Is there anything wrong with doing a neck thru like this? This middle lamb is cut in 1/2 b/c I cannot find another neck thru piece so I am putting one together? is this detrimental to the guitar even if the two are well put together?
Attachments:
neck.JPG
On a neck, or guitar body.. Really ANYTHING in general, you never want to glue end grain together, it will just end in tragedy.

Josh
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
NEVER EVER EVER glue end grain together EVER it will end in fail, some words will be exchanged and feelings will be hurt, and youll have a broken guitar to boot.
you can glue end grain together quite well if you know what your doing. as good/better than any other joint, just a different method that not many know about.

you would also have to scarf joint that middle lam.
You could scarf it, but it could possibly lose some length.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Quote by bob farrell
If you scarf it it will be fine. But I don't know if it will gain any significant strength, and if it does, it really wont matter. If it were me though, I'd get a bigger lam.
Quote by LP Addict
if its scarfed properly, it will only gain strength. alot of strength.

I said length.

Also, I think if you're leaving it natural then just find a long enough piece, the back of the neck wouldn't look so great with a scarf line in there.. :\
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Quote by bob farrell
^ +1 on the scarf. butt joining the end grain is a big no-no but scarfing it like a guitar neck would work quite well and you'd actually cover the glue line a little better
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by LP Addict
if its scarfed properly, it will only gain strength. alot of strength.

+1

If anything, scarf it. Work out how it will affect the full guitar though.. like someone else suggested, you might be able to work the scarf up towards the headstock, so it's no different to the kind of scarf that's in most necks.
The reason You'll have trouble glueing end grain joints is because the wood on the end grain sucks up glue, away from the surface of the joint and into the wood. I can't remember exactly, but i think you can coat the end grain in glue or something and let it dry, to seal it before you glue the joint itself, It might be a good idea to ask on a woodworking forum, you'll be talking to folk who will actually know what they're talking about - unlike myself.
Quote by jimRH7
The reason You'll have trouble glueing end grain joints is because the wood on the end grain sucks up glue, away from the surface of the joint and into the wood. I can't remember exactly, but i think you can coat the end grain in glue or something and let it dry, to seal it before you glue the joint itself, It might be a good idea to ask on a woodworking forum, you'll be talking to folk who will actually know what they're talking about - unlike myself.

+1

I can hazard a guess at this stuff, but I wuouldn't trust myself to give serious advice.

If you can't get a definite answer, I suggest buying another splice, just for the sake of being safe.
you seal it with clear epoxy, after its perfectly planed. epoxy runs into the pores of the wood like no other glue, and it only takes 5 minutes to set, once it tacs, scrape it all off, give it a light sand with 400 or something, then glue it up.
what if the glue line is exactly where a pickup rout will take place? ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
if you have a scarf joint and the glue line is where your pickup routing will take place you wont have a visible line on top because there'll be a hole there with a pickup in it

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
if you have a scarf joint and the glue line is where your pickup routing will take place you wont have a visible line on top because there'll be a hole there with a pickup in it

You'll also lose LOADS of strength, surely?
Yeah... lol THATS a good idea! Lets route a hole in the glue joint!! Just buy another piece of wood... ****.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
it depends on the angle of the scarf joint... the longer the scarf, the more surface area you'll still have when you glue the pieces together. also, remember that he's going to be sandwiching wood to either side of the glued pieces... also, a guitar body is 1 3/4" thick and a pickup rout only has to be 5/8" in the middle. If the glue line were at a point before the 2 clearance routs for the mounting you'd really only rout away like 1/4" of the scarf

and just to clarify a little more... here's a CAD layout

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
it depends on the angle of the scarf joint... the longer the scarf, the more surface area you'll still have when you glue the pieces together. also, remember that he's going to be sandwiching wood to either side of the glued pieces... also, a guitar body is 1 3/4" thick and a pickup rout only has to be 5/8" in the middle. If the glue line were at a point before the 2 clearance routs for the mounting you'd really only rout away like 1/4" of the scarf

and just to clarify a little more... here's a CAD layout

Actually, you have a point. Sorry dude!
no problemo

Quote by ESP_Shreder
so..... scarf closer to body or to headstock?

If it was me... I would say closer to the body - Whenever you see a damaged guitar, it's usually the headstock that breaks, if the joint is covered each side by the wings, that'll make it stronger.

I wouldn't worry about the strength of it - If you think about it, a glued in neck joint is probably weaker than the joint you're going to make.

Someone mentioned dowell jointing it aswell, i think? that's a good idea in my oppinion.
Quote by jimRH7
If it was me... I would say closer to the body - Whenever you see a damaged guitar, it's usually the headstock that breaks, if the joint is covered each side by the wings, that'll make it stronger.

I wouldn't worry about the strength of it - If you think about it, a glued in neck joint is probably weaker than the joint you're going to make.

Someone mentioned dowell jointing it aswell, i think? that's a good idea in my oppinion.

Dude, he's already finished the neck.

Get with the programme.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
Is there anything wrong with doing a neck thru like this? This middle lamb is cut in 1/2 b/c I cannot find another neck thru piece so I am putting one together? is this detrimental to the guitar even if the two are well put together?

you could angle the ends that meet each other at 45 to 60 degrees so you are getting a better surface. still not as good as a whole piece but better than end to end gluing.
Thank you please.