ok, so i was thinking of getting these for my guitar after i get a new amp. does anyone have personal (emphasis on personal) experience with these pickups?
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I dont have much experience with them, but from what Ive tried, I liked. Definitely a different tone than EMGs, but I still think Id go for the EMGs over em
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
I dont have much experience with them, but from what Ive tried, I liked. Definitely a different tone than EMGs, but I still think Id go for the EMGs over em

i know emg's are supposed to be like the ultimate metal pickup. but do these ones have enough versatility to do like classic rock and maybe some jazz. i want active cuz i want my guitar to be really responsive/sensitive cuz when i hammer/pull or tap i don't do it very hard and with my pickups now they don't hardly sound out.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
mmm that's not a good reason to get actives bud....

here's a tip that many who get ur results aren't doing:

when you hammer down hammer down HARD, and here's the BIG secret!! gasp!! PULL SLIGHTLY DOWN on the string and THEN off (almost like a very very miniscule bend). do NOT just lift ur finger straight back up. this will make it sound smoother, more audible and be in correct techinique. it's funny cuz it's just a slight change in ur technique but makes a huge difference.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
mmm that's not a good reason to get actives bud....

here's a tip that many who get ur results aren't doing:

when you hammer down hammer down HARD, and here's the BIG secret!! gasp!! PULL SLIGHTLY DOWN on the string and THEN off (almost like a very very miniscule bend). do NOT just lift ur finger straight back up. this will make it sound smoother, more audible and be in correct techinique. it's funny cuz it's just a slight change in ur technique but makes a huge difference.

+1 to all of this. You can't buy better legato.
tapping and legato is perfectly audible on any kind of pup so if my advice doesn't work there maybe check ur settings on ur amp. also play w/ the guitar knobs. really i don't think new pups are gonna do anything except make the bad tapping results ur getting louder..
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by the.spine.surfs
+1 to all of this. You can't buy better legato.

Exactly.

How much could I upgrade my phrasing for, say... fifty bucks?
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
i see all my friends do it w/o doing it like I do and they get ur results....it's kinda a lazy habit that you gotta kill as soon as possible. think about the famous:

E: 8p5---8p5---8p5
B: ----5------5------5

blues lick. it doesn't sound great if you lift ur pinky straight off the fretboard when pulling off from the 8 to the 5, so you kinda pull the string downward (VERY slightly) with ur pinky and THEN pull off (this happens so fast it's a fraction of a second) and it sounds FULL and much better.

i hope this explained what i was saying earlier in case some people are like, "lol wut?"
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
anyways back to the topic of SD blackouts...
Quote by Cofflecakes
Quote by laurens666
Use the search button.
Thats the worst metal amp I've ever used...

lol
Quote by carniferous
Exactly.

How much could I upgrade my phrasing for, say... fifty bucks?

You can get 3 brilliant Clapton tripplets for that.
The store across the way is willing to give me a 300-note Steve Vai lick....
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
umm i'm not blind or dumb i know what the subject is about. i'm trying to keep him from WASTING MONEY on something if he can solve his problem by simply refining his technique. now i dunno if the tapping thing is the ONLY reason he wants new pups or not but either way if i can save a guitarist from throwing money down the drain for the wrong reason(s) then I WILL dammit.

so musicman, understand i'm not bashing you or hatin' on you, but if you're gonna insult my sincere advice don't do it by being hypocritical. post helpful suggestions, not smart remarks please.

late at night, stressful day, i'm not trying to be an ass but it's prolly comin off that way
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by carniferous
The store across the way is willing to give me a 300-note Steve Vai lick....

Damnit, Sam Ash always steals buisness from us. Oh well, I'm off to read my satanic bible. Er, GC Employee Handbook.
lol calm down jeez. I was trying to be a dick or anything and that wasn't directed towards you (let alone an insult). I just would like to know more about SD blackouts because I havn't heard anything about them here.

Plus we got the point across that legato is based on skill not pups. Isn't that all thats needed?

Just a bit of sarcasm thats all.
I forgot how serious people take things in defending their pride on forums haha
Quote by Cofflecakes
Quote by laurens666
Use the search button.
Thats the worst metal amp I've ever used...

lol
i assumed it was directed at me since i spent a couple posts explaining a good legato/tapping technique. which in any other case wouldn't have anything to do w/ the topic but in this case it may if the TS will get back to us and let us know if that's the only problem he's having.

pride? eh....i got pride yea but don't show it too much on UG. besides, the moment you admit liking a band like Kid Rock it doesn't matter how much pride you have you will be eternally shamed. i love it when people hear that i like him and go " omg sellout fanboy noob has NO taste in music" but after a day they completely forget and actually regard me as a knowledgeable person of good taste on these forums. goes to show how much other's opinions really mean on here.

anyways THAT'S off topic and i'm guilty this time. so TS!!! get back to us please!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
back to topic. I have Blackouts and EMG's in a Epiphone Les Paul Custom & PRS SE Singlecut respectively.

PRS is no. 1 guitar cos the EMG 60 gives me better cleans which is necessary for my band.

Blackouts are very similar, with slightly more output and wider mid frequencies. Don't find a lot of difference between the EMG 81 and B/O bridge. They are very aggressive for playing metal and should be avoided if cleans are an important part of your tone. The neck pickup is powerful, more likened to an EMG 85 and is fantastic for leads. The pickups excel for lead playing due to the high output and maybe have a slight advantage over the EMG's in this area with there being more mids organically in the tone.

Either way, both are crystal clear and you'll hear every string ring out in chords and have enhanced sustain.

I honestly don't find a lot between them to say one is better than the other company, so I go for EMG's cause the 60/81 gives me versatility and better cleans.

Blackouts are excellent for high gain and lead playing, but i wouldn't use em for cleans, too harsh.
I've played a guitar or two with blackouts, and honestly, they didn't live up to the hype. They sound nice and all, but I still much prefer a set of EMGs.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
ok. thanks for all the help. but i don't actually think my technique on legato stuff is that bad. i do the thing with pulling my finger down on pulls and stuff but i think my pickups just aren't good enough. they're stock IBZ's that came with the guitar but maybe a new amp will help. i'll just have to see. thanks again for all the input.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A