Hey UG,

Thinking about getting this amp as i've heard good things about it!

I play at bedroom levels at the moment so would i actually get the benefit of having a valve amp? I play some classic rock (which i know this is good for!) AC/DC, hendrix, zeppelin, etc. but also play loads of metal (megadeth, metallica, pantera). i use my boss me-50 for these tones, so would i mask the tone of the peavey with these digital distortions? is it worth getting?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
It won't go heavier than Lynyrd Skynyrd on its own. You will need a standalone distortion of some sort, personally I would get an EQable one like the metal muff. It will have far superior tone/versatility over the ME-50.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at May 14, 2008,
Yeah sell the ME-50 for sure. The classic 8 is good for the first stuff, but not so great for metal. You could save up for a distortion pedal like the Toneczar Openhaus (my favorite dist. pedal) for metal. And you can check out a nice OD as well like a Fulltone OCD or a Skreddy Screwdriver ( ).
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
ok thanks, i have a kustom 10-watt i play through at the moment, so am i right in saying that if i play a lot of heavy stuff the royal 8 isn't really worth getting? its better off that i spend more on a good metal pedal? especially if i play at low volumes which i do
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
No, you'll definitely hear the difference if you play a distortion pedal through the Royal 8 and if you play it through your Kustom. The tone is much richer in both harmony and dynamics. And I've found that it does nail a pretty cool Oasis tone pretty much on its own
would putting an overdrive pedal in front of it push the valves into maiden/megadeth territory?

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
If you're talking about boosting it, you'd have to boost it to hell to get that far. That's why I'm saying it would be better off to run the amp nearly clean with a distortion pedal. If you're adamant about boosting it, look into the heavier version of the OCD by Fulltone, Fat Drive or something..

EDIT: Actually I thought you wrote Metallica. Maiden and Megadeth could be achieved by overdriving it.
Bedroom only? Get that new 1/2W Blackheart Killer Ant and a 1x12" cab, that'll get you a nice AC/DC-esque crunch just by turning the volume up a bit. You should get an overdrive pedal too for heavier tones.
another option for me is the epiphone valve junior, other than not having any eq what are the differences between this and the royal 8?

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass