well i've been playing for 10+ years and i've never taken a guitar apart or put one together.

i've really been wanting to make a different strat lately, something with more of a twangy sound, but still have my main strat too. so i want to assemble the parts for cheaper.

question: would it work if i simply bought (off ebay, for cheap) an american strat body (probably a 2008 but if i could find an earlier year for cheaper i'd do that), a strat neck (most likely a maple fretboard 1990+), and then of course the pickups, bridge, tuners etc?

do the necks usually tend to fit in most of the strat bodies? or am i going to run into a big problem here?

it seems if i'm paying about 150 each for the neck, body and pickups, i'd be saving a lot of money and i'd also get the custom colors that i want. i'll worry about assembling it later.. thanks!
A strat neck will fit a strat body. You can even fit a tele neck to a strat and vice versa quite easily (the neck pockets are only slightly differently).

At the very worst you might require a shim if its a bit loose or a light shave if its too tight (I doubt tho)
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
just make sure you get an american neck for an american body. They are set up for 22 frets while foreign strats are only 21 frets. the necks are not interchangeable with different fret amounts
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
just make sure you get an american neck for an american body. They are set up for 22 frets while foreign strats are only 21 frets. the necks are not interchangeable with different fret amounts

There are Am necks with 21 frets.

TS, your best bet is to ask on the fender forums, they'll know for sure
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.