So, I'm planning to travel either to England or to the States in order to formally study music....so...I was wondering which, do you think, is the best place for studyng music and which school?
This kind of decides the rest of my life, so it's kind of a big deal
Please I need some help from fellow musicians
Thanks

I've heard Berklee in America is very good, but then there's the Royal Academy of Music in London..
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
in the UK we have something called BIMM (brighton institute of modern music) the bristol one was the one of the first ever music institutes in the UK, but any BIMM's are good.
It costs per year, but you get a diploma in Music production, as well as the instrument you choose. Playing live is part of it as well.
Dude, the Bristol version of BIMM doesn't open until September, lol. ^^

TS, it depends what kinda music studying you want to do. Traditional (i.e. Classical etc) or Contemporary. There's some great places over here in the UK for contemporary, like ACM, BIMM or ICMP. I'll be able to tell you what ACM's like first hand in a few months, but I hear the others are good too.
Quote by Ichimaru
I've heard Berklee in America is very good, but then there's the Royal Academy of Music in London..

So? You'd go for Berklee or the Royal Academy? I'm really stressed out about this
USA, simply for the experience of living there. You'll probably recieve just as good an education plus there is much more to do in America than in the UK.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Dude, the Bristol version of BIMM doesn't open until September, lol. ^^

TS, it depends what kinda music studying you want to do. Traditional (i.e. Classical etc) or Contemporary. There's some great places over here in the UK for contemporary, like ACM, BIMM or ICMP. I'll be able to tell you what ACM's like first hand in a few months, but I hear the others are good too.

I want to study mainly classical music, jazz, blues, metal, rock, but yet, anything music it's fine for me, the thing is as here in uruguay we dont have much resources to know which is the best music school over there it gets difficult :S
I would be greatly intrested to know about your experience on the ACM why did you chose it?
Quote by GrissomFan
in the UK we have something called BIMM (brighton institute of modern music) the bristol one was the one of the first ever music institutes in the UK, but any BIMM's are good.
It costs per year, but you get a diploma in Music production, as well as the instrument you choose. Playing live is part of it as well.

Money is not a problem, but what would you say about education?
Im studying GCSE Music in the UK at the moment. Its really simple, and wasy to learn, but most of it is the HISTORY of music. And it will probably be like that for a while, maybe until degree level.
Quote by jojoel10
I want to study mainly classical music, jazz, blues, metal, rock, but yet, anything music it's fine for me, the thing is as here in uruguay we dont have much resources to know which is the best music school over there it gets difficult :S
I would be greatly intrested to know about your experience on the ACM why did you chose it?

I chose it because it was the best (in my opinion) of the places I'd visited and researched over here for contemporary music, as well as the awesome music scene of the location and all the contacts you get from the place too.
Ive studied Music (i.e. Classical etc) for two years now at Sixth Form, and decided to persue popular/contemporary music (i.e, rock, funk, pop, blues, jazz, metal etc etc), and gain a degree in guitar performance. I'd rather do that than study a standard Music course, which is, like I mentioned before, classical orientated.
Quote by jojoel10
So? You'd go for Berklee or the Royal Academy? I'm really stressed out about this

lol, you've got to be like the next Hendrix or Vai allready to start studying there.... they're top notch!
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
Quote by Aplanken
lol, you've got to be like the next Hendrix or Vai allready to start studying there.... they're top notch!

Crap...lol....

In both places?
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
USA, simply for the experience of living there. You'll probably recieve just as good an education plus there is much more to do in America than in the UK.

Visiting Europe on weekends? lol what do you mean?
Quote by Steve The Plank
I chose it because it was the best (in my opinion) of the places I'd visited and researched over here for contemporary music, as well as the awesome music scene of the location and all the contacts you get from the place too.
Ive studied Music (i.e. Classical etc) for two years now at Sixth Form, and decided to persue popular/contemporary music (i.e, rock, funk, pop, blues, jazz, metal etc etc), and gain a degree in guitar performance. I'd rather do that than study a standard Music course, which is, like I mentioned before, classical orientated.

How bout teachers? Resources? Education? Etcetera?
I'd choose UK for the plain and simple fact that the US is a basket case right now. I hate living here as it is, I would never deliberately subject myself to life in this crappy ass country. Stuff here just sucks in general. People in the UK may not give the UK very good reviews, but hell, I'd rather live in a cloudy ass country loaded with chavs than continue living here.

EDIT: Also, in the UK you'll be much closer to all the different countries in Europe. That will make it much easier to gather musical influences and really study the music of other cultures. If you come to the US, you've got Canada and Mexico. The US has absorbed/bastardized so much of Mexican culture that there wouldn't be much left to study if you visited Mexico, and last I checked (no offense to Canada), there weren't any distinct cultural sounds coming out of our buddy to the North.
Last edited by madbasslover at May 14, 2008,
Quote by madbasslover
I'd choose UK for the plain and simple fact that the US is a basket case right now. I hate living here as it is, I would never deliberately subject myself to life in this crappy ass country. Stuff here just sucks in general. People in the UK may not give the UK very good reviews, but hell, I'd rather live in a cloudy ass country loaded with chavs than continue living here.

EDIT: Also, in the UK you'll be much closer to all the different countries in Europe. That will make it much easier to gather musical influences and really study the music of other cultures. If you come to the US, you've got Canada and Mexico. The US has absorbed/bastardized so much of Mexican culture that there wouldn't be much left to study if you visited Mexico, and last I checked (no offense to Canada), there weren't any distinct cultural sounds coming out of our buddy to the North.

+1.

But if you do come to the UK, avoid Coventry, and the chav centrals.
It's just commons sense really.
Guildford ACM is always a good shout in England.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.