Right now, my whole set up sounds terrible. I still have the Sidekick amp that comes with it, and I soon plan on replacing that with a Marshall MG-30 - good choice? But what can I do to the Squire itself to get a better sound out of it? Change the pickups maybe? Is it really possible to do much else? Not that this has anything to do with sound, but the guitar is cream white and I was thinking about changing the pick guard, maybe to a light tan, is it possible to change this and how would I go about doing it? Thanks.
I wouldn't bother with the MG-30. Go for a Roland Cube 30.

It depends what type of music you play really as to what you can do.
Trained physicist occasionally enslaved by engineers.
dude....dont put more money into your guitar than what its worth.....scrap that one, save up, get a new one......but if you insist.....

i would get some EMGs or P-90s in there, and possibly switching out necks with an ibanez neck (if possible)

but if that doesnt help......you my friend are screwed
!GEAR!

Epiphone '07 Faded Cherry G-400
Martin 00CXRAE Grand Concert
Spider III 75 watt
Fender Premium Celluloid Mediums
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah
It's a massive waste of money changing the pickups if you're going to use a Marshall MG or any other cheapo practice amp. You'll find the MG is by far the most hated amp on Ultmate Guitar (though half the people bashing it don't have a clue what they're talking about).
Open up a new thread in the gear and accessories forum and you'll get some much better amp suggestions.

As for the pickguard, changing it is no real problem though you'll need some very basic repair skills to remove the pickups and controls. You can buy replacements in tons of colours and finishes online, the best places include WD Music, Axesrus and Warmoth depending where you live.
you could change the pickups

you could upgrade the electronics so that when you use the tone and volume it makes a discernible difference

could get a full set up (highly advise)

those things would probably improve your sound. however to improve the guitar generally you could also

you could change the nut (would give a different noise - would also help tuning possibly)

you could upgrade the bridge (or just the saddles if you wanted)

upgrade the machineheads

and thats pretty much it to my mind
Squier woods are generally okay, and as far as upgrades, I'd start with the pickups and electronics in general. Nut, if there's anything wrong with it. Otherwise, leave it 'till it wears down. Bridge can be slightly pricy, and I'm not sure about the overall impact of the bridge on strat sounds.
Quote by KOTAZ
dude....dont put more money into your guitar than what its worth.....scrap that one, save up, get a new one......but if you insist.....

i would get some EMGs or P-90s in there, and possibly switching out necks with an ibanez neck (if possible)

but if that doesnt help......you my friend are screwed

i'll be honest, i think this guy is wrong. if you get a decent amp then it could sound great, and dont get a new neck before checking that it fits right - if the neck isn't tight to the joint you'll lose sustain

and thats if you even need a new neck. i had a mate with a squier - he had it for ten years played it every day (one of the old indonesia ones) and it was still nice when i played it
you might as well save up for a new guitar, but if you want to improve the sound of your current one you should upgrade your amp. You can get some pretty cheap decent guitars, iv got my eye on the washburn x50 pro seems like a bargain for what you get.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
don't change a thing on the guitar just yet. if you're still using that sidekick, save up for an amp, you'll be amazed at the change in quality. amp matters more towards tone and quality than guitar. and as for the MG, not to beat a dead horse, but dont buy MG, they're not true Marshalls. i was conned into getting the MG15DFX, and i've hated it since day one, the tone is nonexistent. they're pure junk thats real expensive. the roland cube series is great for solid state, but for 300-500 bucks you can get a great all tube practice amp that will blow any and all solid states out the window. change the amp first, and if you still feel the guitar is lacking, then look into upgrades or a new guitar.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Quote by CobenBlack
i'll be honest, i think this guy is wrong. if you get a decent amp then it could sound great, and dont get a new neck before checking that it fits right - if the neck isn't tight to the joint you'll lose sustain

and thats if you even need a new neck. i had a mate with a squier - he had it for ten years played it every day (one of the old indonesia ones) and it was still nice when i played it
QFT!

Most modders would replace the pots and switch, then the PUs and nut, then the bridge. The Squier necks are actually pretty decent. Lots of modders in the GB&C forum have had very good experiences with Guitar Fetish ...

PUs: http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html
Bridges: http://store.guitarfetish.com/tremelos.html
Electronics: http://store.guitarfetish.com/electronics.html
Tuners: http://store.guitarfetish.com/tuners.html

Buy a $12 soldering kit from Radio Shack, practice soldering/desoldering for an hour ... you just learned a new skill.

The cool thing about modding, no matter how inexpensive the guitar, is that you'll actually learn something: patience, guitar assembly, refinishing, etc.

The only requirements are Patience and opposable thumbs! Do it!

Quote by cthuludawn21
don't change a thing on the guitar just yet. if you're still using that sidekick, save up for an amp, you'll be amazed at the change in quality. amp matters more towards tone and quality than guitar. and as for the MG, not to beat a dead horse, but dont buy MG, they're not true Marshalls. i was conned into getting the MG15DFX, and i've hated it since day one, the tone is nonexistent. they're pure junk thats real expensive. the roland cube series is great for solid state, but for 300-500 bucks you can get a great all tube practice amp that will blow any and all solid states out the window. change the amp first, and if you still feel the guitar is lacking, then look into upgrades or a new guitar.

Actually you can get a decent all-valve practice amp for under $200. Don't forget with this type of am an overdrive pedal is near enough essential for most musical styles, so that's another $25/$50 (Behringer TO800/Digtech Bad Monkey).
However these amps may not be the best choice if you need lots of versatility.
I'm surprised nobody asked him what style he plays...

Well i loved the feel of my squier, nothing else is as comfortable and easy to play, so I changed the electronics to make it better. The input jack was crap, it was falling out and the nut and washer were missing, the pots were okay, but I switched them out for a different impedence, and the cables were all low-quality. It sounds much better now, but when i did it, I was wicked inexperienced with soldering, so alotta my contacts are flimsy (the sound cuts out from time to time when its shaking).

I also switched out a pickup for a motherbucker, and its effin sweet.

Point is, it has potential, as long as its not made of plywood.