ok so my teacher (yes the same one that said black people cant get skin cancer) said that sea sponges are animals but they cant think. once again i will take this to the pit. how does this work?
Well aren't they similar to plants? Anyway, animals can't "think". Not in human terms, anyway.
that one in the pineapple could haha...ha

but no they can't
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
how should Spongebob be able to live then?
Quote by Sean-Man
what the hell is fap?
no, they can not. they have no brains.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
no, they can not. they have no brains.

so does that mean they cant feel or use any other senses? because when humans sense things the sensation is sent as a message to their brain.
wait......why do three people on here have the same avatar? Did i miss something?
Quote by Death_To_Emo
Hey I said this once
No... But they are magic. I don't think they are even decidedly one organism, just an incredibly complex colony of cells. Of course, that's entirely the kind of unscientific speculation I come up with on the bus.
Quote by Death_To_Emo
wait......why do three people on here have the same avatar? Did i miss something?

i have also wondered this...but felt like a noob asking
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Hes right this time. No, sponges lack any tissue, so no nerves or brain, other than in individual cells. Eating what they eat, they have no need to think. They cant even move.
Quote by chimpinatux
i have also wondered this...but felt like a noob asking

go to the I have cancer - thread
Quote by Sean-Man
what the hell is fap?
Quote by lilfosta
so does that mean they cant feel or use any other senses? because when humans sense things the sensation is sent as a message to their brain.

I don't think they even have nerves to begin with.
Quote by lilfosta

they cant feel or use human senses. they are a group of individual cells working together, with each cell performing a different function. if a piece of a sponge breaks off, it will grow into a new sponge. they just filter edible material from the water, and use it to sustain.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Spamwise
Well aren't they similar to plants? Anyway, animals can't "think". Not in human terms, anyway.

Animals can ****ing think you idiot.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Quote by Baboom

No, they can't. They can feel and behave according to their instincts. They cannot question their own behaviour nor can they consider alternatives, what we, as humans, refer to as 'thinking'.
Sponges have a nerve net, as people stated. There's no brain to speak of.

I also agree that animals can't think. I think, therefore I am wasn't conceived by a sponge, or any other animal except humans. To be honest, though, look where thinking's gotten us. A primal hunter-gatherer lifestyle would be far better than the urban jungle we have today.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
Quote by oyvindree
go to the I have cancer - thread

crap i did miss something
*delayed sympathy*
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
i think that other animals (ones with brains) CAN think because my dog has dreams because she always makes sounds in her sleep. but the question is what language do other animals think in???
Quote by lilfosta
i think that other animals (ones with brains) CAN think because my dog has dreams because she always makes sounds in her sleep. but the question is what language do other animals think in???

Well, humans don't think in languages to begin with. Yes of course, you can think up a sentence, sure. But most of our thinking is based on the memories of pictures, sounds, smells and feelings. Language is just a way to make our thoughts accessible and understandable for others.

I'll repeat it: Animals don't think. They act based on instinct - period. This is exactly the opposite of thinking. This has been scientifically proven and I don't think it is a subject to be discussed, unless somebody has a reliable source that states otherwise.

EDIT: Just realised I sound like an ass. But what I said still stands.
I think it's more about what is the definition of thinking?
If you think thinking is being able to move around, eat, hide for predators of defend yourself yes I think sponges can think.
If you think thinking is thinking about a next move or thinking, lets just go to that spot (without eating involved) no I dont think sponges can think.
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Quote by tyronelab
Maybe they don't have a brain, just a nervous system equally spaced throughout the body and no control center.

winwinwinwinwin
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
Quote by Baboom

Read my ****ing post. I said "In human terms". As in, like a human.

think that other animals (ones with brains) CAN think because my dog has dreams because she always makes sounds in her sleep. but the question is what language do other animals think

Well, you don't really know that she's dreaming.
Quote by HammerAndSickle
Sponges have a nerve net, as people stated. There's no brain to speak of.

I also agree that animals can't think. I think, therefore I am wasn't conceived by a sponge, or any other animal except humans. To be honest, though, look where thinking's gotten us. A primal hunter-gatherer lifestyle would be far better than the urban jungle we have today.

Says the Communist...
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Thecla
I think it's more about what is the definition of thinking?
If you think thinking is being able to move around, eat, hide for predators of defend yourself yes I think sponges can think.
If you think thinking is thinking about a next move or thinking, lets just go to that spot (without eating involved) no I dont think sponges can think.

The first things you mentioned are all driven by instinct, thinking only happens in the second paragraph. Good choice of words, I must admit.

This thread is pretty shocking. Anybody who wrote that animals can think should consider taking biology and philosophy classes. Thinking requires reflection, which animals aren't capable of. They don't think about what they do - they just do the first thing their instincts tell them.

Quote by Spamwise
Well, you don't really know that she's dreaming.

+1
Additionally, dreaming is not an active process, thinking is. Don't confuse a working brain with a thinking mind, people.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 14, 2008,
Do they have neurons? If no, there is your answer.

Quote by TheQuailman
This thread is pretty shocking. Anybody who wrote that animals can think should consider taking biology and philosophy classes. Thinking requires reflection, which animals aren't capable of. They don't think about what they do - they just do the first thing their instincts tell them.

Fail. The distinction between humans and animals is artificial. There are some mammals which have self-awareness and are capable of complex thinking. E.g. Apes (including humans) and dolphins.
Last edited by Firzen_Zero at May 14, 2008,
Quote by Spamwise
Read my ****ing post. I said "In human terms". As in, like a human.

Yeah humans can't think either, as in like an elephant.
I don't need a sig....
Quote by Firzen_Zero

Fail. The distinction between humans and animals is artificial. There are some mammals which have self-awareness and are capable of complex thinking. E.g. Apes (including humans) and dolphins.

Out of the countless amount of animals, those few you listed are some of the most complex. Dolphins are pretty intelligent creatures.. Some apes can speak sign language !
So is it just apes and dolphins that can "think", or are there more animals that can?
Quote by lilfosta
ok so my teacher (yes the same one that said black people cant get skin cancer) said that sea sponges are animals but they cant think. once again i will take this to the pit. how does this work?

cut it open and look for the brain