Index and thumb
90 84%
2 fingers and thumb
14 13%
Never use one
3 3%
Voters: 107.
How do you hold your pick?
Also if you know how any famous guitarists hold theirs please tell.

I did use the search bar.
I hold it between my thumb and index finger. I hear Eddie Van Halen holds it between his thumb and middle finger so he can tap using his index finger.
"How to fly: Hurl yourself at the ground and miss."
-Douglas Adams
Pround member of the Motley Crue club.
I hold mine between my thumb and middle finger, but I add the index finger on the pick as well if I'm going for a pinch harmonic
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i put it between my thumb and the side of my index finger. makes pinch harmonics easier imo...

there is no "right" way to hold it, just go with what feels natural and good
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Index and thumb, with my other fingers splayed out some. My thumb hangs over the edge some for pinch harmonics.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by BB6
I hold it between my thumb and index finger. I hear Eddie Van Halen holds it between his thumb and middle finger so he can tap using his index finger.

Indeed Van Halen does this.

I hold mine between the thumb and index finger, logo up, anged slightley towads the headstock and choked up so that only about 1.5mm of the pick is sticking out.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I didnt even think that people do it EVH style i guess i should have added that as an option.

The reason i made the poll is beacuse i was taught the 2 finger and thumb method and have been doing so for so long its very comfortable and ive tried index and thumb and i feel like the pick moves around to much and is not as easy.
I guess theres no need to change if it works right?
I only use my index and thumb, but I support my index with my middle finger to retain control. I use the other fingers to anchor.
When i first started i used my thumb and middle finger. Now i use my thumb and index, with my index finger curved to where its pointed at my palm if that makes sense.
I tend to use different methods - loose with just the index finger for an airy Hendrix sound, tight with index to free middle ring and pinky for tapping or hybrid picking, and index and middle + anchoring for anything real fast. And Ron Thal holds it between his index and thumb and taps with other fingers, and I think Buckethead usually does the same.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung
i hold it with my thumb and index finger with a lil bit of my thumb goin over the side for harmonics, and i usually use my other fingers to help support the grip when i need to
I heard if you hold the pick with two fingers and thumb makes you more susceptible to Carpel-Tunnel syndrome, more tension between the joints. Not criticizing, and I'm sure it may be a myth, but that's what I heard so about a year ago I switched to holding the pick going parallel down my index with my thumb over top keeping it in place.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
I didnt even think that people do it EVH style i guess i should have added that as an option.

The reason i made the poll is beacuse i was taught the 2 finger and thumb method and have been doing so for so long its very comfortable and ive tried index and thumb and i feel like the pick moves around to much and is not as easy.

Do whatever feels comfortable and is the best for your playing currently.
Quote by /-\liceNChains

You're doing something wrong if you need to grip your pick that tight anyway. That, or some vaseline got on it?

Anyway, thumb + index is generally the way to go. I can't think of any advantages whatsoever using thumb + two fingers, in fact it seems inherently flawed to me.

If you're having grip issues, chances are something in your technique isn't quite right, or perhaps you should try sanding your pick or drilling a few small holes into them... All things that are commonplace.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.