Page 1 of 2
i cant afford the 800. i play mostly classic rock/hendrix/zeppelin and want a dam marshall half stack. im buying used so these two heads are almost identical in price. which one is better for the rock/hendrix/zeppelin vibe? and yes i know these two heads are more modern sounding. Im also not a high gain fan i like using pedals from just the clean channel unless im using straight over drive.
Quote by Russian1
i cant afford the 800. i play mostly classic rock/hendrix/zeppelin and want a dam marshall half stack. im buying used so these two heads are almost identical in price. which one is better for the rock/hendrix/zeppelin vibe? and yes i know these two heads are more modern sounding. Im also not a high gain fan i like using pedals from just the clean channel unless im using straight over drive.

oh dear

to answer your question: 900.

right. thats that over with

first off, *facepalm* for wanting a halfstack. i bet you a vietnamese orphan that you dont need one, and itd be a waste of money

second: *double facepalm* for being lured in by the big 'iconic' name.

well done for wanting a tube one, we have so many MG owners because of that

if youre playing in your room/moms basement/small club even, you only need a tube combo. bigger venues willl have PA anyway. the only people who need halfstacks are stadium rockstars who need to make their **** big again because its shrivelled from all the drugs

whats your budget? where are you? then you can get MUCH more for your cash
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
^ lmao idk i just love the look of a half stack i know ill probably never use it to full potential, which is why the Traynor YCV 50 blue is my backup option. i just want a good rock/blues sound out of an amp and there are only 3 clips of the traynor blue on youtube but everyone seems to love them, and the color is sexy
if youre hearts set, go for the 900.

or have a look around. marshall arent the be all and end all, theres a few awesome heads out there if you look
B-52 head
peavey windsor/classic/Valveking

combos: peavey valveking and classic again
Vox AC15

also try fender and epiphone combos/heads
if you can live without cleans and want some dick increasing qualities, go for the peavey windsor half stack.

if you want a jcm, get the combo used off ebay.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

if youre playing in your room/moms basement/small club even, you only need a tube combo. bigger venues willl have PA anyway. the only people who need halfstacks are stadium rockstars who need to make their **** big again because its shrivelled from all the drugs

I don't know if i agree with that. A half-stack with a closed back 4x12 gives you so much more thickness and bottom end. I think for the blues thing an open back would work, but I find for what I play I do need a half-stack, regardless of where I play.

Anyway - my vote goes for the 900.
no i cant live without cleans. i use fuzz pedals and a tube screamer over my fender blues junior. i usually only use pedals on the clean channel so the amp would need amazing cleans
What are you doing with the blues junior? If you're handy, you can gut it, and use the old transformer and speaker, and build yourself a Marshall 18w clone. They're sweet, my and a friend built one for him this year. You can find kits and instructions online.
Quote by Russian1
no i cant live without cleans. i use fuzz pedals and a tube screamer over my fender blues junior. i usually only use pedals on the clean channel so the amp would need amazing cleans

D=

you have a decent amp allready?!!?

peavey classic 30/VK/windsor head then
stevo i agree with you the blues junior is amazing. but when you have to put the volume on the highest just to get over the drummer it does not make for fun times because a blues junior at high volume is breakup and bad tone x30
Quote by Russian1
stevo i agree with you the blues junior is amazing. but when you have to put the volume on the highest just to get over the drummer it does not make for fun times because a blues junior at high volume is breakup and bad tone x30

progress ftw!

i think the windsor is a fair bit wattage, and the VK is 100W and well within budget
what about the traynor ycv 50 for a combo? i heard it does a marshall better than marshall
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
oh dear

first off, *facepalm* for wanting a halfstack. i bet you a vietnamese orphan that you dont need one, and itd be a waste of money

Need? I always hear people crying about what other people need and don't need. Halfstacks only for stadiums? Bahahahaha. You can play a stadium with a Sansamp pedal into the P.A.
It's not a matter of need, it's a matter want. I want a halfstack, so I buy a halfstack. I'm not going to be a nancy boy and think "Do I really need a halfstack?" That's lame.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Need? I always hear people crying about what other people need and don't need. Halfstacks only for stadiums? Bahahahaha. You can play a stadium with a Sansamp pedal into the P.A.
It's not a matter of need, it's a matter want. I want a halfstack, so I buy a halfstack. I'm not going to be a nancy boy and think "Do I really need a halfstack?" That's lame.

so he wants a halfstack BUT if he's never going to turn it past 4 he might as well get the combo version, save some $$$ and be able to crank it
Quote by Van Noord

THats all fine and good when you can afford mesas and what not, but when your comprimising on tone quality because you want a halfstack you go for a VK over a nice combo theres a problem.

