Hey guys, first post in this forum.

I just modded my Squier Strat a little. Well all I really did was change all parts to black, and cut the pickguard to fit a humbucker in the neck and bridge. I was looking for a pickguard set up for H-S-H, but didn't find one until after I was done cutting mine. Mine came out good so I might just keep it. I had to take a router and make room in the neck cavity to fit it. Anyway my pickups are installed now, I think the guitar looks real good and sounds great for what it is.

I would like to find out about re fretting the neck. I am real handy, so I am wondering if this is something I can do?

Thanks.
It is something that you can do yourself as far as i have heard, but the only stories i have heard have involved a hefty bill from a guitar shop to repair damage haha!

Surely there is something on google about it?
Well the guy who just posted may not know completely what he is talking about. Alot of us (myself included) like to build guitars, which includes fretting a fretboard (duh). The process is pretty simple. First find out what the tang width of your frets are (and as a biproduct fret slots). This is measured by pulling up a fret and measuring the tang with a pair of calipers. Then you can order the corresponding fretwire from www.stew-mac.com or ebay (or another guitar parts supplier.
To remove a fret lightly heat it with a soldering iron to melt the glue and then simply pull. Frets can be installed with super glue (crazy glue) or if the fit is tight elmers white glue.
You probably want a google search of the process, or www.projectguitar.com has a good tutorial. There are more details, I just gave a slight overview.

Good luck!
yeah, you need a hefty bill in tools to do it properly, deadblow hammer, neck caul support, the fretwire ofcourse, a fretting saw, radius beam (if you want to do it properly), levelling file, crowning file, 220, 320, 400, 600, 0000 steel wool abrasives for polishing. tape to cover the fretboard while you are doing it. titebond to hold them in. likely need a new nut when you are done because of the dramatic change in fret-height.

aand to that dude ^^

never put super glue or epoxy on a fret, unless its the very ends of them, and its a bound neck. thats just stupid. superglue and epoxy dont react to heat, thus pulling them out will rip your wood out and **** up your fret slot. ask me how i know.
Quote by ninja23
Hey guys, first post in this forum.

I just modded my Squier Strat a little. Well all I really did was change all parts to black, and cut the pickguard to fit a humbucker in the neck and bridge. I was looking for a pickguard set up for H-S-H, but didn't find one until after I was done cutting mine. Mine came out good so I might just keep it. I had to take a router and make room in the neck cavity to fit it. Anyway my pickups are installed now, I think the guitar looks real good and sounds great for what it is.

I would like to find out about re fretting the neck. I am real handy, so I am wondering if this is something I can do?

Thanks.
It's something you can do.
An equally important question would be: Is this something you SHOULD do?
Why would you want to refret? A little uneven and worn? Consider leveling/crowning/polishing your frets. You'll need to do these steps anyway with new frets. And if there's enough "meat" left on your frets, this will get more mileage out of them before you actually need to re-fret.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You can get the tools for a fret job for about the cost of a fret job. But then you could do many more for that price. It does take a few tries to do a good job. Your first 1 or 2 wont be very pretty.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I will look into those links for more info.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Why would you want to refret? A little uneven and worn? Consider leveling/crowning/polishing your frets.

Well I know its a cheap guitar, but I like it a lot. I don't mind that the body is made of cheap wood. I have upgrade the pickups, and I love the way it sounds with 2 humbuckers in it. I love the way it looks. The only thing I don't like are the frets, but I like the way the neck plays, its hard to explain. I don't like the angle of the fret at the end where it meets the side of the fret board. Both of my E strings will slide off the fret board to easy. Plus a couple frets don't let the note ring out good. I have to fret real hard in some places. I know polishing will fix that but I would like to replace all the frets with good ones.

I want to see how nice I can get this Squier to sound, look, feel and play. I would like to keep the original neck and body. That way, it will still seem like a Squier to me.

I have a couple cheap thing I still have left to do. I already installed stock LP pickups in the neck and bridge, and have a Fender SCN in the middle. I am ordering a chrome cover for my middle pickup. Chrome switch knob. I want to replace the 3 pots, resistor and switch.

Here is a pic of it sofar.

^ sounds like you just bend the E strings the wrong way

do yourself a favor. if you decide to refret it yourself, get yourself a piece of wood and a fret saw and practice installing the frets into the scrap piece.

also, your frets are probably glued in from the factory... you may have to warm them with a soldering iron to soften the glue and SLOWLY walk the fret out with a small pair of end nippers modified with sharper jaws to bite under the fret and SLOWLY remove the fret. Any little pieces that chip out have to be saved and glued back in place.

there are tons of websites with this information... projectguitar.com is my favorite.

going back to what you were saying about it being "cheap". The body is probably alder or basswood - both of which are good tonewoods. The neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard - both standards of the industry. The woods may be slightly sub-par but i'm sure they work under Fender's quality control so they don't disintegrate while you play them... they just use garbage electronics and they're made by 4 year old boys in a chinese sweatshop. With a proper setup you could probably put strings on a turd and get it to sound decent.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology