alright so im starting a project where im making an EVH frankenstein and ill be painting soon.

what ive noticed from the replicas that ive seen in stores is that the paint does not seem to be glossy at all, like it seems a matte paint was used instead of gloss.

my question basically is when i buy paint for this, should i get gloss paint, or get matte paint?

also, if i should get gloss, what do i need to go to give it that worn matte look?

thanks
NOPE
if you're going gloss, the eaasy way to give it that matte look is sandpaper.

the best way:

Play it until it goes matte.

or, you can just buy matte clear in bomb cans.
------

Shwiggity.
the actual paint you buy is not matte at all really. It depends on the type of clear coat you spray over the paint, if you want a shiny finish you get a gloss coat, if you want matte, you buy a matte clear.
Quote by Bass-man43
the actual paint you buy is not matte at all really. It depends on the type of clear coat you spray over the paint, if you want a shiny finish you get a gloss coat, if you want matte, you buy a matte clear.

^ not true, you can buy matte paints.

matte clear will, however, add to the matte-ness.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie

Quite true, you can buy matte paints, but if you give it a glossy clear, it's gloss.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Quote by deftonesordie

sorry for being rude with this but:

BOLLOCKS! it's the last few coats not the paint over wise i should of gotten a satin black guitar. but nope. I got a gloss. now it's Matte because I decided if I couldn't get a satin finish I'd rather have Matte. Hope you all remember about the buffing at the end too. Matte is all the sanding plus something to remomve as much of the scratches as possible and a gloss is sanding then polishing compounds.

All I'm going to say. Don't use plasti-kote paints. go with car paint at then you can buff to a Gloss finish if you want to.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
my bad on the non matte paint things:P My dad paints my guitars and hes been doing it for 20 years he uses auto paint and he said with that you use a satin clear.