TS, traynors are deffinately worth a look, cant say ive tried em, but they get rave reviews.
I see what you guys are saying, and the point of choosing a low quality halfstack over a higher quality combo is a valid one. I dig some combos, they can sound great. Especially a nice open backed one.

As for volume, just because you have more speakers it doesn't make the amp louder. 100 watts is 100 watts no matter the # of speakers. with 4x12's it's all about sound projection. Also a 50 or 60 watt combo is just as loud as a 100 watt combo or head. The difference between 100 and 50 watts is only 3 db's. Which is very hard for the human ear to distiguish.

Another argument is poweramp saturation. This is far more noticable with lower wattage amps between 5 - 40 watts.

In the end, the choice of what size/wattage of an amp is up to the individual player.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I prefer my jcm900 combo over my mates TSL100 half stack.

But then again, mine's an early model with EL34s. If you want to get as close to the JCM800 go for one of those if you can.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Van Noord
I see what you guys are saying, and the point of choosing a low quality halfstack over a higher quality combo is a valid one. I dig some combos, they can sound great. Especially a nice open backed one.

As for volume, just because you have more speakers it doesn't make the amp louder. 100 watts is 100 watts no matter the # of speakers. with 4x12's it's all about sound projection. Also a 50 or 60 watt combo is just as loud as a 100 watt combo or head. The difference between 100 and 50 watts is only 3 db's. Which is very hard for the human ear to distiguish.

Another argument is poweramp saturation. This is far more noticable with lower wattage amps between 5 - 40 watts.

In the end, the choice of what size/wattage of an amp is up to the individual player.

3db is twice the volume
Don't buy a JCM900 for those kinds of music.

get like a plexi or something a Great choice would be a ceriatone plexi

EDIT: btw nice to see you Russian I haven't seen you since we were arguing with those guys in the pit that one time
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at May 14, 2008,
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
3db is twice the volume

twice the power, not heard as twice as loud.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
3db is twice the volume

No, it's twice the wattage in amps
Quote by Kino22x
twice the power, not heard as twice as loud.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
hmmm well im gonna sell my blues junior and put the money towards the half stack. i found some 1960 cabs on ebay for 300 to 400$
Quote by Russian1
what about the traynor ycv 50 for a combo? i heard it does a marshall better than most modern marshalls

Fixed
Quote by Horlicks
No, it's twice the wattage in amps

dont me get all AS physics on your ass
So you want amazing clean sound and to use some pedals and you want a JCM 900......

something very wrong with this picture.................

how about one of those nice big fenders????
Shut up and play your guitar!
Quote by plbrynt
So you want amazing clean sound and to use some pedals and you want a JCM 900......

something very wrong with this picture.................

how about one of those nice big fenders????

JCM900's do have great cleans
Quote by Horlicks
JCM900's do have great cleans

+1

what about a ceriatone plexi or JCM 800 2 channel from ceriatone?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Russian1
hmmm well im gonna sell my blues junior and put the money towards the half stack. i found some 1960 cabs on ebay for 300 to 400$

Or!

Spend all money on an Orange Rocker 30 combo!

Believe me, you want this. A JCM900 for Led Zep, Hendrix and stuff, nto a good idea (I tried and believe me, it doesn't work, I've tried). The Rocker 30 is AWESOME for that music (just listen to the clip in my profile!). Secondly it has a GREAT clean channel, which is like CLEAN CLEAN oh and CLEAN! It's got PLENTY of power, mushc more than say a Blues Jr. It beats our other guitarists 50 watt Laney TT50 halfstack, so yeah it's enough for you.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
oh dear

idk why people rip on halfstacks so much, if the kid wants a stack let him get a stack! someday he might wanna take it outside and crank, if he has the money then good for him!
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Why have you just bumped a thread that has been dead for a month?

People as you say "rip" on halfstacks because more often than not the person they are recommending to has a certain amount of money he or she can spend. Now generally when said person is on a budget they will get a better quality of amplifier by going for a combo because generally good combos are cheaper than good halfstacks or the equivilant half stack to said combo. When you have the money to spend on a quality halfstack, by all means go for it. However spending a large sum of money on a poor quality half stack rather than an excellent combo for the same price isn't exactly the most logical choice is it.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Page 1 of 2