My mate bought a jazz drumkit recently and he's looking to start a band. he asked me if i wanted to be his guitarist... but i don't know much about jazz. so...
could you please name me some really good and well known jazz artists and songs ?
i'd really like to be in his band, but without a fair amount of jazz knowledge, i don't think it's gonna work out.

thanks alot !
Depends what 'Jazz' you're playing. But Coltrane definetly, and try out Freddie Hubbard.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
wes montgomery has lovely smooth songs.
joe pass has a more extravagant style.
Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis have to be there too

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Go to the blues and jazz forum and you will find all of the good artists listed there.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
In jazz, don't look at the music song by song. Rather, learn the language of jazz. Many chord changes are similar and have similar conventions. The hard part is learning to play jazz, not learning the chords.

Learning to play jazz is not something you can grasp in a day, a week, a month, or even a year. But it's never too late to start.

Joe Pass is a great teacher for the fundamentals of jazz. Check out this series of videos in which he explains the basic jazz blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9V4SzY78j8

Stylistically, sax players are crucial to emulate upon. Check out bebop greats such as Charlie Parker.

Guitar-wise, my favorites are Wes Montgomery and Kurt Rosenwinkel. They're contrasting in style, one being traditional and the other one being modern.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
wes montgomery's version of fly me to the moon is awesome-o
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
know your 2, 5 1's. meaning the classic parker chord progression
it depends if youre into big band stuff or not.
give stanley jordan and wes montgomery a try. charlie parker, loui armstrong, maynard ferguson, dizzie, miles adves. all classics.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Paul Desmond. He's my sax inspiration.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
just listen to lots of jazz. Learn your theory. work on phrasing.

Remember: you have to know the rules to break them.

Play a wrong note once its a mistake. play a wrong note twice its jazz. - Miles Davis

check my band out. were Like a stripped down Gypsy Jazz trio that plays every thing from Hard bop to Swing http://www.myspace.com/pactrio
Sig What?
"Jazz" is just about as wider term as possible. Allan Holdsworth is a great jazz fusion player. But you can go all the way to classic big band jazz, or Charlie Parker and be-bop, or Miles Davis and modal jazz.

(My Dad set up and owns jazzscript.com, quite a well known Jazz site, so he bores me with his tales )
gordon goodwin is a good contemporary artist. for older stuff, try sammy nestico or stan kenton.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
al di meola is a great jazz/latin/fusion guitar player
Quote by Ross724
whats harder than nailing a dead baby to a tree

nailing a live baby to a dog
ii I IV, a common jazz chord progression; also look at Miles Davis, not much guitar byt awesome music.
Pound for pound, I am the most vicious of all.
Django Reinhardt's music is more swing than jazz, but you can learn a lot about jazz guitar from his songs. Other than that, Wes Montgomery is great, as is the guy who played on Miles Davis' fusion stuff (can't recall the name, but check out the album Bitches' Brew).
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by bendystraw
Kenny G.

just kidding.

whats wrong with Kenny G? I think some of his music is great
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.