http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ovation-Celebrity-SE-Deluxe-Mid-Depth-Bowl-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516738

so there it is, im lookin to buy it in the natural color but before i do id like to see if anyone has any opinions on it, ovation or other acoustics i should look at. im lookin to spend roughly the sale price on the guitar, give or take a little. so UG, opinions?
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
As an Ovation owner myself, I personally think you can do better with the price given, especially considering that Celebrity is a low-end lineup for Ovation.

If you're going to get an Asian-made guitar (which the Celebrity is), you might want to check out Blueridge, Guild GAD or Epiphone Masterbilt. But at the end of the day, you need to play each of these and determine for yourself what sounds best for YOU.
I personally would never buy an ovation, although i did consider it at one point. theres a few things you should note before buying an ovation:
- since the back is made of a composite material, it slips off your leg quite easily when played sitting down(that's the main reason i didnt buy it. why buy something that's not comfortable to play sitting down? i play sitting down more than anything)
- a rounded back guitar and a rounded belly do not go well together, haha
- the sound of an ovation unplugged is usually not very pleasant. plugged in, it's wonderful
- quality is sometimes suspect on low end ovations

on a good note, however...
- some people really like the ovation sound(im not a fan, but i think it's alright if that's what you're after)
- ovations usually have quite a slim neck that some people like.
- they look pretty cool sometimes

SO... make sure you play one for maybe a good hour or two before you buy one. I played my Martin about 5 hours before i bought it.
something i didnt like about the celebrities is that string tension was ridiculouse
very tense
Quote by captivate

- since the back is made of a composite material, it slips off your leg quite easily when played sitting down(that's the main reason i didnt buy it. why buy something that's not comfortable to play sitting down? i play sitting down more than anything)

Personally, I find the opposite to be true. I've never had a problem with an Ovation slipping off while sitting down. The recent models (including mine) have a "rougher" finish at the bottom side, so as to create additional friction with the leg and stabilize the guitar. (It may be a good idea to wear pants when you play sitting down, otherwise the surface might make your bare skin a bit itchy. )

It's when I STAND UP and play (which I often do for my church band on Sundays) that I have this problem. Thanks to the strap, it will never "slip off" per se, but as the round back slides down against my stomach the soundboard has a tendency to tilt a bit towards my face. To compensate for that, I have to bend my wrist towards my body a bit more, which can be a bit uncomfortable -- especially when playing barre chords.
Quote by TokyoNeko
Personally, I find the opposite to be true. I've never had a problem with an Ovation slipping off while sitting down. The recent models (including mine) have a "rougher" finish at the bottom side, so as to create additional friction with the leg and stabilize the guitar. (It may be a good idea to wear pants when you play sitting down, otherwise the surface might make your bare skin a bit itchy. )

It's when I STAND UP and play (which I often do for my church band on Sundays) that I have this problem. Thanks to the strap, it will never "slip off" per se, but as the round back slides down against my stomach the soundboard has a tendency to tilt a bit towards my face. To compensate for that, I have to bend my wrist towards my body a bit more, which can be a bit uncomfortable -- especially when playing barre chords.

haha, to each his own.

anyway, i was wearing jeans and it still slipped off. quite annoying to me =/ i was sitting on one of those stools though, so that might be why it slipped off so easily.

also, yea. i can see the problem that you encounter when standing up. i think its mainly because most people rest their elbow/arm against the top of the guitar when they play. in the case of an ovation with a rounded back, that's definitely bound to make it tilt.
thanks all for the replies, appreciate it...
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.