first of all, me and my lead guitarist are doing a collaboration with a full 6 person metal band.
ok, so we've written this kickass song, firewind-like song, and we wanna record it, only problem is, everytime all the guitarists get together to record, our mics decide to die on us.
i've suggested that only 2 of the 4 guitarists record at a time, but no, nobody wants to listen to me, of course.
so, 8 mics later....what should we do UG? the other 3 guitarists said that if UG says to record 2 guitars instead of 4 at the same time, then they'll do that, and that they will call me the "King".
so, UG?
wow 4 guitarists....

mate i gotta hear this when ur done.

Do what you say KING
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by djmay71
first of all, me and my lead guitarist are doing a collaboration with a full 6 person metal band.
ok, so we've written this kickass song, firewind-like song, and we wanna record it, only problem is, everytime all the guitarists get together to record, our mics decide to die on us.
i've suggested that only 2 of the 4 guitarists record at a time, but no, nobody wants to listen to me, of course.
so, 8 mics later....what should we do UG? the other 3 guitarists said that if UG says to record 2 guitars instead of 4 at the same time, then they'll do that, and that they will call me the "King".
so, UG?

Hmm...are the guys using heads and cabinets? You could try DI boxes for speaker outputs (Radial JDX/Behringer GI-100, the active Tapco model, Whirlwind Director Deluxe/Behringer DI600P) to record the sound...those are more reliable and consistent than microphones, and don't suffer from bleed. Also, are you sure it's not the cable's fault? A cable tester (Behringer makes a reliable one for very cheap) could simplify recording matters.

Another idea is to record the playing anyway through DI boxes (or a single Whirlwind Hotbox Quad, or two Pro D2s) so the clean tracks are saved to a computer. Then use the output from the computer through a reamp (Radial makes a passive one for $100) to the appropriate guitar amp, and record that using your "trusty" microphones. You can then record the actual track one at a time so no bleed occurs and the tone is perfected, yet every player played together when it mattered. You won't be king, you will be Divine Ruler.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at May 14, 2008,
Do what you say.

'King'
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic