We all know the MG is the probably the most loathed amp on the market right now. About 3 years ago, in my uneducated tone days, bought the MGDFX250. At this point in my guitar career, I realized that I will never get the tone I'm searching for out of it. I'm selling it soon and getting a Valveking 212, but in the meantime I've come up with a solution to the problem.

Get a pedal. I'm not sure how others sound, but my Metal Muff Top Boost works great. Dial in the desired settings on the pedal. Plug into the clean channel (obviously). Turn all the eq knobs to 5 so as to let the pedal do the eq work. Turn the gain almost to 0, not all the way though b/c gain=volume too for this specific channel. Now all you have to do is turn the master volume on the amp/pedal up and rock out.

I wish I had recording capabilities to show you the difference, it's astounding. I could listen to most sound clips and tell you its a ****ty MG, but not with this setup. It's not tube tone, but it's far better than MG ****.
so basically your just using your pedal as the actual amp and just running it through the MG speaker...

not a bad idea
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5
so basically your just using your pedal as the actual amp and just running it through the MG speaker...

not a bad idea

Essentially yes. I actually took my Metal Muff over to GC the other day and compared the tone using the settings I described through the MG, and had my friend play through the Valveking. They wasn't too much difference, except for the tube warmth from the Valveking which is to be expected.
Too bad the speaker in the MG blows.

Quote by zhunt1130
I described through the MG, and had my friend play through the Valveking. They wasn't too much difference, except for the tube warmth from the Valveking which is to be expected.

Lol.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
Too bad the speaker in the MG blows.

Lol.

I know believe me, but it's a huge improvement for the MG. When I sell it I'm getting a valveking and throwing 2 v30s in it.