I like harmonic minor scales... They can be really nasty sounding, but you're going to get more "darkness" or whatnot by phrasing. EX: If you use the right phrasing it's easy to make a minor scale sound major. If you phrase almost any scale right you can do whatever with it, some are harder than other though!
Nothing's more evil than the Locrian scale.

usually when you want a scale that's darker you'd choose a scale with more flats in it.
Quote by PanHead
Nothing's more evil than the Locrian scale.

usually when you want a scale that's darker you'd choose a scale with more flats in it.

+1 to Locrian.

You literally cant get much darker/deeper than this scale considering it has 5 flats in it, the most out of any other form of scale.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
try playing using the chromatic scale, that can sound very evil and bizarre if you do it right. Also throw in some tritone intervals.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
try playing using the chromatic scale, that can sound very evil and bizarre if you do it right. Also throw in some tritone intervals.

+1

Play in whatever scale but put chromatic notes in there and do a chromatic line or two. I was having the same problem as you and that is what I did to help it out, besides watching Marty Friedman's Melodic Control.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
phyrogan ,,, think its spelt like that,,,take major scale and start from the 3rd interval (i think) and yu have it, used in metal a lot
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by Metalcoresoul
+1 to Locrian.

You literally cant get much darker/deeper than this scale considering it has 5 flats in it, the most out of any other form of scale.

Actually, the most flats is the altered scale, at 6 flats. It's the 7th mode of the melodic minor, meaning it has a b4th.. which is basically a major third, so it has what sounds like a major third and a minor third.. it's downright confusing.

Hit up the locrian, or Phrygian scales.
The rictor scale.
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Quote by Zangetsu 101
The rictor scale.

Do you mean the Richter scale? Try harder next time.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
eVIL in em
start at an E then follow with a B and a Bb...

i like a natural minor scale then throw some (half step drops) notes from a diminished scale in there.. and land on a 5b
Shut up and play your guitar!