Im finding that on my first couple of frets of the g/b/high e string even a little too much pressure can cause them to go out of tune when fingering them. , So would changing the nut/filing the string gap down help at all? The guitar's just been professionally set up so the action/neck/tension etc are all fine. Thanks in advance.
you can try lubing the cuts first. graphite pencil, or nut sauce.

either that, or stringing them better.

or making sure the bridge is balanced correctly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
That's very little to do with the nut. It's mostly touch.

If you feel the nut is too high though, sure, have it looked at. Convention is if you fret the third fret, there should just be barely enough daylight to be seen in between the string and the first fret.
Its just occured to me, would the fact that its a jumbo fret guitar be anything to do with this? Should I just try and lighten my touch a fair bit for those strings?
yeah, dont mash the frets. but it would be all frets. not just a couple of frets and strings.

when you said, going out of tune, i thought you meant the string. not a sharp note being played.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Sorry i should have made that more clear. I think my touch may be a big part of the problem, I've not played an electric for a couple of years, only acoustic so I guess Ive just got used to a heavy touch!
haha, yeah i did the same thing when i got my schecter a while back.

those problem frets might be a little high, so fret light and see how it goes.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62