i hear it soo often and i still dont have a clue of what it is beside it having some relation to guitars
I LUV GREEN DAY
it's the type of bridge installed at a guitar that enables you to change the pitch of all the strings in one move (with the handle bar).

a floating bridge (e.g. floyd rose) can shift the pitch both up and down, while other types can only lower the pitch
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Last edited by angl2k at May 14, 2008,
Quote by angl2k
it's the type of bridge installed at a guitar that enables you to change the pitch of all the strings in one move (with the handle bar).

a floating bridge (e.g. floyd rose) can shift the pitch both up and down, while other types can only lower the pitch

Here's a picture of a whammy bar as well.

Quote by nightraven
the bridge is called the tremelo. the bar you put into the slot to move it up and down is the whammy bar.

ah well, technically you're right, i just call the whole mechanism the whammy bar sometimes.. it's all in the naming
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
"whammy" bar is a nickname for a tremolo bar.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Play Guitar Hero anytime to fully understand it without actually using a real one. Or, just try out a real one.
Eschquipment:
Epiphone SG400
Peavy Vypr 30 watt
Dean Vendetta XM

and thats about it...
Quote by nightraven
the bridge is called the tremolo. the bar you put into the slot to move it up and down is the whammy bar.

Fix'd.
NO! not whammy bar. VIBRATO. Gawd. Or Tremelo arm. which ever you prefer. but it gives you a vibrato effect, unless you're dive bombing on a Floyd Rose. It's a vibrato effect, not the whammy bar effect.

PS- GOOGLE.COM
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...