I have a guitar amp, and its not the best. I was just wondering whats the best way of improving it without buying a new amp, guitar pedals etc? Any advice thanks. Not got a big budget.

Just looking for some sound variations really.
What sort of amp do you have?
Amplifiers come with what's called a preamp, the little section at the top with all the knobs and switches which alter tone. Trying fiddling with them to get a sound you like. Could you please let me know which amp you have and the controls/knobs? It'll help me and others help you out Cheers.

Btw I'll be coming back to this thread a few times so if you have any further questions let us know.
Quote by juckfush
What sort of amp do you have?
Amplifiers come with what's called a preamp, the little section at the top with all the knobs and switches which alter tone. Trying fiddling with them to get a sound you like. Could you please let me know which amp you have and the controls/knobs? It'll help me and others help you out Cheers.

Btw I'll be coming back to this thread a few times so if you have any further questions let us know.

Thanks for the reply, its a peavey. Heres a link to it

http://www.nceita.org/wp-content/picture/peavey-rage-158-guitar.jpg

It seems that i always have to have distortion on to get a decent sound, i've tried fiddling about with it quite a bit. It just seems a little lifeless.
Thanks for the link Looking at it, it has more features than my first amp - just had bass and treble - ditortion but no gain control at all. You've got a decent practice amp there

The next thing we have to address is the sound you want. What sort of music are you into? And could you give me some examples of bands you like? That'll help me work out some settings for you

It's expected a small amp like that will sound a bit dull and not too dazzling but it is quite possible to get a decent sound. Using your bridge pickup will help produce a brighter, more lively sound.
Peavey solid states aren't very good. And pedals will just make it sound different, not better. Sorry man, if you want better tone you're gonna have to get a new amp. The Roland Cube 60 and Vox AD30VT-XL are good amps, but if you REALLY want the best tone you can get for cheap and without being too terribly loud, I would go with the Blackheart BH5-112 tube combo and throw in a decent distortion pedal such as the EHX Metal Muff.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by juckfush
Thanks for the link Looking at it, it has more features than my first amp - just had bass and treble - ditortion but no gain control at all. You've got a decent practice amp there

The next thing we have to address is the sound you want. What sort of music are you into? And could you give me some examples of bands you like? That'll help me work out some settings for you

It's expected a small amp like that will sound a bit dull and not too dazzling but it is quite possible to get a decent sound. Using your bridge pickup will help produce a brighter, more lively sound.

I don't need the amp for gigging or anything like that just now so it doesn't have to be amazing. Any ideas are welcome.

The kind of music i'm into and play is indie rock n roll, stuff like Oasis, Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Razorlight, with a little bit of Radiohead and stuff like that. I have no "definied" sound as of yet, but thats the type of stuff i'm aiming towards.
Quote by mafropetee
Peavey solid states aren't very good. And pedals will just make it sound different, not better. Sorry man, if you want better tone you're gonna have to get a new amp. The Roland Cube 60 and Vox AD30VT-XL are good amps, but if you REALLY want the best tone you can get for cheap and without being too terribly loud, I would go with the Blackheart BH5-112 tube combo and throw in a decent distortion pedal such as the EHX Metal Muff.

Nice, don't want to sound lazy but could you link me to them? I wouldn't know what the best sites are for them and stuff like that.

Also, what sort of price range are they?
Quote by jukeboxmusic
Nice, don't want to sound lazy but could you link me to them? I wouldn't know what the best sites are for them and stuff like that.

Also, what sort of price range are they?

Blackheart BH5-112.

EHX Metal Muff.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.