Im lookin for some more jazz standards to improv over, ive just worked through autumn leaves, so what, and im about to dive into satin doll and all the things you are

im looking for pieces similar to autumn leaves, ie, structured jazz of some sort, im lookin to hone my arpeggiating chord changes skills, any suggestions appreciated
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
definitely, thats all my teacher and i have been doing, is finding all root combos all over the neck, just running through the chords, and then running arpeggios and whatnot through all possibilities
Quote by beadhangingOne
Just pick up a Real Book and play to your heart's content.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
learn your major 7, minor 7, dominant 7, and m7b5 inversions all over the neck, and learn how to quickly turn them into 9th chords, etc

that will make comping easier.

why don't you try "Out Of Nowhere" it's cool.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Quote by Zeppelin256
Just pick up a Real Book and play to your heart's content.

oh i have it, ive done all those chords mentioned before too, im just looking to put my knowledge to use now
Quote by beadhangingOne
Get Aebersold's volume 54, meant to be easy standards. Or just get a real book and scroll through and find something with easy changes. The analysis will be good practice too.
yeah, the real book. it's amazing.

good standard songs are like, Take the A train, Take Five, Straight No Chaser, manteca,

learn the riff from a "sunny moonlit walk for two" to blues, look up miles davis' album "kind of blue", it's amazing.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
You wanted a standard that is 'like Autumn Leaves'..
Try 'Beautiful Love'
Hear Jim Hall play it on YouTube too.
It's not difficult, but it doesn't have a middle eight bars, like most standards.

It's cool how it leaves you thinking there's a 'middle eight' to come but then nothng happens!

It's in a minor key, so easy-peasey'
Sort of..

Regards
J
Quote by Guitar_Theory
I have The Real Book volumes 1, 2 and 3. All of them are amazing.

Abersold Vol. 54 is great if you're just starting out too. Excellent suggestion.

It even comes with a nice backing track of Jamey Aebersold comping for you.
Last edited by confusius at May 17, 2008,
Quote by coffeeguy9
Oleo!

You're gonna tell someone who's just starting off with Autumn Leaves to have a go at Oleo? I'm sure you know Oleo is one of the tunes based on rhythm changes. Certainly isn't a bad idea to get familiar with those, but a bit advanced, don't you think?

Quote by confusius
It even comes with a nice backing track of Jamie Aebersold comping for you.

Jamey*
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I quite like Have You Met Miss Jones and Take Five.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by coffeeguy9
Oleo!

I've been living jazz for 5 years and still can have trouble soloing over a tune like Oleo. I doubt someone who just play autumn leaves is gonna want to dive into that, it might be depressing :P Granted, the head of that tune is sweet.

And this is just my opinion, but I HATE Take Five. I think it's become such a stupidly cliche song. Have You Met Mrs. Jones is nice though, I did a solo chord-melody of that for my music school auditions.
i studied the work of cole porter & gershwin...

between these two there are alot of standards...and the melody/lyric lines are timeless...Love for Sale can be done in so many different flavors...as can .. Just One of Those Things

these tunes are not harmonically difficult but you can color them forever with voice leading and substitutions...

also...when you study just one composer...you get to feel/see how they approach melody/harmony...some changes will bring smiles...some awe.... enjoy

wolf
take a look at giant steps by john coltrane, if you really want to put your knowledge to the test, thats one that will get you.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by wolflen
i studied the work of cole porter & gershwin...

between these two there are alot of standards...and the melody/lyric lines are timeless...Love for Sale can be done in so many different flavors...as can .. Just One of Those Things

these tunes are not harmonically difficult but you can color them forever with voice leading and substitutions...

also...when you study just one composer...you get to feel/see how they approach melody/harmony...some changes will bring smiles...some awe.... enjoy

wolf

<3 Love for Sale. It can be done in so many ways.
take a look at giant steps by john coltrane, if you really want to put your knowledge to the test, thats one that will get you.

misty is good peice ive just learned
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War