I have made an short example recording, so you can hear what i mean, its in my profile now,

its almost like something is blowing in the microphone? and the picking comes through the amp, is their anyway to reduce that noise? for the picking sound ive tried differnt size picks and letting minimal of it thouch the string but it doesnt go away

got a shure 57 mic into a toneport gx via a art mic preamp

(dont make bad comments on the playing, ive only played for 3½ months on and off)
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Last edited by Jaekae at May 14, 2008,
I am not an expert in placing a mic next to an amp but I would try different other positions. It doesn't sound that bad though. As far as picks go you could try a different make, maybe Dunlop Tortex, they are less noisy than plain plastic ones.
That does sound like ****... umm... probably too much gain, the notes are blending together and it gets real muddy. Also, even tho they say to use neck pickup to get the tone, I wouldn't. I'd use bridge and just adjust the amp accordingly adding more bass/mids and pulling back the treble.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Quote by Jaekae
I have made an short example recording, so you can hear what i mean, its in my profile now,

its almost like something is blowing in the microphone? and the picking comes through the amp, is their anyway to reduce that noise? for the picking sound ive tried differnt size picks and letting minimal of it thouch the string but it doesnt go away

got a shure 57 mic into a toneport gx via a art mic preamp

(dont make bad comments on the playing, ive only played for 3½ months on and off)

have you tried running without the ART preamp?
btw you dont need the ART but I think its a little better than the one in the toneport especially if you replace the "toob" in it for a better brand.
Quote by Dimebag06Darrel
That does sound like ****... umm... probably too much gain, the notes are blending together and it gets real muddy. Also, even tho they say to use neck pickup to get the tone, I wouldn't. I'd use bridge and just adjust the amp accordingly adding more bass/mids and pulling back the treble.

didnt setup the amp for that song, just switched to neck pup and played, but also my amp aint so good, think it was on metal settigns or something, and im not so picky about tone yet, still learning how to play the guitar

Quote by moody07747
have you tried running without the ART preamp?
btw you dont need the ART but I think its a little better than the one in the toneport especially if you replace the "toob" in it for a better brand.

i can try without it, but i doubt it will be better, the preamp in it is modeling i think,

do you know how far away from the amp the mic should be? Some videos ive seen on youtube they are less than a inch away, but when i try that it sounds even crappier than it does now
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard