Page 1 of 2
Do you think SOME people force themselves to be different for the sake of being "different?"

do you think they do it just to seek attention? or do you think they do what they do because they genuinely like it and are being true to themselves?

Im referring to people in sub-cultures (in in punk/goth/emo/metal-heads/ ect) , people who are not considered "normal" (people with crazy hair/piercings/ tattoos/ different sense of fashion)

If you think these people are doing it for the sake of attention seeking/being non-conformist,
do you think they would totally change their ways if the whole world one day became filled with skaters/emos/punks metalheads/ect , so that they can still remain a minority.

If you think they are being "fake" do you think it is wrong?
if they are being true to themselves do you also think that is wrong?
Do you think SOME people force themselves to be different for the sake of being "different?"
Yes.

do you think they do it just to seek attention? or do you think they do what they do because they genuinely like it and are being true to themselves?
The former, as they force themselves to be different.

If you think these people are doing it for the sake of attention seeking/being non-conformist,
do you think they would totally change their ways if the whole world one day became filled with skaters/emos/punks metalheads/ect , so that they can still remain a minority.

no, I think they'd stay and milk the "I was here first" factor to death.

If you think they are being "fake" do you think it is wrong?
No, I'd call it shallow, but most people stop that when they grow up.

if they are being true to themselves do you also think that is wrong?

No, people are who they are! Damnit, I was "alternative" back in my day!
i have long(ish) hair cos short hair looks gay on me...
i had my ear stretched, but let it heal cos i CBA with cleaning it all the time.
I dont wear tracksuits cos chavs wear them.
I listen to metal..and mainly heavy guitar stuff..so im closed minded

but im happiest at that so im no fake, im just living how i feel happy
Quote by petrina_678

Do you think some people utter very redundant sentences because being redundant is redundant?
I know one person that listens to metal (For example: Listens to IN FLAMES) but if you ask them who Anders Fridén is, they'll have no idea who you're talking about.

But usually if you like to dress one way and other people don't like it, they deem you as not being normal. So if you really like to dress in a certain way it isn't wrong. If you dress so that people talk about you, then you are doing something wrong.
Quote by sargasm
Do you think some people utter very redundant sentences because being redundant is redundant?

I don't think that question is redundant at all.

Quote by rock.freak667
I know one person that listens to metal (For example: Listens to IN FLAMES) but if you ask them who Anders Fridén is, they'll have no idea who you're talking about.

But usually if you like to dress one way and other people don't like it, they deem you as not being normal. So if you really like to dress in a certain way it isn't wrong. If you dress so that people talk about you, then you are doing something wrong.

Not everyone knows every single band member of every single band they listen to. I listen to In Flames, but I couldn't tell you who that was either.

I think there's nothing wrong with expressing your originality, however I think there's a proper way to do it. There's no need to be completely "in-your-face" about how different you are, we get it. Don't be "random" and call yourself that all the time. Don't belittle others because they're "normal" and "boring". And NEVER be different because you're trying to be noticed.
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
Last edited by Xerothunder at May 14, 2008,
Quote by rock.freak667

LOL i have to confess i dont know the names of the members of most bands i listen to ...

<.<

>.>

im not saying i dont love the music i listen to.. its just that im lazy, and i cant really remember names...

yah
Quote by rock.freak667

I listen to a lot of metal, and I have no idea who that is. I'm ignorant to a lot of "famous" metallers, simply because I'm lazy, and I don't really care.
Quote by saphrax
I listen to a lot of metal, and I have no idea who that is. I'm ignorant to a lot of "famous" metallers, simply because I'm lazy, and I don't really care.

well said!
I'm the most comformist individual alive, so I don't think my opinion have any value
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Last edited by JeanMi36 at May 14, 2008,
I'm different because I am... I have an individual personality... I do what I want.
Members of so called 'non conformist groups' emo *cough* emo seem to all look the same ... so they are actually conforming to that group.

