Well guys, the time has come.... to buy my amp...dont worry I will post pr0n when I get it....but I'm still really stuck...

I have decided on a Vader 2x12 cabinet for sure.

I want an amp head so that if I want, I can buy different cab/speaker combinations to go with it, as opposed to being limited with a combo.

I am looking for a really very dark metal tone (think Opeth), with the ability to do very heavy rock(think Alter Bridge/Breaking Benjamin), as well as cleans that really shimmer through.

Preferred budget is about $1500 - $1600+ (up to $2000 max) (CAN or US) for the head, unless you can come up with a VERY good reason to spend more, which I am willing to do.....

So far, I have been looking at:

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Used Ashdown Fallen Angel 60
Randall MTS Series

Any other suggestions... please list reasons.

Thanks for the help guys.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at May 15, 2008,
My band gigs regularly throughout the summer and the odd time in the winter.
If you have $1500 I personally don't think you should get an Ashdown FA-60 head.

Speaking from my ownership of a FA-40 combo, it's cleans were mediocre at best and in my opinion the gain channel was very, very dark, the tone controls felt unresponsive and the gain just didn't seem tight at all. And Opeth has tight gain, right?

Plus, many people have a number of reliability issues with it - for me, it stopped switching channels after i had owned it for about 2 months. Plus it gave hissing feedback like crazy when my Vox AD15VT is quiet as a mouse.

Overall, this amp just... sucks, no wonder it's discontinued. This amp now just collects dust in my attic.

Thats why i'm saving for an Orange Rocker 30.
Look at some kranks, hughes &k ettner, mesa mark iv, ENGL
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
tried krank revolution? havent heard the cleans but what ihave heard is some tight distortion.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Krank eh?

hmm

The Rev or the Krankenstein? Which has a better gain stage sweep?
generally ive seen more good things about the Rev
but i've never tried one
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
generally ive seen more good things about the Rev
but i've never tried one

ditto
I will look into them.

Any other ideas guys?
krank might be a bit to modern for what sound your trying for. maybe the 5150 III ? then you have your heavy tone, but also unlike the Is & IIs more useable clean.
Tried any engl's??? They are very bright amps, but also extremly br00tal, the fireball is 60 watts or you can get the 100 watt powerball, they both sound great and are reasonably priced. otherwise maybe play the 5150III like someone else said, i've heard its pretty sweet.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
I have heard sound clips of the Kranks and they sound great, but from what Im hearing they dont really get that crunchiness, they have more of a lead tone....or am I way off?
Kendall, do you have any insight?