Well I am a little confused. So I am starting to memorize the Major Scale and hopefully be able to improvise something with it. So to master it I basicly need to like know it every key, every position and what not right? Well at the moment I know the pattern for Major Scale is WWHWWWH. So I know how to find a G major scale by starting on G but when I was asking someone for help about this he gave me a couple patterns. The first one starts with G but the second scale doesn't so how would it be a G major scale when it starts on the A/5th Fret?

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o o | | | |  3<--- 3rd fret G Major
| | o o | |  4
o o o o o o  5
o o o o o o  7
| | | | o o  8

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o o o o | | 5
o o o o o o 7
o | | | o o 8
| o o o | | 9
| | | | o o 10
| | | | | |

Another question I have is are their patterns for other scales like Pentatonic Minor, and Major? (ie. WWHWWWH?) Is there a whole half pattern like that to help me figure out those scales too?
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
Last edited by Kash1333 at May 14, 2008,
Quote by Kash1333
Well I am a little confused. So I am starting to memorize the Major Scale and hopefully be able to improvise something with it. So to master it I basicly need to like know it every key, every position and what not right? Well at the moment I know the pattern for Major Scale is WWHWWWH. So I know how to find a G major scale by starting on G but when I was asking someone for help about this he gave me a couple patterns. The first one starts with G but the second scale doesn't so how would it be a G major scale when it starts on the A/5th Fret?

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o o | | | | 3<--- 3rd fret G Major
| | o o | | 4
o o o o o o 5
o o o o o o 7
| | | | o o 8

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o o o o | | 5
o o o o o o 7
o | | | o o 8
| o o o | | 9
| | | | o o 10
| | | | | |

You said your just starting to memorize the Major scale. What I would recommend is taking it at a more realistic pace.

Rather than learning every key in every position, why not start with 1 pattern in 1 key, in 1 position.

Learn it, memorize it, utilize it.

Don't move on until you have achieved that.

Some general advice:

Don't be in such a hurry to learn everything. Build your foundation 1 solid brick at a time.
It's the same pattern..it just got move down two strings.
it also just shift up 1 fret at the B and little E string.

The root is on the D string 5th.

The root is still on the top E string 3rd fret...just add a little dot.
for the second pattern on 3rd fret.lol

or just use a highlighter to mark all the root notes.

yeah do like munkey say .... learn it in 1 box pattern first
before you put two together.
Last edited by Ordinary at May 14, 2008,