Ok, lately I've been thinking again. Is a higher wattage amp (thinking the Blues Junior, or something along those lines, for example) going to be as nice at lower volumes as a low wattage (Valve junior) amp? I was rthinking of getting a slightly bigge amp just in case I jam with friends (but will probably never gig), but I will still be using it mainly for a bedroom amp. Thanks.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Since a Blues Junior, at 15 watts, isn't really a high wattage amp, you'll be fine. Still, my 5150 sounds great at bedroom practice levels, despite being a disgusting 120 watts.
I use a 100w Marshall through a 350w bass amp, and it's good at low volumes, so yeah, high wattage amps are still good at low volume.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by syk3d
Ok, lately I've been thinking again. Is a higher wattage amp (thinking the Blues Junior, or something along those lines, for example) going to be as nice at lower volumes as a low wattage (Valve junior) amp? I was rthinking of getting a slightly bigge amp just in case I jam with friends (but will probably never gig), but I will still be using it mainly for a bedroom amp. Thanks.

A VJ will still be loud enough to jam with friends (unless with a drummer and you want clean headroom or if he's loud). keep in mind 15 watts of tube can gig
Thanks... I was just going to leave some room, in case a few mates (drummer included) get together and jam (off to Uni next year ). 15 Watts can gig eh? I didn't really know that. I've heard people say "oh no, you won't really be able to think about gigging with a Blues Junior..."

In that case, you guys reckon it would be a good idea to go a higher wattage amp? On another upside, it would give me more features (take a classic 30 for instance, which has a hell of a lot more than a VJ...although the C30 might be overkill). I'm quite interested in good tone though.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d
Thanks... I was just going to leave some room, in case a few mates (drummer included) get together and jam (off to Uni next year ). 15 Watts can gig eh? I didn't really know that. I've heard people say "oh no, you won't really be able to think about gigging with a Blues Junior..."

In that case, you guys reckon it would be a good idea to go a higher wattage amp? On another upside, it would give me more features (take a classic 30 for instance, which has a hell of a lot more than a VJ...although the C30 might be overkill). I'm quite interested in good tone though.

yeah 15 watts can gig ( can 45 watts SS gig ? yes. well, a 15 watt tuber will be about as loud), but you won't have much if any at all, clean headroom (but most of the time there's a pa anyway then).
if you're going to gig with a drummer and some more people at the same time, a VJ might struggle. the BJ seems to be a nice compromise for your situation.
Quote by Jesstaa
I use a 100w Marshall through a 350w bass amp, and it's good at low volumes, so yeah, high wattage amps are still good at low volume.

True, but you're not using a tube amp, SS amps sound good at low volumes and sound worse as you turn them up.

TS, I think you should go for the Blues Junior, gives you that added wattage just incase you ever need it and still sounds good at lower volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sweet, thanks for the help there. I think the Blues Junior seems to be a good choice (I don't really need more volume, it'll be at home 95% of the time).

Just on a side note, because I don't really need to make a new thread, you reckon there are any other amps in this sort of range that are worth a look? Really, the Blues Junior seems to be a nice fit (i'm a blues man, but a good man), but any other Fenders maybe? I here some badmouthing of the Hotrods, and haven't heard a thing about the Blues Deluxes. I understand that they are going to be even louder at 40 watts, but they also have multiple channels. Any thoughts?

edit: forget budget, but I wouldn't mind keeping it at a reasonable physical size.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Last edited by syk3d at May 15, 2008,
^well those two amps are practically one and the same i think there just cosmetic diffrences. I would say also take a look at the Super champ XD those amps are pretty killer for a Hybrid, there not hybrids like the vox there more like music mans because they run on power tubes. if you want head room get an Old fender super redknob they have loads of headroom because they just dont frieken break at any volume, plus or minus you decide plus the onboard overdrive is just absurdly, absurdly gainy.
Last edited by the-kidR44 at May 15, 2008,
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Since a Blues Junior, at 15 watts, isn't really a high wattage amp, you'll be fine. Still, my 5150 sounds great at bedroom practice levels, despite being a disgusting 120 watts.

That's because it gets most of its distortion from the preamp.