well this my headache right now, im trying to do a song mainly a riff (i have the structure and the rythms) i have this mainly scales (yes i play metal):
Natural Minors, Harmonic Minors, Spanish Scale, Romanian Etc.
i have a question, how do i compose a song with scales, skipping strings? random notes? i know there is a root and a "Passing Note" (that one that you cant play as first or last note) i suppose there a way to know what note sounds good with another one
but how? is there something i must know? heres another, what i should do, create a riff based in the rythm or create first the riff and later the rhytm? i have many question of composing, is there a thread or something to help me out? thx in advance
PD: i have read the theory thread but doesnt seems to cover my questions
Id say take the scale and just jam out to it and see what you come up with, then add or take away notes to make it sound better. I also just hear something in my head then figure it out on guitar, and use trial and error to make it sound better. Either way dont get too caught up in the theory behind, let theory help you, but dont let i control what you come up with. In the end, trust your ear.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Learn your theory, or do more than you have...

You can take your root note and use its "perfect 4th and perfect 5th" between, or thirds sound pretty good too.

I'm just getting into theory myself after a long time of putting it off, so read up. I'm starting "the idiots guide to music theory" after my exam week, I've heard this book is great. I paid $7 on amazon new... Prob the cheapest best thing you can buy to make you play better.
Quote by nemjeff13
Id say take the scale and just jam out to it and see what you come up with, then add or take away notes to make it sound better. I also just hear something in my head then figure it out on guitar, and use trial and error to make it sound better. Either way dont get too caught up in the theory behind, let theory help you, but dont let i control what you come up with. In the end, trust your ear.

Can I express how jealous I am you live in woodstock.... My dad band recorded at Levon Helms studio last summer... damn was that fun.... Even got to meet Levon
I don't quite get the "Composing with theory" title...that implies that "composing" with theory is somehow different from just "composing".

It's not, it's exactly the same, you still experiment and play around with ideas, knowing you theory just means you've got a better idea of how everything sounds and fits together. If you're struggling to know what sounds good then arguably you don't know really know any theory. Start at the beginning - learn the notes on the fretboard, learn the major scale and learn how to recognise intervals and become familiar with their tonal characteristics.

I bet you'll never find a thread on ultimate-painting.com titled "Painting if I know what colour I get when I mix other colours together?". Artists of any type will never make that kind of distinction, which is effectively asking "How do I create something if I know more about the thing I'm creating with" - it's a ludicrous statement when you look at it. Guitar seem to be the only form of creative expression where people struggle to understand how learning more can help them ,and some even actively discourage the pursuit of knowledge as if it's somehow going to "inhibit" their creativitym which is again ludicrous.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com