Okay, so I don't think I can afford a SM57/58 (Cheap bastard, I know).

Should I just stick with a JTS NX-7? It's about half the price.

And I know I shouldn't stick it right into the sound card. So what should I do?

EDIT:
Wanting to Buy:

1. JTS NX-7 Microphone
2. MXL 990/991 Condenser Mic Set
3. On-Stage Sands MS7510 Mic Pro Pak
4. Behringer XM8500
5. Nady CM-88 Microphone
6. Samson-Q7 Cardioid Dynamic Microphone

Which should I get? Bear in mind that I have a ridiculously low budget. Thanks.
Last edited by Time Seller at May 14, 2008,
well its best to get an audio interface such as the m-audio fast track USB which goes for $100 but if you are on a budget you could try getting an adapter to run the mic into the mic port on your stock sound card and see what you get out of it.

as for budget mics, search this section of the forms, it has been discussed many times already.
If anything I would say stick with the Shure mics but go with the PG series...
Quote by moody07747
well its best to get an audio interface such as the m-audio fast track USB which goes for $100 but if you are on a budget you could try getting an adapter to run the mic into the mic port on your stock sound card and see what you get out of it.

as for budget mics, search this section of the forms, it has been discussed many times already.
If anything I would say stick with the Shure mics but go with the PG series...

The problem would be the pricing, I suppose.

I suppose I'll just try running it directly into the mic port. Does the quality of the sound card itself have any effect on this?
yes, without a doubt.

Stock sound cards in computers are cheap, they were never made to record and so this is why there are products called Audio Interfaces such as the m-audio Fast Track USB. These units bypass your stock sound card for recording and playback, give great recording quality most of the time (that depends on how much you spend on an interface though IMO), give you XLR and 1/4" inputs, and allow you to use the on board preamp to boost the level of a mic.

If you are not too serious about sound quality the Fast track USB and Line6 Toneport GX are low in price and offer some good features. The line6 will require an XLR - TRS adapter to run a mic into it but it works ok.

BTW watch the "Low Budget Recording" video linked in my sig line
Quote by moody07747
yes, without a doubt.

Stock sound cards in computers are cheap, they were never made to record and so this is why there are products called Audio Interfaces such as the m-audio Fast Track USB. These units bypass your stock sound card for recording and playback, give great recording quality most of the time (that depends on how much you spend on an interface though IMO), give you XLR and 1/4" inputs, and allow you to use the on board preamp to boost the level of a mic.

If you are not too serious about sound quality the Fast track USB and Line6 Toneport GX are low in price and offer some good features. The line6 will require an XLR - TRS adapter to run a mic into it but it works ok.

BTW watch the "Low Budget Recording" video linked in my sig line

Do you suppose it's cheaper to get an audio interface or should I just upgrade my sound card? The problem right now is my budget, so I'm really having to skimp. It's quite frustrating, really.

BTW I added a list of possible mics in my first post, could you take a look at them and advice me please? Gracias.
It's better to go with an interface. An interface will bypass your stock sound card so you should never need to update it.
Any high end type music or gaming audio card will still let you down when it comes to recording.

For low budgets I suggest this setup: - it comes to around $80 USD

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=270619&base_pid=333074&base_pid=241406

The mic isnt great but its low budget. I started with that mic pack.

what is your total budget?
If you can the MXL 990/991 with audio buddy at just $100 is a nice mic set and would work well with the toneport GX. I do suggest using a mic stand with these mics though since condensers will pick up a lot more noise from around you. IF you only have the money aside for the mic pack it is a nice set and the stand is awesome for the price...

Condensers like the MXL 990 and 991 need 48V phantom power so be sure to either get an interface with on board phantom power or get a dynamic mic, these dont need any power to run, just a preamp which most interfaces have on board.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 14, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
It's better to go with an interface. An interface will bypass your stock sound card so you should never need to update it.
Any high end type music or gaming audio card will still let you down when it comes to recording.

For low budgets I suggest this setup: - it comes to around $80 USD

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=270619&base_pid=333074&base_pid=241406

The mic isnt great but its low budget. I started with that mic pack.

what is your total budget?
If you can the MXL 990/991 with audio buddy at just $100 is a nice mic set and would work well with the toneport GX. I do suggest using a mic stand with these mics though since condensers will pick up a lot more noise from around you. IF you only have the money aside for the mic pack it is a nice set and the stand is awesome for the price...

Condensers like the MXL 990 and 991 need 48V phantom power so be sure to either get an interface with on board phantom power or get a dynamic mic, these dont need any power to run, just a preamp which most interfaces have on board.

My total budget is about RM600 or roughly $200 for the microphone, audio interface (if possible) and guitar wah pedal. That's the major problem right now. On-Stage Stands Mic Pro Pak looks pretty good for such a cheap price. I'm trying to find that one. Probably that or a Behringer XM8500.

Not sure where to find them here though. Everything's overpriced here. Any particularly low-budget audio interfaces that work well? :p

By the way, I don't have any of that money that I just said my budget was. I need to wait to sell my albums first. That's my projected sales total. Lol.
The lowest price interface worth getting would be the Toneport GX. Any other ones dont have on board preamps so they would need more external gear and software to work which is a waste of money.

Save up and then get some gear...even if you ave to save for a year. It will be worth it in the end, trust me. Buying good gear from the start saves money and makes a big difference. Recording isn't cheap but I don't think you are in a position that has it so you MUST record any time soon. If it's a hobby you can wait a little while until you get some cash saved up.

That's just my thought on it all...
Quote by moody07747
The lowest price interface worth getting would be the Toneport GX. Any other ones dont have on board preamps so they would need more external gear and software to work which is a waste of money.

Save up and then get some gear...even if you ave to save for a year. It will be worth it in the end, trust me. Buying good gear from the start saves money and makes a big difference. Recording isn't cheap but I don't think you are in a position that has it so you MUST record any time soon. If it's a hobby you can wait a little while until you get some cash saved up.

That's just my thought on it all...

Well, I'll be heading off to a new college in a bit, so I'm trying to get the gear before then. Won't be able to record until I've settled down there and stuff.

I'll get the Toneport GX, I guess. Not sure where to find it, though. Thanks, Dave.
BTW what can the Toneport do? I mean, what other uses does it have other than bypassing the sound card of the computer and giving a better tone to the guitar and mic? :s

Like, does it include guitar/vocal effects? And if so, can it be used as a pedal?
It has effects, you can use it as a pedal if you output it from your PC, and its very good quality for the price. If you find a good software i suggest getting it because of your budget.
Quote by Dr McShredder
It has effects, you can use it as a pedal if you output it from your PC, and its very good quality for the price. If you find a good software i suggest getting it because of your budget.

Awesomeness. Trying to get it, but it's hard to find Malaysia.
It's got fair vocal FX and ok guitar distortions, I really liked the cleans.

All the toneports come with Gearbox, which is an amp and FX modeling software. It's ok for budget use but not top notch in my book...
Quote by moody07747
It's got fair vocal FX and ok guitar distortions, I really liked the cleans.

All the toneports come with Gearbox, which is an amp and FX modeling software. It's ok for budget use but not top notch in my book...

That sounds pretty awesome. I just checked it out online too. Oh man, can't wait to use it. But I still can't find anywhere that sells it.

I'll be using it for my band's last gig on 7th of June. I guess I'll put it through the toneport, hook it to a laptop, and straight to the speakers. Awesomeness.

Thanks, Dave.