i've got a tsl60, sounds kinda thin and untight
after USING THE SEARCHBAR i noticed many people solve this with a tubescreamer
an alternative i thought of would be simply using a graphic EQ. what if i were to really crank the input/output levels on it (refering to the dunlop 10 band EQ here)
the added level could act like a tubescreamer by pushing the tubes with more level, and then i could boost the low mids to tighten it up..i think the low mids are the frequency that would help most, i've heard the peavey 6505 has a lot of low mids, and its known as a very tight amp
think this could work?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Yup, you probably wouldn't even have to up the level, just boosting the frequencies you need should help you out. Either way I think an EQ like the MXR 10-band should be in every guitarists rig.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
sounds good...always great to get advice from a registered sex offender;p
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

I think you're the first person to ever say anything about that.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
tone wise, does anyone think one is better than the other?
i think the EQ could be more usefull for me, especially for recording things, but if a screamer will work better i may go for that...leaning towards EQ right now though
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

sorry ts but most likely the best way right here isn't hitting two birds with one stone
you will most likely have to get both to really be satisfied
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by forsaknazrael
^o rly?

I think an EQ is the way to go, more sculpting power.

At the cost of noise. I dunno, I guess EQ's just don't do it for me.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

It's all in the setup, you don't actually want to boost too many frequencies. For whatever frequency you boost a tiny bit, a tiny bit has to come off it's sister frequency to avoid a boost in volume, and hence, noise.
I would get an overdrive, it will solve a lot of problems. It surprises me though that you think a Marshall TSL lacks mids and then say a 5150 is rich with mids. The TSL60 is a good amp, so just an overdrive will tighten it up.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Neither, I never saw their benefit but I can udnerstand their inclusion with some. I would just tweak the knobs on my amp, because an EQ usually falsifies tone a bit anyway. Plus, I can use my MuRF as an Eq if I really need to anyway, which I don't.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I would spend the money on new tubes, personally. I think Marshall use rebranded Sovteks - which tend to be somewhat thin and trebly. An EQ might compensate a little but it won't solve the problem.

My other suggestion is to turn the volume up!
i use a Tubescreamer and an MXR 6 Band EQ through my DSL. I use the OD for some extra gain and tighten up the low end, and the EQ is in the FX loop for minor tweaks if i need (to reduce the mid hump of the tubescreamer a little or kick it up as a boost or for a fatter tone)

depends how far you're bringing the mids down, if you bring em down ultimately then your tone will sound thin and trebly. i go down no less than 4-5 with the TS on.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^o rly?

I think an EQ is the way to go, more sculpting power.

Yum. Sculpting power. I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by IncubusMan999
I would get an overdrive, it will solve a lot of problems. It surprises me though that you think a Marshall TSL lacks mids and then say a 5150 is rich with mids. The TSL60 is a good amp, so just an overdrive will tighten it up.

I would agree that the 5150 has a bit more low mids than the TSL60, but certainly not more high mids.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by carniferous
Yum. Sculpting power. I wholeheartedly agree with this.

You can enjoy your sculpting, alone in your room, while I go play with my band.
whew,thanks for all the posts
mids-i find the tsl has lots of high mids, but not very much tight low mids. i've seen threads talking about 5150/6505's saying they are rather tight becuz of the low mids in them.
the other guitar player in my band has a spiderIII combo..even it seems to have more low mids then my tsl, though it does sound pretty sterile.
keep in mind this is all through an epi les paul pups
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

for tone reference, think slipknot/killswitch...im not really looking for either exact tone, but references...and nevermore too, more than anything.jeff loomis has a sick tone
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer