Well. I have gone to another store and I saw a Crate VTX212B. It was a good amp with lots of features, more than the Valveking. However, it was ss, which makes me doubt the headroom. It was also about $100 cheaper than the VK. It has a shape knob, which made more of a difference in tone than the VK's A-A/B knob. It had a nice powerful feeling, but looking back it maybe felt a little digital.

I tried out the Valveking a while back, and like people have said, it WAS muddy. It has less features, but it is tube. It's also availible in 112.

I don't want to get either amp and in a while think that the tone sucks. I want the best bang for my buck. I play thrash/speed metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium, Testament). I play my Jackson KVX10 through a Peavey Rage 158, but I use a Digitech RP200 for effects. I could also use the money I have saved up to get some more pedals that I want. What would you buy/do?
Do you NEED the 50W? Trust me if you're just an at home player you don't need it, I have a 50w VK. Theres plenty of small tube amps that are great, + cheaper.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Vk can handle Thrash very well, i just ventured down that road because i coudlnt get it to do modern stuff. Which is what i purchased it for, was trying to turn it into a make shift 5150 which it is not lol. So i was actually going to sell it before i decided to give it one last shot and it surprised me. The thing can really ring out some metallica tones and keep up with speed metal. You just need a preamp tube change and speaker change thats the only down fall.

And there is no substitution for for tubes... I wouldnt go with an SS especially for thrash, you need that bit of warmth in there or it will just sound like Static X Playing Master of Puppets.
id say get the valveking.... plus, after a while, you can run a better head through it and you wont need a seperate cab. and for what you play, you can get a used 6505 head for like 600$, so id recommend doing something like that.
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Vk can handle Thrash very well, i just ventured down that road because i coudlnt get it to do modern stuff. Which is what i purchased it for, was trying to turn it into a make shift 5150 which it is not lol. So i was actually going to sell it before i decided to give it one last shot and it surprised me. The thing can really ring out some metallica tones and keep up with speed metal. You just need a preamp tube change and speaker change thats the only down fall.

And there is no substitution for for tubes... I wouldnt go with an SS especially for thrash, you need that bit of warmth in there or it will just sound like Static X Playing Master of Puppets.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I love the tones of modern metal(ish) music as well, such as Shadows Fall, Children Of Bodom, Trivium, Atreyu and A7X, as well as the 80's thrash. I want both.
Quote by DashBlaster
Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I love the tones of modern metal(ish) music as well, such as Shadows Fall, Children Of Bodom, Trivium, Atreyu and A7X, as well as the 80's thrash. I want both.

Honestly its going to be hard to get both and get both on a budget. The best option is a used 5150 but its dark as hell. So playing thrash on it can be done but its still going to sound like a 5150 playing thrash. Like when they do those metallica tributes and your like holy hell that sounds nothing like it. I mean sure there playing it right and hitting the notes but thats not metallicas tpme. But the reverse is with the VK your not going to get those modern tones, yes they can be done but they will be muddier then hell.

So you just have to decide what you want more and what you can deal without..