So ive decided im sellin my valveking and buy the rig that ill hopefully use for a long time now. Ive already got a confrimation from my local guitar shop to buy my VK for 400, which i think is pretty decent for it. So im buying a cab and a head. The cab is gonna be a 2x12 avatar, or any other good 2x12 that anybody has an opinion on. While the head im looking at either the 5150/6505 or the Carvin v3. Im also looking for other opinions on other heads i should look into. I nead an amp that can get some heavy gain, while sounding full and not thin. Which is why i really didnt like the VK. I play in a metal band with a little hardcore thrown into it. So i kinda need the low end chugs. I play rhythym in my band also. I also want the amp to last me a long time as this might be my final amp for a long long time. Im willing to spend around 600 pushing 700 at the most, but mostly around 600. Im also buying used to maximize my options. Also what are you opinions on the 5150/6505 and the v3? Thanks.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Bugeras? xD
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
go for the carvin. awesome amp head, the quality on everything carvin makes is flawless. just run an od pedal through it and you can go from jazz/blues/classic rock to hard rock/metal in no time.
my friend has one and plays death metal/black metal without any problems
Ya, i was origionally dead set on the 5150 but i ran across the v3 and i read good things about it. So i wanted to check up on that. also on a side note would a 1x12 be alright for gigging, just because im incredibly cheap. But if not never mind then.
Quote by yocomobebes
Ya, i was origionally dead set on the 5150 but i ran across the v3 and i read good things about it. So i wanted to check up on that. also on a side note would a 1x12 be alright for gigging, just because im incredibly cheap. But if not never mind then.

Give one a try and see what you think, i havent gotten ahold of one yet. Just heard sound clips.

1x12 is a stretch, 2 wont really make it louder but it will move more air. And my main concern is your head will be 120 or 100 watts and more then likely you will go with a Vintage 30 so 60 watts peak. And with the amp cranked at gigging levels you run the risk of blowing it. Vs 2 x 12's your pretty much good to go.
Ya that was what i was afraid of. Problem is though for the v3 is that i cant find any place to try it out at. ive just heard sound clips and fourm opinions. ill most likely go for the 5150 but i was just broadening what else was out there. also seeing as the 5150 is the same thing as the 6505 i was wondering which one just seemed to have more oomph to it? also is their any other amp out there to check out maybe?
Quote by yocomobebes
Ya that was what i was afraid of. Problem is though for the v3 is that i cant find any place to try it out at. ive just heard sound clips and fourm opinions. ill most likely go for the 5150 but i was just broadening what else was out there. also seeing as the 5150 is the same thing as the 6505 i was wondering which one just seemed to have more oomph to it? also is their any other amp out
there to check out maybe?

I have a buddy that has been playing metal and giging for like 18 years now. And swears by the 6505 over the 5150. And he loves older amps but from his first hand impressions the 6505 is a bit meatier. I have played both as well and there pretty much spot on but i also rather the 6505 it sounded more meatier as well. What im thinking is any 6505 is usually new and in the store. The 5150 of coarse are old and no telling what tubes or how old the tubes are that are in the beast. So that is my thoery on why the 6505 sounds better.

I was going to buy a 5150 but figured by the time i purcahsed new tubes i just as soon get a new one... And also dont have to deal with the whole man i should have gotten the 6505 because it sounded better delimma.
IMO the 6505 and 5150 sound exactly the same.
for a cab, get a vader 2x12
very tight and punchy for the chugs
plus they are much more sturdy and more durable than avatars.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Well when i end up getting the head i plan on replacing the tubes as soon as possible just as a percaution. Dude i would get a vader but their so expensive from what i remember looking at them.
Theres still a big debate on the 5150 vs 6505 due to parts availablity over the years and which amp has the better parts. But for the most part there exactly the same only a very small difference was ever heard by me. And that like i said was probally due to the tubes being older.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Theres still a big debate on the 5150 vs 6505 due to parts availablity over the years and which amp has the better parts. But for the most part there exactly the same only a very small difference was ever heard by me. And that like i said was probally due to the tubes being older.

Block letter 5150's shipped with superior tubes than Script logo 5150's or 6505's. That's the only thing I can remember.
at that budget other amps I would look at are a engl thunger and mesa boogie f-50 but if you could stretch it to say 800 try out a mesa boogie single fectifier.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name