OK, so I've been playing for a little over 3 years now and haven't had a teacher. I can play most things fine, but I have problems when it comes to doing anything somewhat fast. I've noticed it's mostly when there's a solo that switches strings a lot and is pretty quick. I get extremely sloppy and in some cases I just can't keep up. While I was pondering why I can't play as fast, I noticed that when I play, the fingers I'm not immediately using (current or next note) tend to be pretty far off the strings. I have the tendancy to curl my pinky when it's not being used and my other fingers come a good 3/4-1" off the strings. That just seems extremely unnecessary and if I could get it down to keeping all my fingers barely off the strings when they're not being used I think I could play much faster and up to the correct speed.

So, I tried just slowing it all the way down and consciously keeping them close to the strings but it's hard even then. I guess 3+ years of bad habits and muscle memory have come back to haunt me. Is there a way to help break this habit or am I just going to have to suck it up and completely retrain my fingers?

Also, I was wondering about muscle memory in general when learning a new song. Generally how I learn a new song (or solo) I break it down into parts and play each part separately until I get it fairly smooth, then I move to the next section. Once I can do them all, I put it together and play it a couple times through. I slow it down and use a little home made click track in Guitar Pro. My problem is that sometimes right after one of these transitions, my mind just blanks out and I just for the life of me can't remember what's supposed to come next. This happens a lot until I've pretty much drilled the song down to the point where I can't stand to hear the song anymore. Most recently it happened to me with You Really Got Me by Van Halen. Sometimes during one of the first 2 harmonic sections or right after the tapped part of the solo I just freeze.

Is this just because my muscle memory is slacking or what? It seems to happen most when I'm trying to concentrate on it.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
Last edited by hokiecmo at May 14, 2008,
I also do these exact same things, it's fairly frustrating sometimes, although as of late I've mostly fixed the pinky thing, just by concentrating more.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.