until it's required that everyone in the world posts demo vids using a SM57 on-axis at 8 inches with an Art Tube MP preamp, then I won't really give a dang about them.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Listened to the clips and *Gasp* Even played one last week... And I thought it was the biggest POS and waste of money i have ever played.

They should of got Bogner to make them a Vetta power amp why waste the time, talent and money on a spider... I will never understand it...

There's something called money, my friend.

With the Vetta models & the Bognor power amp, it's not going to be the most affordable of amps, and it'll still get bashed by ignorant people like you for being 'shit'
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
1) I have no idea that the guy was saying in the first video....it also sounded like it was recorded with a cheap camera mic.

2) the second link seemed to be recorded a little better but still with youtube compressing the file format so much it can alter the sound a lot which I found a while back...

3) IMO a spider amp is just a spider amp, no matter how many tubes they put in them.

These amps are fun at home if you like the digital sound but I would never record or do any work with them out of the house. I prefer the sound of the cube amps.
Quote by moody07747
1) I have no idea that the guy was saying in the first video....it also sounded like it was recorded with a cheap camera mic.

you do realise it wasnt english right? D=
I think what Line 6 should have done/should do, is make a valve vetta.
The addition of tubes to a spider modeling system isn't necessarily going to make it a good amp. If the Vetta already is a great amp, imagine it with some tubes tossed in.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I think what Line 6 should have done/should do, is make a valve vetta.
The addition of tubes to a spider modeling system isn't necessarily going to make it a good amp. If the Vetta already is a great amp, imagine it with some tubes tossed in.

Like someone said - the Vetta is already pretty expensive, and it probably wouldn't sell too much if they had an even more expensive version. I'd suggest a tube Flextone, since that could still be somewhat reasonably priced (although I don't know if it could beat the vetta).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Three things.

1) The foreign guy was using a POD, not just the practice amp. Or did you not notice the giant floorboard next to the amp?

2) The spider valve sounded fuller and had less nasty high end.

3) The spider valve sounded better than anything I've heard come from your Valveking.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
a) The Spider sounded a lot nicer than the other amp with the POD
b) They both sounded horrible because they were obviously recorded (as many people have said) with crap mics.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt