what?
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Dark = lots of bass. Bright = lots of treble. Muddy = not clear sounding, muffled even, can be a result of low mids in an amp or a just a bad amp, this usually describes distortion. Saturated is a way to describe power tubes that are pushed past their limits into overdrive which creates tube distortion, the most favorable kind.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Dark = lots of bass. Bright = lots of treble. Muddy = not clear sounding, muffled even, can be a result of low mids in an amp or a just a bad amp, this usually describes distortion. Saturated is a way to describe power tubes that are pushed past their limits into overdrive which creates tube distortion, the most favorable kind.

aaah, thanks kev!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Kevin Saale

You said it all man!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I should note that dark and bright don't necessarily describe a bad amp, just an amps characteristics, while a muddy amp is pretty much always bad.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Pretty much spot-on, though with some amps using too much mids can make things mud up a little. You'd have to really overdo the mids for that to happen though.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
is there a resource (book or website) that describes all that stuff withough going into too much electrical stuff? i always wondered about the specifics of tube amps, but most of what i find is full of technical electricians' babble that makes no sense to me...

thanks for the above definitions...very helpful!
Probably not. Best bet is to just ask what someone means when they use on of those words, or ask what that word means like the thread starter.
Quote by primeguy31
is there a resource (book or website) that describes all that stuff withough going into too much electrical stuff? i always wondered about the specifics of tube amps, but most of what i find is full of technical electricians' babble that makes no sense to me...

thanks for the above definitions...very helpful!

Well if you want to know the techincal stuff, then it's mostly electrical.

What exactly is it that you want to know?

Other good definetions of amp sound:
Headroom- How much volume the amp handles before overdriving. Amps with low headroom start overdriving almost instantly, but ones with high headroom handles a lot.
Clarity- The opposite of muddy. This is when the amp picks up very note well, also things like dynamics and nuances. However you also hear ALL your mistakes!
Attack- High attack means that the note basically comes instantly and "bites" in a way. With low attack the amp sounds smoother.
Smooth- This is when an amp produces a sound opposite of that with lots of attack, the notes kind of "blend" into eachother (not a if they sound muddy though). Common wiht cranked tube amps.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009