I don't really know how to put this and make sense, but I will try.

Are Gibson Les Paul Classics actually like a Gibson Les Paul Classic Standard, or a Classic Custom? Or are they just classics?

And if they are just classics, are they considered to be pretty decent guitars? I see a lot of people bashing LP Studios, so I was wondering what the general belief on LP Classics are (not like it matters, i'm just wondering)
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Dean Custon Zone Electric Guitar
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
I've played a Classic, but not a Standard, so I can't really compare. I found the Classic to be very heavy (as you'd expect). It didn't play badly, but it didn't play particularly well either. It sounded nice, but not outstanding. Not really worth the price tag.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
ive played both, and i have a classic with 3 pickups...the classics sound REALLY good in my opinion. i don't think its worth the extra 200 or 300 bucks for a standard...just my opinion

you can always change the pickups. hope that helps!
Yeah, I got my classic used, but I played it for a while, and everything sounded fine. I got it a little bit cheaper than a studio, so it was a pretty good deal in my opinion
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
some guy in a guitar shop told me that the order of quality for gibson les pauls is like this:

standard
classic
studio

these are the main ones; there are custom shops and VOS's and whatnot, but they are generally really expensive. i would say you cant go wrong with a classic or above.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Yeah, I actually don't mind the heavy feel of my LP. I guess it just feels like it is actually worth something, unlike the pos gear I have had for a while.
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
Classic, Classic Antique, and Standards are all the same, just come with different options.

Classic Custom is made to a higher standard with more fancy bits 'n' pieces.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by mikerocks15
Yeah, I got my classic used, but I played it for a while, and everything sounded fine. I got it a little bit cheaper than a studio, so it was a pretty good deal in my opinion

same here man! got it for 1200, the price of a studio. and mine is a three-pickup classic. its the greatest guitar!!
The classics all come with the slim taper 60s neck and ceramic magnet humbuckers. The standards I belive use an alnico magnet humbucker and may have either the 60s neck or the fatter 50s neck. Neither one is better than the other it is just what ever your personal preference is.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
The Classic might be better right off for heavier stuff, with its high output ceramic pickups. Although, a set of Duncan Distortions or Dimarzio Super Distortions might be better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
There is absolutely no quality difference between the classic and the standard. They have to pass the exact same quality control.
The only differences are:

Classic:
'60 neck profile (thin neck)
high output ceramic humbuckers (perfect for hard rock and metal)
plain top
yellow-ish inlays

(looks like this:
)

standard:
'50 neck profile (thick neck)
moderate output burstbuckers (perfet for blues, rock and hard rock)
flame top
white inlays

(looks like this:
)

Now you decide what you prefer.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 14, 2008,
I'd just like to add that the Classic Antique does not have ceramic, but alnico humbuckers unlike the 'regular' Classic. The Standard and Classic LP's I played were amazing. Excellent sound and playability - they feel a little different than a Jackson or an Ibanez of course, so some people will have to get used to them first.
I personally prefer the Classic Antique or Classic, the LP Standard is just to expensive. It is definitely a great guitar, but 2.5 grand is a serious expense.
I found my Classic to be no different in than the Standards I've played, other than the neck, pickups and aged inlays.
for all of you who said the classic is same quality as the standard.

+!! , i got have les paul classic antique. very nice guitar. imo is better thn a standard cause it has these little bells and whistles, not to mention it also pack a pair of 57 classic, which is really great for anything imo
Classics are grat... earlier model (90s) classics are probably the best les pauls made. Amazing. They are exact spec to an original 1960 les paul.... 498r and 500t pickups. That 500T screams too
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Quote by LesPaulFreeek
Classics are grat... earlier model (90s) classics are probably the best les pauls made. Amazing. They are exact spec to an original 1960 les paul.... 498r and 500t pickups. That 500T screams too

They had a bad periode in the late nineties (dunno if it was since 98 or 99 anymore) - 2001 but since 2002 they seem to be totally back. Dunno for the 2007-2008 models though. never played one of these years.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
It's funny why they call it Classic when the slim taper neck and hot ceramic pups are more acquired to the modern guitarist's tastes.
Apart from the pickup selection, plain maple cap, slim neck, and 'snot green' inlays, I see no real differences. Quality wise I can assure you its no different from a Standard. It's all about preference.
eat sleep play guitar
Quote by LesPaulFreeek

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/GOLDIE93/pictures/gear/80752/

Hope the link works.

1993 all gold 1960 classic
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/GOLDIE93/pictures/gear/80752/

Hope the link works.

1993 all gold 1960 classic

very nice.. goldtops rock
here are mine
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic