...and I'm not really diggin the way the distortion sounds. I've tried loads of high end tube amps, and I find they all have this kind of buzzing characteristic with high gain. I decided on the single rec because it was pretty much the best bang for the buck especially used for about 850. I don't know what I need to get, an eq? compressor? overdrive pedal? But to me this buzzing sound in the distortion really sounds like crap and I never hear it in recordings with rectifiers... :\
I'm guessing this is your first tube amp? Tubes, especially high- gain ones, have a lot more white nose and are more prone to feedback than SS amps. The reason you don't hear anything in recordings is thanks to the magic of editing.
Yes this is my first tube amp but like I said I've been shopping for a while. I've tried Engl Powerball, Bogner Ubershall, Marshall JCM2000, Mesa Triple Rec, Randall MTS, Orange, Peavey JSX and 6505, Krank..ect. They all have the buzzing but it's pretty annoying with this amp. I'm wondering if there is some type of pedal I can buy to lessen the buzzing (not talking feekback or hum, the distortion itself).
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
Yes is my first tube amp but like I said I've been shopping for a while. I've tried Engl Powerball, Bogner Ubershall, Marshall JCM2000, Mesa Triple Rec, Randall MTS, Orange, Peavey JSX and 6505..ect. They all have the buzzing but it's pretty annoying with this amp. I'm wondering if there is some type of pedal I can buy to lessen the buzzing (not talking feekback or hum, the distortion itself).

So you're talking about your tone itself? Could you elaborate some more? Like, is it just general fizziness with your tone, like it's not fat enough, or do you have too much gain, or what?
Basically the tone is not smooth, it's like a buzzsaw. I've been messing with the eq,gain,ect and changing guitars but that's not really doing anything. I'll try to find some examples on youtube of what I'm talking about.
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
Basically the tone is not smooth, it's like a buzzsaw. I've been messing with the eq,gain,ect and changing guitars but that's not really doing anything. I'll try to find some examples on youtube of what I'm talking about.

Sounds like pulling a Kerry King and getting an EQ with heavily boosted mids would help. Also, you might want to mess around with turning the volume/ tone knobs on your guitar down.
You could try out some new tubes? I find my JSX sounded SO much better, and so much less buzzy after a full retube.
Quote by the-patient
You could try out some new tubes? I find my JSX sounded SO much better, and so much less buzzy after a full retube.

I feel stupid for not realizing this, I actually started a thread for a similar problem with my F30 and got this answer. Are the stock power tubes still in your amp?
I don't know how old the tubes are, but I checked and they aren't the stock mesa ones. The guy shipped it with a brand new extra set of Groove Tube 6L6's, so I might try that out at some point. I did just try turning the tone down on my guitar and it definitely helped, which tells me I probably need an eq of some kind.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I don't like the tubes Mesas ship with. Might be part of the problem.

It have groove tubes in it now. Don't know how old they are.
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE

Gross. Try some JJ's in the preamp, Tung-Sol's in the poweramp. Or post in the tube thread, they (Colin) are smarter than me.
It came with an extra set of groove tubes new in box so I might try those before getting a full re-tube. I just ordered an MXR 10-band graphic eq from musiciansfriend so hopefully that will hold me over till I can get an overdrive and some other stuff.
I think you should got a Mark IV for the money you bought that amp for... that just me. But hey if you like it, who cares
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
You could get an EQ pedal and cut everything around 10k-12k and up. Thats what I do when I record my Single Rec. I record it and add a LoPass filter around 10k-12k. It gets rid of most of those real harsh "chainsaw" like frequencies.
Check Out:Stack Of Noises
My SoundClick

Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Rectoverb
American Fender Limited Edition
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Professional Rhoads EX EMGs
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
Sounds to me like you just bought the amp without even trying it. Not a good idea.

I think the problem is that you're probably playing it low on volume. Rectos suffer from sounding like crap at low volumes, you have to turn them up to get them to sound good.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
if its a loud buzzing try a isp decimator. does a great job suppressing high gain tube amp buzz.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sounds to me like you just bought the amp without even trying it. Not a good idea.

