I'll have been playing guitar for 4 years this August. I consider myself fairly decent for how long I've been playing. However, I feel as if my ear for music (or lack thereof) is holding me back.

I have a hard time simply tuning a guitar by ear. I often get frustrated and have to use a tuner. I can tell when two notes match or not, but when they don't, I often can't tell if a note's sharp or flat unless the tuning is really far off. When I tune, I often I turn the peg slightly up and down until the note finally matches. When I tune the whole guitar (all 6 strings) by ear, it's usually off. Strummed chords sound out of tune.

When I listen to a song, I am able to pick out simple melodies and such, but have a hard time picking out exactly which chords are used.

All in all, I don't think I'm completely tone deaf, but I'm definitely below average. I feel it's holding me back as a guitar player. Does anyone else have the same problem, and what can I do to fix it?
And I mean that in the best possible way.
3 things i think can really help.

1) when tuning your guitar, say your E string really pay attention to how it sounds. it might sound silly but REALLY listen to it. it's called active listening. also make sure you tune your instrument/s daily so its always in tune. after a while (i think it took me 4 months or so) you will start to be able to tell when its out of tune, you'll think "it just doesn't sound right"

2) play with other instruments, especially those that stay in tune better and longer. like a piano or a keyboard. play with those as much as you can. they will help you hear properly tuned instruments

3) humming, humming along with in tune instruments really help cement into your brain the proper notes
Quote by SilenceIsGolden
I'll have been playing guitar for 4 years this August. I consider myself fairly decent for how long I've been playing. However, I feel as if my ear for music (or lack thereof) is holding me back.

I have a hard time simply tuning a guitar by ear. I often get frustrated and have to use a tuner. I can tell when two notes match or not, but when they don't, I often can't tell if a note's sharp or flat unless the tuning is really far off. When I tune, I often I turn the peg slightly up and down until the note finally matches. When I tune the whole guitar (all 6 strings) by ear, it's usually off. Strummed chords sound out of tune.

When I listen to a song, I am able to pick out simple melodies and such, but have a hard time picking out exactly which chords are used.

All in all, I don't think I'm completely tone deaf, but I'm definitely below average. I feel it's holding me back as a guitar player. Does anyone else have the same problem, and what can I do to fix it?

what is your general routine? Have you mostly been relying on tabs?
Quote by z4twenny
3 things i think can really help.

1) when tuning your guitar, say your E string really pay attention to how it sounds. it might sound silly but REALLY listen to it. it's called active listening. also make sure you tune your instrument/s daily so its always in tune. after a while (i think it took me 4 months or so) you will start to be able to tell when its out of tune, you'll think "it just doesn't sound right"

I can tell when a guitar's out of tune. I just am not that great at tuning.

Quote by GuitarMunky
what is your general routine? Have you mostly been relying on tabs?

To learn songs, yes.

Most of the time when I play guitar, I make up my own little riffs and such.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
Last edited by SilenceIsGolden at May 14, 2008,
You just have to train your ear.

bad at tuning? tune by ear often ( it takes time youll get better)

bad it learning songs by ear? learn songs by ear often, dont rely on reading tabs

it takes awhile, but the more you do it the better you get.