Anyone who knows me in real life will know I couldnt give a flying **** about what people think about me... so I dont conform but if I wanted to do something that conformists do... I'll do it if its me that wants to do it.
Not really. All people in these popular 'subcultures' are in fact conforming to the dress codes etc. of all their friends/the bands they like/some person on tv. They're being far more conformist that other people.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by rock.freak667

just because you like a band doesn't mean you have to know their names
Sig space available, give me some praise
I think its just all part of growing up finding identity, soemthing you feel comfertable with and i guess rebelling against what you've always been taught to be.
When i was 16/17 i was a 'metal head' and grew my hair out, ripped jeans, metallica t-shirts, pierced lip etc.
found punk music cos it said more to me than metal personaly, did the whole bright dyed mohawk thing for a while, eventually had to grow up and get a job and pay my bills.
i still wear band t-shirts because i feel most comfertable in a t-shirt and pair of jeans, but as i said its all part of growing up and i dont have anything against the next generation of kids doing it.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
i felt obligated...

i live by that philosophy

Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
I don't see how knowing the band members names etc. has any relevance when it comes to liking the music or not. Music is music, it comes from the people that make it(obviously), but their names don't matter for squat. If you are interested enough to learn the history and other details about a band, then fine, I respect that and I do it myself when it comes to the bands that I really care about. But I'm not gonna call anyone "untrue" because they "only" listen to the music. Actually, I'm gonna refrain from calling anything true, to begin with, as there really is no such thing.

But yeah, there are definitely people avoiding the social stereotypes for the sake of being different. I don't respect it much, but I know for a fact that it happens. Being "alternative" is, and has always been hot ****, there's not really anything we can do about that... except for flaming those poor SoBs here in the Pit...

My 5 cents!
Quote by fairycake92
i have long(ish) hair cos short hair looks gay on me...
i had my ear stretched, but let it heal cos i CBA with cleaning it all the time.
I dont wear tracksuits cos chavs wear them.
I listen to metal..and mainly heavy guitar stuff..so im closed minded

but im happiest at that so im no fake, im just living how i feel happy

Dude, no one ever questioned you, did they?

lol, just kiddin'

But, yeah some people definately try to be differnet for the sake of being different.
im a mix of this i am different from many of my peers.... music and the sake of not caring what i look like, but i still get along with the "cool" crowd
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Quote by Sanitarium91
BTW Mikko, epic .

I kinda felt bad for doing that… spoiling this thread with it… but I just couldn’t resist
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
i think most non-conformist do it for attention, not simpley beacuse that the way thier life turned out
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Its very true.

Tell me this....
Why do most metallers grow thier hair long?
To "fit in" with the rest? or to f.uckin headbang? (True metallers wouldnt choose the former.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Non conformists conform to not conforming......

/thread
Statistics can be used to prove anything.

14% of people know that.
Last edited by r311dude at May 14, 2008,
agreed. I wouldn't bother with all the "nonconformity" crap. I just do what I want and look like what I want to look like and I just happen to look different.
You've just made me realise I need to revise the reasons individuals don't yield to majority influence for psychology on Friday
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
This OMG NONCONFORMITY thing folds over 3 times. Check it out:

"I'm just as nonconformist as everyone else"

Is someone making fun of nonconformist types who actually aren't, but at the same time trying to be non-confromist by NOT being non-conformist, when everyone else is doing the same so they are still being conformist!!!

Mindfuck
I realised about an hour ago I try too hard being different. It is the fact I try, not the fact I'm different, that people hate me.
Well, my view is, you know that they're a fake nonconformist when their changes in personality/looks happen suddenly. I've had a few friends who are just like that, they suddenly think they like metal, and four months later, they hate nothing more than metal. It's so annoying to see, but it's a fact of life, you'll get posers in every situation; just be relentlessly cruel to them.

I adore mocking fake metalheads, I need my fix of ego massage every day, it's one way I can enforce my kvltness.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Some people do yeah, but there also a lot of people who do it just for the sake of being themselves. And yeah, the posers would probably switch to something else if something became totally mainstream. Actually, you can be different now just by looking like a normal person. At least in some places.
I don't get why people can't just shut the fuck up about this stuff and let people live how they want. It really doesn't affect me at all if someone decides to grow their hair out or dye it black or if they want to wear different clothes.
<Han> I love Hitler
Isnt this world already filled with emo's. My lord they are like a plague of locusts nowadays.

On topic, i think some people just dont want to be like everyone else. Not necessarily for attention though. But i think the majority of people who are "different" are at least heavily influenced by someone else to be like that.
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
people try to hard to be original, so hard that they're not even being themself.
Quote by strider_hein
has many issues, you are a god!

Quote by they're red hot
Has Many Issues,
I worship and adore you.
I think some (ok, most) so-called nonconformists just call themselves to feel good about the fact that they are social retards
Most people who don't want to conform end up conforming to a smaller group of people who feel the same way. So really, they're conformists.

Every once in a while you meet a true whacko.
Basically what saphrax said in his first post.

Plenty of people do things just to be different. Like how about you just do things that YOU want ://
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
funny because when these so called non conformists decide to dress different they are actually conforming. haha
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Page 1 of 2