I think the problem is that you're probably playing it low on volume. Rectos suffer from sounding like crap at low volumes, you have to turn them up to get them to sound good.

i agree. crank that output and bask in the glory of the single recto. also, i know you said you played around with the onboard eq and gain, but go to the mesa website, DL the manual, and read about the eq. it wasn't so intuitive for me, maybe the same holds true for you?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
I also suggest rolling back the Treble and using the presence dial for your high end frequencies. IMO, Mesa Rectifiers have bad sounding preamps. Putting JJ ECC83s preamp tubes in it will help darker and smooth out your tone.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by the-patient

Was just thinking that. Could look into Groove Tubes. Believe they do a pretty good job with making tubes with a lot less extra noise.

[EDIT]:
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE

aaaand here is why you read the whole thread first. Ignore my answer then.
Last edited by FEDS-91 at May 15, 2008,
TS, have you tried cranking the amp? The distortion on a lot of amps I've played sounds fizzy until it's turned up pretty good.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
You should also eq your amp at high volume levels, not at quiet levels.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Gross. Try some JJ's in the preamp, Tung-Sol's in the poweramp. Or post in the tube thread, they (Colin) are smarter than me.

More like Tung-Sol in preamp and JJ in poweramp
Quote by Horlicks
More like Tung-Sol in preamp and JJ in poweramp

yeah that's what i have... JJ's in the power, a Tung-Sol reissue in V1, a high gain JJ ECC83S in V2 and V3, then a 9th gen Shuguang 12AX7C in V4 and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the V5/phase inverter.
Gear:
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Boss MT-2
Quote by soundnin
yeah that's what i have... JJ's in the power, a Tung-Sol reissue in V1, a high gain JJ ECC83S in V2 and V3, then a 9th gen Shuguang 12AX7C in V4 and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the V5/phase inverter.

looks like Doug's recipe
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
looks like Doug's recipe

haha 100% on the dot.
Gear:
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Boss MT-2
Something else you might want to consider...

Lower the "master" volume on the distortion channel, and push your volume with the amp's master volume (I think it is labeled "Output" on the Single). When I first got my Mesa, I did the opposite (high channel master), and I never really liked the sound when it was setup that way.... I enjoyed it much more putting the channel at like ~10:30 (o-clock), and then using the amp's master volume to get the volume/output I wanted.

Just a thought...
rectos are a pain in the arse to dial in, and that buzzy distortion is just one of the characteristic of em, besides the mushy bass.

you wont get your ideal tone from a few days of just getting the amp.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone. Basically from what I've gathered these are the thing's I could do to get good tone out of this amp:

Retube w/ JJ's and various preamp tubes,
EQ pedal cutting 10k-12k,
Crank the output and use the master vol,
noise gate (was already looking at the isp decimator, it's in my wishlist on MF),
roll back the treble and use presence,
some type of overdrive?

And for the record no I couldn't actually try this amp before I bought it because it was ebay item but I did plug into an triple rec so I had a pretty good idea of what it would sound like.
Preamp distortion is buzzy. There isn't much you can do about it; other than getting that gain from the poweramp instead.
they take forever to dial in, I have had my recto for months and i think i have finally found my tone the other day. And preamp tubes could be causing the buzzing.
Try turning it up. On recordings the amps are cranked to really high levels to get power tube saturation, which would warrant less gain, and make it sound a helluva clearer. If that doesn't work, try a Tubescreamer to tighten it up and add a little compression. Lots of Recto users do that.

I'm not fond of Rectifiers myself though, I feel the DC and Mark series are waaay nice, and about the same price, if not cheaper, used. Got my DC for 720 shipped, and it can do anything from jazz (yea, i've finally gotten a jazz sound out of it) to brutal metal (ie Meshuggah, seeing as they used the .50 Cal, which is basically the DC with shared EQs).
Quote by MatrixClaw

True at the low volume part,

also people have said it takes time to get used to your mesa amp and to figure out the sweet spots where to dial them in. All in all they're a great amp for nearly anything, a ton of metal bands use recto's as much or more pop punk bands these days use recto's too. Just get used to your settings, you'll love it.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
It sounds like you might want to retube it. Just get your serial # and e-mail the guys a Mesa and they will tell you how old the amp is. I bet the preamp has the original set of tubes in it and they probably need to be replaced. But personally I love the distortion and always thought that the raw chainsaw sound is what the rectifier series was supposed to be about (ex) Seether and Smile Empty Soul. If you want smoother just e-mail one of those tube sites and they will give you suggestions and if that doesn't work try to get one of the Mark series amps.