Hi everyone. I am looking to purchase a high end "blues" amp (I dont live in the US and as such will be buying the amp online without having played and tested Your input is therefore greatly needed).

I appreciate that there is no such thing as a blues amp, but what I am after is an all tube amp that is simply dripping with acurate vintage tone. I am a fan of players such as Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Rory Gallagher etc and an amp that best enables me to achieve that tone is what I am after. I have heard some good things about the Fender RI Bassman, 57 Twin and 57 Deluxe RI's. But I dont really know the fundamental difference between their tone (ie what effect does the circuitry have on tone). I would be grateful if you could give me your views etc and also let me know if you think there are other better amps I should look at. No need for huge output I will not be gigging. Just a connoisseur of fine tone.

Thanks.
orange amps

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

fender bassman would be good.

also look at a marshall bluesbreaker

or you know what go talk to darkarbiter7 he'll know alot about this stuff

if you wanna spend alot look at the Chicago Blues Box that darkarbiter has
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I would recommend a twin reverb or bassman but really couldn't tell you the intimate differences between them. They just sound great to me. I have an amp very similar to the Vibrolux Reverb and it does the blues very well. Look at that one too. Good luck.
the reverb is really hard to Overdrive it's more of a clean amp while the bassman you can actually get OD from it a nice OD at that. most of Marshalls early amps were bassman clones with EL34s in em. so they were like hotrodded bassmen
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
i dunno if it will help but go onto boss website and listen to the samples of the bassman and reverb pedals
Quote by stewart91
i dunno if it will help but go onto boss website and listen to the samples of the bassman and reverb pedals

no that will not help they are absolutley horrible imo

and most of the rest of the GG&A fourm
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
most of Marshalls early amps were bassman clones with EL34s in em. so they were like hotrodded bassmen

what?!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
If you've got a big budget and want some really good tone try looking for a Two Rock Topaz head, that's some seriously gooooood tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^Yep, marshall amps started as Bassman clones.

Okay, well, what exactly is your budget? I mean, if you can afford it, you can get something ridiculously expensive like a Two-Rock, but if not, you can look at tons of different amps. A bassman would be nice. Maybe a Chicago Blues Box. I love my Ampeg Reverberocket, etc.

EDIT: ^You stole my suggestion.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I think a CBB would be good for him that or a bluesbreaker maybe.

EDIT: isn't it annoying when someone makes a thread then like never checks it again??

DOUBLE EDIT: I just re-read your first post also it says you are thinking about the reissue, DO NOT buy the reissue you can get a used silverface bassman for about the same price as the RI and it's quality is 10x better
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at May 14, 2008,
Thanks everyone for your posts. Bostonrocks as mentioned in my first post I dont live in the US so I was sleeping when you were all posting. I am awake now and am appreciative of your input.

Budget wise I am not too fussed - I just want awesome blues tone (both clear and slightly crancked). I have never heard of the Two-Rock amp, but will definately check it out. I looked at the CBB the other day on line - looks most impressive. Be that as it may what I am really after is an explanation of the fundamental tone difference between the Fender bassman, 57 Twin and 57 Deluxe. Once I understand that I will begin looking at who makes the best versions based on those circuits.

Thanks again.
http://www.troygrady.com/page.php?id=34

This page has some pretty well recorded sample tones for the Two-rock, the sound is just awesome but, of course, quite pricey.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Chicago Blues Box, about as blusey as you can get.
Buddy Guy actually has a signature model by them, modeled after his bassman.
I have the roadhouse, which is more like a cross between a blackface and a bit of a plexi.
It has alot of that fender chime, and it fattens up when it overdrives, but it also has a bit of a marshall flavor too.

Probably one of the most expressive amps without going for a two rock or a trainwreck or something. Sadly, their price tag is rather hefty, the roadhouse 4x10 goes for 2700 USD (I got mine for like half that though). You could probably get one for like half off too if you searched other forums. And the buddy guy signature usually goes for the same price as a mid range two rock. But, I think there's some sale on an online store on the buddy guy signatures, with a pretty big price drop.

Check them out at chicagobluesbox.com.

