I was thinking about using some of my bursary (which i'm not really going to need for university related purposes on a Yamaha RBX A2. I've always liked the RBX 774 which I was actually going to get instead of my Traben Phoenix at a point, and the A2 appears to be along the same lines of it.

Has anyone ever played one of these, and what do you think, should i buy it?

It also has this thing called "AIR" which is -

"Alternative Internal Resonance (A.I.R.) is a Yamaha exclusive construction technique. Offering the unique combination of an ultra lightweight wood core sandwiched between a hardwood top and a hardwood back, this combination allows the woods in the RBX4 A2 to vibrate freely and create a resonance and sustain that is much greater than the average guitar. The outstanding resonance is enhanced by special sound tubes, which connect the hardwoods with the softwood core across the instrument. "

I've never heard of this, but it sounds like it could give a really nice tone. What do you guys think?

Yamaha RBX A2
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
AIR...
sounds sorta mid heavy...

that's not a bad thing.
I doubt it increases sustain more than a full hardwood instrument. but I could be wrong.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
A mate of mine has the guitar model of that. I'm not too fussed on it, feels too plasticy, like a toy.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
It sounds like a gimmick.

What's wrong with all hardwood?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101

some people can't handle any weight because they're in need of some excercise. Like me. but I get in shape by playing heavy basses.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Nutter_101

I agree with Chris here. Sustain depends on so many factors, but my understanding that for better sustain the bridge construction plays more into the overall sustain than the wood or body construction.

I'd like to see Yamaha's scientific proof here.
Quote by the humanity
some people can't handle any weight because they're in need of some excercise. Like me. but I get in shape by playing heavy basses.

I'll have you know, I can handle plenty of weight, I have a Traben Phoenix, which is covered with metal! I really like the RBX just because it is pure sexy like. And, the technology which they claim to have sounds interesting to me. It has possibilitys of being dreamy.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
wasn't trying to insult you. I just don't like people who consider lack of weight an asset in a bass. it feels weird.

only problem with my bass- it is too light.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
wasn't trying to insult you. I just don't like people who consider lack of weight an asset in a bass. it feels weird.

only problem with my bass- it is too light.

Nah, i wasn't insulted. I'm all for this weight = tone business, but i've read reviews on the RBX A2 and apparently the resonance on it is crazy, even though it's designed to be lighter.
biggest problem with the internet- you can't tell vocal tones. also...

"Just a quick word of advice. Never trust the reviews on the sites that are trying to sell you the product. Bad (i.e. critical) reviews are likely to be deleted, and most people reviewing will still be in the "OMG new toy!" mindset, and be unable to critsize the product properly."
-gm jack

that's how the cool kids quote!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Well, i went down to a guitar shop earlier and they had a black one in stock, and i loved it! I'm going to work out my finances tomorrow and then go down and order a white one, I think.
Hi
My first time here.
I'm owner of an RGX A2, and I'm considering to buy the RBX A2 too .
Of course I ve already tested it for more than an hour in a shop and with different ampli.
In my opinion they are excellent instruments, with good and very aggressive sound, an infinite sustain, I think due to the string-through bridge.
Again, both are easy to play and to set up, accurate in tuning, very solid, despite their apparence.
Last but not least, really few expensive .
Of course, both have an unique "voice", someone will love, someone else not .
In particular, the bass sounds brighter than common rock-oriented basses, "nervous", quite like a whiplash, created to dominate in a mix .
perfect for me (industrial metal ), but I presume not very flexible.
my only problem with that instruments, is... just the look .
The "mac style" makes me a little... cold.
It can be a problem, if you are looking for a perfect feeling with your axe .
I really want to give this bass a try, but I can't find them anywhere! =[
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Bass Player did a review on it - you should check their website.

However, what the hell is it with companies making sure they advertise "designed in California"? This bass, iPods, and some other gear I've seen... who gives a shit where it's designed? Would something designed in Michigan automatically be crap? Or New York? Washington? Or are they trying to seem young, hip, and urban, by hawking the fact that the product was (merely) designed in that place that's all over TV and in all those Chilli Pepper songs?

I'm pretty sure a toilet seat was designed in the States, but a crappy Chinese made (not designed) one that breaks and pinches your ass isn't very good. 95% of what matters is where the product is MADE, not designed. The top engineers in any country are fantastic. Any state, too.

Wow, don't know why I ranted like that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
updates...

the RBX a2 has come to daddy . I ve replaced strings with cocco nickel 45-105.
I'm really satisfied. Bright and deep at the same time, rich ad aggressive. Yhea, satisfied .

ok, it still looks like an I pod with a neck... but... don't sounds like an I pod , and I think that is the only important .
I assume you're going into the 2nd year of uni, and therefore living in private sector accomodation?

As a just finished 2nd year student, I sincerely recommend waiting until later on in the year before considering purchasing a bass, so you have a better idea of your finances. I had a heart attack when I found out how much it costs for bills, food, rent... everything. I spent my bursary on a 360, and felt the pinch pretty bad.

Unless you have a job, in which case,m do whatever you want.