I have a Squier Strat that I just did a few upgrades to. One thing I want to do is convert it to a fixed bridge. I cant find find a fixed bridge that will screw down to the body.

Do hardtail Strats not have the cavity cut out for the bridge block? I mean I want to really secure the bridge down to the body, to help it keep tune. I have the bridge screwed down in the front but there is no room to really drill holes and screw it down from the back.

Any ideas on how to make it a fixed bridge?

Thanks.
You could put 5 trem springs in, tighten them as far as you can, and put a block of wood between the bridge block and body.
That's what I was going to suggest. No need to screw it down, a slightly over-sized hardwood block (one that doesn't easily slip in) would more than suffice. I used to use one made from a 2x4 (definitely not hard wood) and it worked just fine.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Thanks guys,

On a previous string change, I added a total of 5 springs in the back. I screwed the bracket that the springs hook onto, in all the way. I still had some flex in it though.

I just did a couple mods to it and screwed it down. I noticed that the bottom of the bridge near the original 6 screw holes was angled at the bridge pickup side. I found out that tightening the original 6 screw would lift the bridge up at a angle. So I drilled 5 holes below the 6 original holes, above the saddles, and screwed it down to the body there. I am still using the 5 springs with full tension from the bracket being tightened up to the body. That seems to work good, but it's not perfect.

I was not sure if there was another bridge I could put on it so I could screw it down at both ends to make it tight.

Maybe I will try the block of wood, but I don't see that working better then it is right now.

Thanks for the advice.
Quote by customstrat92

I saw that, and was thinking about it, but I'm not crazy about the flames.

I might be able to make something similar without the flames. Just a rectangle piece of metal. If I did, would I have to screw the block part of the bridge back on. You know the part that sits in the cavity, that the screw connect to?

Thanks.
Last edited by ninja23 at May 14, 2008,
You can buy flat fixed bridges, but you're better off either blocking the trem, as advised, or cutting pieces of wood to fill the whole trem cavity.
Quote by ninja23
I saw that, and was thinking about it, but I'm not crazy about the flames.

I might be able to make something similar without the flames. Just a rectangle piece of metal. If I did, would I have to screw the block part of the bridge back on. You know the part that sits in the cavity, that the screw connect to?

Thanks.

Musicians friend used to sell one without the flames that covered the cavity, but I can't find it.