Hi

I wanted to start making some YouTube videos to show some of my friends that I know in a different state of some covers and stuff, but I dont have a video camera. So I would like to know how I should go about doing that.

I don't have a mic anymore because I had to sell it, But I do have guitar port so I can record direct-in. I also have a web cam built into my laptop for the video part, and I figured out how to sync them both correctly.The only real problem I am having is putting the original song in the background during the editing process.

Any tips would be appreciated.

~thanks.
I am using a mixer to add the backing track to the guitar track and record both at the same time. I am sure there are other more complex ways of doing it through video editing maybe but that's what I am using.
What program(s) are you using to record audio and video?
Its easy once you get it down. All you have to do is use a program to record the video, and another to record the audio. If you want some audio backing track put that in with your audio editing program and have it play as you record a new track.

Here's what I do for my video setup - examples are the UG recoding videos linked in my sig.)

Audio feeds into interface and records with Cakewalk Sonar on my PC
At the same time I have a DV camcorder recording as I play a song.

When done with each shot ill stop the audio from recording and do the same for the video.
I can then fix up the audio to make it sound great and then export it as a .wmv which I then import into my video editing program, (Adobe Premiere Pro). I will also use that editing program to capture and fix up the video if needed.

Syncing the two is the only tricky part, it just requires that you get everything dead on and make it look great. I usually clap my hands once at the start of each shot which I can use to sync the audio and video in frame-by-frame edit mode.
"I usually clap my hands once at the start of each shot which I can use to sync the audio and video in frame-by-frame edit mode."

Interesting Idea. I might have to try that.
Thanks
Taylor 410-CE
Fender Strat Mex Standard
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe