I was changing my strings and I wanted to know how an EMG 85 would sound in the bridge. So I removed all my strings then I swapped my pickups. After putting new strings I started to play.

At the beginning I was like : Wow Its fking nice but after 5 min i just realize that I wasnt even able to do pinch harmonics on high notes (like 17 of my B string) on both pickups. On the low notes I can but it doesnt sound really good sometimes the sound cuts then its fine then it cuts again.

Then my high E string was starting to sound weird. I mean sometimes there was a small sound like if my pickup wasnt working. And on the high E string some note were sounding the same (ex: the 15th fret sounded like the 16 one).
All those things I tried with my 81 my 85 and both.

Now I think Im gonna swap my pickups back to 81 in the bridge and my 85 in the neck but before I was wondering what happened???
Whyyyy

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
i think its because the EMG 85 has a lower output than the 81 but maybe the battery needs to be replaced?
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
maybe the battery needs to be replaced?

nope the sound was fine before... and I have my guitar since march 08... but ill try...
Hm... ****ed you guitar? Did you use protection? =p
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by Lucky#Slevin
Hm... ****ed you guitar? Did you use protection? =p

funny

I was wondering if anyone could show me a pic of their guitar with EMG to see if somthing is wrong...
sounds like your solder joints wern't good enough, check that
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
i think its because the EMG 85 has a lower output than the 81 but maybe the battery needs to be replaced?

Actually the 85 has a higher output, check the website, but yea like others have said it must be the battery or the solders, because i know of many people who use the 85 in the bridge such as adam d of killswitch engage who has kickin pinch harmonics, so i doubt your crappy sound is just because the 85 is in the bridge, there must be somethin goin down.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
It's not the pickup. I will bet a USA Jackson it's not. You said you took off all the strings. Was it a Floyd? You likely screwed up your setup. Pinch harmonics have NOTHING to do with the pickup. I know this form experience. It's all about the guitar's construction and setup.
it's not the output, that's for sure. the 85 has a bit more output than the 81, which i noticed is why it's noticeably louder when the neck pickup is selected.

i'm gonna have to go with the setup. try adjusting the pickup and string heights, etc.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
It could be the setup - I doubt it would be the solder joints and such, aren't EMGs Quik-Connect?
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Did you take everything out or just do the quick wire things?

Because if you took it all out for some reason you may have buggered some soldering up.

Even if that wasn't it check it out anyway, could be your jack.
The notes sounding the same is a neck issue. It's probable that the neck is warped.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The notes sounding the same is a neck issue. It's probable that the neck is warped.

Doubtful too. Necks don't warp over night. I had a project I left the neck off for months and only needed minor adjustment to be playable.
Quote by CJRocker
Doubtful too. Necks don't warp over night. I had a project I left the neck off for months and only needed minor adjustment to be playable.

Depends on where you live. If the temp. fluctuates enough it can...

if he has a floyd though, that could be it.... good call....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.