G# -> A
B --> C
D --> E

However, wouldnt it resolve better if Emaj7 was used:

E --> E
G# --> A
B --> C
D# --> E

Wouldnt the D# here want to resolve a lot more strongly than the b7 in the dominant chord?

Edit:

Im ignoring the fact that A minor has no D#.... Im thinking along the lines of going from A minor into Eminor somewhere along the line, howerver, I just want to know what is better really, and what is classically allowed.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
E7 Am (V - i) is a very common lick in a minor key.

The reason Emaj7 isn't used is because the dom7 chord creates a great deal of tension which allows for the exotic harmonic minor scale (A harm minor over E7) to be used effectively. The tension also leads to a good resolution.

PS-Nothing is allowed or forbidded in music, except when it comes to naming.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
E7 Am (V - i) is a very common lick in a minor key.

The reason Emaj7 isn't used is because the dom7 chord creates a great deal of tension which allows for the exotic harmonic minor scale (A harm minor over E7) to be used effectively. The tension also leads to a good resolution.

PS-Nothing is allowed or forbidded in music, except when it comes to naming.

I can see how the tension leads to better resolution, I just assumed making the interval gap from D -> E to D# -> E would create a better resolution.

Listening to the chord though, its the dominant chord that gives the better resolution so its b7 -> tonic basically which gives the tension and release?
Quote by Guitardude19
I can see how the tension leads to better resolution, I just assumed making the interval gap from D -> E to D# -> E would create a better resolution.

Listening to the chord though, its the dominant chord that gives the better resolution so its b7 -> tonic basically which gives the tension and release?

With the dominant 7th you have a tritone between the 7th and the 3rd of the V chord. The 7th (D in your example) resolves down to the 3rd of the tonic, while the 3rd (G# in your example and the "leading tone") resolves up to the root of the tonic.

this is standard procedure.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Where are you getting the b7 from?

Hey I didnt even put b7 what are talking about?

edit: Oh the TS NM

he is talking about the b7 of the dominant chord. D is the b7 of an E7 chord.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 14, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
With the dominant 7th you have a tritone between the 7th and the 3rd of the V chord. The 7th (D in your example) resolves down to the 3rd of the tonic, while the 3rd (G# in your example and the "leading tone") resolves up to the root of the tonic.

Makes sense now... My theory is so rusty... I havent looked at it for a year.

Thanks!

Quote by bangoodcharlote
TS: Where are you getting the b7 from?

Ah sorry I meant the b7 from the dominant chord.
Quote by Guitardude19
Makes sense now... My theory is so rusty... I havent looked at it for a year.

Thanks!

Ah sorry I meant the b7 from the dominant chord.

NP, glad to help.

Your b7 made perfect sense btw.
The b7 resolves down to the three. The 7th in a dominant chord more or less always resolves down.
Quote by GuitarMunky

Spot on. Tritones are the name of the game. You beat me to it in this thread ! = ]