If you don't have the green to go blues box, A bassman reissue sounds like it'd work great for you.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at May 15, 2008,
Quote by gavs
Be that as it may what I am really after is an explanation of the fundamental tone difference between the Fender bassman, 57 Twin and 57 Deluxe. Once I understand that I will begin looking at who makes the best versions based on those circuits.

The main difference between those three is wattage. The Bassman's 50W, the Twin's 85W, and the Deluxe is 12W. Fender handwires the Deluxe, but if you're looking at clones, they should all be handwired.

After that, the Bassman's voicing is a little darker, more mids and bass oriented than the brighter sounding Twin. It's tough to get natural overdrive out of the Twin without hearing damage. The Deluxe is a classic little blues machine, but more of a small gig/recording amp than a real gigging amp due to it's size.

Also look at the Vox AC30, and the new Blackstar Artisan 30. I have the former and am seriously looking to purchase the latter. It's a hand-wired two channel amp with the first channel an authentic sounding original AC30 circuit, while the second channel is based on the Marshall Bluesbreaker. I was very impressed with the amp, and it's very fairly priced for what it is.

I don't know if it's good or bad news, but the reality is that more than half the tube amps out there will be great "blues amps." There's a lot to investigate, but the reward can be very high.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The main difference between those three is wattage. The Bassman's 50W, the Twin's 85W, and the Deluxe is 12W. Fender handwires the Deluxe, but if you're looking at clones, they should all be handwired.

After that, the Bassman's voicing is a little darker, more mids and bass oriented than the brighter sounding Twin. It's tough to get natural overdrive out of the Twin without hearing damage. The Deluxe is a classic little blues machine, but more of a small gig/recording amp than a real gigging amp due to it's size.

Also look at the Vox AC30, and the new Blackstar Artisan 30. I have the former and am seriously looking to purchase the latter. It's a hand-wired two channel amp with the first channel an authentic sounding original AC30 circuit, while the second channel is based on the Marshall Bluesbreaker. I was very impressed with the amp, and it's very fairly priced for what it is.

I don't know if it's good or bad news, but the reality is that more than half the tube amps out there will be great "blues amps." There's a lot to investigate, but the reward can be very high.

+1.
slats strikes again with fine advice
Thank you all for your advise. All of which is very sensible. I really like what I have read up on the CBB Buddy Guy model. I had a look at the Two Rock site - sounds amazing.

Will check up too on all the other recommendations. In teh circumstances though the Fender Deluxe sounds like it may be a great option especially since I do not want a too much wattage. The 12w probably will allow me to achieve the volume and tone I am looking for. Will let you all know what I decide.

Thanks again.
I play all types of blues and the tre was tha amp I was looking for. Phenomenol sound for the blues and averything else also.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by Brendan.Clace

what?!

He's right.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I have a Fender black face deluxe reverb 1981 and a Twin 1990 ish redknob. My brother has a Fender hot rod deluxe 2004. I have played them all. The deluxe reverb is the best sounding to me. "Blues amps" are what fender has mostly made since the begining but these amp are versitle for almost any style music.
The deluxe reverb is 22 watts has reverb and vibrato built in and footswitchable. The twin is selectable 25 or 100 watt (loud either way) built is in distortion and reverb 2 channel footswitchable eff. loop. The hot rod is 40 watts reverb and 2 distortion/gain settings eff loop footswichchable. All of these amps have 12 inch speakers and have ext. speaker capabilities.
Low volume and good tone is hard to achieve with any but again the deluxe reverb is the best to me. I have an closed back extention speaker that I use with the Deluxe. It adds beefy lows. I have used it to play out with in bars and have just recored an album with it.

Here is a helpful link http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/
Last edited by joshmaloney at May 16, 2008,
If you're looking for all tube, blues amp go with the Ampeg Reverberocket
+1 to all who said twin reverb but you want to get your hands on a vintage one pre '65 the reissues are not hand wired but PCB. Also check out the Fender custom shop Vibro king hand-wired amp. that thing is a blues beast i loved the sound of it when i played one my dad said it was too much for an xmas present so i got a hotrod but if you got the funds go for a vrbro king or a vintage twin reverb